[Football] American invasion of the Premier League - the end of promotion/relegation?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I'm pointing out that yours and JRG's justification for your theory is basically "all Americans think exactly the same". Now, let's swap the word "American" for "Arabs" or "black people" and what have we got?

Absolutely not - the billionaires in the USA are no different to the British billionaires, the Arab shiekhs or the Russian and Chinese oligarchs. In fact the USA is one of the most inequitable countries in the world because it never had a (now dwindling) welfare state like most of Europe. 50million workers in America earn less than €7,000 a year. The living standards of working class people in the USA is at the same level as it was in 1966. America is one of the most deeply divided societies on the planet - hence why there is a raft of fundamentalists, creationists, anti-vaccers, Proud Boys and Trumpites on one side and mass campaigns against oppression on the other. I fully support the American working class as it strives for social, economic and political emancipation.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I'd argue that where they do think similarly is in an effort to beat each other and effectively be "best billionaire" which means, funnily enough, innovation and doing things their way, not colluding together. If you really think that Boehly, FSG and the guys that run Barnsley are some kind of Borg hive mind you're madder than I thought. The big clubs will only collude together until one of their interests is being damaged.

The billionaires will collude when it is in their financial interests to do so - they have been doing it for decades.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Absolutely not - the billionaires in the USA are no different to the British billionaires, the Arab shiekhs or the Russian and Chinese oligarchs. In fact the USA is one of the most inequitable countries in the world because it never had a (now dwindling) welfare state like most of Europe. 50million workers in America earn less than €7,000 a year. The living standards of working class people in the USA is at the same level as it was in 1966. America is one of the most deeply divided societies on the planet - hence why there is a raft of fundamentalists, creationists, anti-vaccers, Proud Boys and Trumpites on one side and mass campaigns against oppression on the other. I fully support the American working class as it strives for social, economic and political emancipation.

I’m sure they are very grateful. Or they will be when they get back from KFC :)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't be a fool these people/groups are here to get out what they want and we all know give it time The ESL will happened and The EPL a closed shop. Forget this joke attitude it will never happen,because it will.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Lot of side tracking on here and individuals being made to run the gauntlet of NSC punches.

The OP put out a theory about how the PL might evolve into a no relegation/promotion set up and yes elaborated that it is more possible if we have more US owners based on what has happened the US with their major sports.

Why do people think this is not credible? The PL has changed things massively and it has eroded the position of football fans that attend games so much so that it was ok to put a game on boxing day at 20:00 when there was no public transport. You can't get there oh dear but you can watch it on telly if you pay us even though you have already paid for your seat.

Match attending fans are a vociferous , passionate group who won't want a 'no promotion/relegation league' BUT they are a very small part of the structure and when it comes to money, its the TV audience that counts and many of that audience have a different view. The big six boards have already made it clear what they would like (well maybe not Chelsea) when they wanted an ESL so thinking that this could never happen is IMO pretty naive. I would hazard a guess that it is more likely if we have more US money not because I am anti US but soley because they have grown up with that model in major sports.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Unfortunately, I think points raised in the original post will come true in a few years. I can see a game 39 being back on the agenda with relegation / promotion being put under threat. Government needs to step in and protect the game otherwise the foreign owners will start changing the rules to suit them / their bank balance. A lot will have been learnt from the ESL fiasco and any changes will be slowly put into place following a careful but powerful PR campaign.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lot of side tracking on here and individuals being made to run the gauntlet of NSC punches.

The OP put out a theory about how the PL might evolve into a no relegation/promotion set up and yes elaborated that it is more possible if we have more US owners based on what has happened the US with their major sports.

Why do people think this is not credible? The PL has changed things massively and it has eroded the position of football fans that attend games so much so that it was ok to put a game on boxing day at 20:00 when there was no public transport. You can't get there oh dear but you can watch it on telly if you pay us even though you have already paid for your seat.

Match attending fans are a vociferous , passionate group who won't want a 'no promotion/relegation league' BUT they are a very small part of the structure and when it comes to money, its the TV audience that counts and many of that audience have a different view. The big six boards have already made it clear what they would like (well maybe not Chelsea) when they wanted an ESL so thinking that this could never happen is IMO pretty naive. I would hazard a guess that it is more likely if we have more US money not because I am anti US but soley because they have grown up with that model in major sports.

Yes, his thread post was legitimate.

Perhaps we haven't argued against the fear well enough.

The fact is that if the EPL goes 'no relegation' they are likely in contravention of UEFA laws and certainly in contravention of UEFA conventions. So....booted out of the Champions' League.

And then the players could be excluded from internationals.

Transfer between EPL and the rest of the world could be blocked.

The fans may enjoy the Harlem Globe Trotters for a while, but....

America and Americans are interesting. But they are not that stupid. Or vindictive.

There, I managed to say all that without playing the man. Give me a syrup, a posy and a kiss on the cheek.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, his thread post was legitimate.

Perhaps we haven't argued against the fear well enough.

The fact is that if the EPL goes 'no relegation' they are likely in contravention of UEFA laws and certainly in contravention of UEFA conventions. So....booted out of the Champions' League.

And then the players could be excluded from internationals.

Transfer between EPL and the rest of the world could be blocked.

The fans may enjoy the Harlem Globe Trotters for a while, but....

America and Americans are interesting. But they are not that stupid. Or vindictive.

There, I managed to say all that without playing the man. Give me a syrup, a posy and a kiss on the cheek.

Phew. Feel calmer now when you've invented some UEFA regulations to protect the PL...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not necessarily disagreeing with that. I'm not reading that essay.

What I find very annoying is that I make a thread about football and the Premier League and its future and it takes ten minutes before GB wants to derail the thread into being about my personal views on America as a whole and some kind of Americans vs Arabs thing.

Can't have a sensible discussion on this board without this wanker destroying and derailing the thread into (irrelevant) politics and personal shit and it is pretty ****ing tiresome.

I did read it. I'd ask for that minute of my life back, but I'd probably only waste it.

You need to master the art of ignoring people you find annoying or who disagree with you. British secondary education is great at instilling that skill, it's probably basically the same as zen or something. I daresay there's some Swedish equivalent.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I did read it. I'd ask for that minute of my life back, but I'd probably only waste it.

You need to master the art of ignoring people you find annoying or who disagree with you. British secondary education is great at instilling that skill, it's probably basically the same as zen or something. I daresay there's some Swedish equivalent.

You can't put a moderator on ignore.

???

:O

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not necessarily disagreeing with that. I'm not reading that essay.

What I find very annoying is that I make a thread about football and the Premier League and its future and it takes ten minutes before GB wants to derail the thread into being about my personal views on America as a whole and some kind of Americans vs Arabs thing.

Can't have a sensible discussion on this board without this wanker destroying and derailing the thread into (irrelevant) politics and personal shit and it is pretty ****ing tiresome.

:lolol:

You’re in great form these past couple of days, Bozza should pay you royalties per click.

C0136A5B-6EB5-4829-BC6E-FC08ED832516.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Relax, and enjoy your weekend :thumbsup:

After the succees of T20 and (gawd help us) The Hundred rejuvenating test and county cricket, shirley footbal. must follow? A good light show, with lasers and loud music befire the game starts (just penalties - no silly buggering abiut with 22 players chasing a football - stupid waste of advertising opportunities) - folllowed post match by a CGI Britney Soears concert - with an attractive range of food outlets (including novelty burgers made of fried rubber and frankfurters made of ................... well, just leave that one there, methinks). It's for Fammleys, innitI

What could possibly go wrong?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm pointing out that yours and JRG's justification for your theory is basically "all Americans think exactly the same". Now, let's swap the word "American" for "Arabs" or "black people" and what have we got?

I agree with you on this.

Citeh - Arabs
ManU - Yanks
Chelsea - Yanks
Liverpool - Yanks
Spurs - Brit living in a tax haven
Arsenal - Yanks
Newcastle - Arabs

Everton - behind Moshiri, Putin’s mate Usmanov (worth £15b) waiting for the genocide furore to subside.

Juve - Italians
Real - meant to be members, but a Castilian handles the financial doping with help from a biased government.
Atletico - Spanish
Barca - Catalans
AC Milan - yanks
Internazionale - Chinese

It’s a hotchpotch of global billionaires. No doubt Gold/Sullivan will be selling to an overseas billionaire of any nationality when a huge sum is offered.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
After the succees of T20 and (gawd help us) The Hundred rejuvenating test and county cricket, shirley footbal. must follow?

The Hundred hasn't been a success. It's cost millions and the thinking now is that it will never break even. TV audiences were 20% down this season and attendance stayed the same (there was a projected YOY increase). The trouble is that the Hundred has had a knock-on effect on the T20 Blast and those attendances are down too.

I'd say what's happened in cricket is an object lesson in not messing around too much with a format.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports