Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Express sponsorship

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My stepmum bought my son a new kit from the Amex shop when we were down the other week. She paid with her Amex card after asking the lad on the till if they accepted it.

I said it'd be ironic if they didn't and he laughed and said that actually they didn't used to (presumably because of the charge to retailer thing).

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
No annual fee On my Amex card, but as has been said, they charge a fee to the retailer, like MasterCard and Visa do.

Sometimes people think Amex charge more that the other two, but it's more likely that Amex take their fee straight away at the time of the transaction whereas the other two tend to take their fee on a monthly basis.

Either way, credit card companies do it for their own benefit, the trick is to pay it all off in full each month.

From a retailers perspective, Amex charge a little more, 1.9% compared to about 1.2% for Visa/Mastercard, also the money takes a day or two more to hit your account. That is why a lot of retailers don't accept Amex, and I presume also why a lot of Amex cards come with cashback, or incentive points of some kind.

As a consumer I had a cashback credit card, not sure who from, taken over by Barclays, and is now an Amex card, that gives 1% cashback, with no annual fee. Do all your spending on it, pay it off each month, end of year, a nice £80-100 cashback

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Believe that would come.under the money laden gulf state airlines heading

Indeed it does. Both Emirates and Etihad are UAE based airlines and are owned by a state that is described by one observer as "a nasty little theocracy in a shopping mall", is currently in the process of cracking down on democracy, and treats its "guest workers" like slaves. Not a country I would want my football team to be associated with.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
From a retailers perspective, Amex charge a little more, 1.9% compared to about 1.2% for Visa/Mastercard, also the money takes a day or two more to hit your account. That is why a lot of retailers don't accept Amex, and I presume also why a lot of Amex cards come with cashback, or incentive points of some kind.

As a consumer I had a cashback credit card, not sure who from, taken over by Barclays, and is now an Amex card, that gives 1% cashback, with no annual fee. Do all your spending on it, pay it off each month, end of year, a nice £80-100 cashback

Not always dearer, for my wife's business (dealing in antiques and art) Amex is the lowest percentage of the three, but as you say, they hang onto your money, and take their fees rather promptly.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Emirates?

A subsidiary of The Emirates Group, which is wholly owned by the government of Dubai's Investment Corporation of Dubai.

Dubai is not exactly a bastion of human rights.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Depends on the retailer - they're negotiable depending on volume etc but Amex has always been higher than MC and Visa.

I've got a Hilton credit card (it's a white labelled barclaycard). No fee, and get points towards hotel stays. Usually rack up enough for 2 or 3 free nights a year, and it also guarantees a Hilton membership gold card meaning I almost always get a room upgrade, free breakfast, free WiFi and stuff. Def worth having some form of points / cashback card if you spend enough on it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do all my spending on BA AMEX, actually between myself & girlfriend we hit the target on both our cards, triggering 2x 2-4-1 vouchers. Annual fee of £150 per card but well worth it.

Its rare that you find retailers that don't take AMEX, and actually a lot of local ones do now as I presume part of Shop Small meant smaller transaction fees for retailers of this type.

Long live AMEX.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Just been looking through the list of shirt sponsors in the Premier League and Championship. Without doubt we have the most impressive sponsor in the two leagues.

A plethora of clubs have lowlife betting company sponsors, some have their owners’ companies as sponsor, then we have the money-laden Gulf airlines with their unpleasant national governments, third-rate car companies (Chevrolet and Suzuki), a number of companies I have never heard of (Mansion, GWFX, AIA), a couple of national tourist boards, and various local companies such as Flamingo Land sponsoring Hull.

The only other sponsorships that come anywhere close are Standard Chartered (Liverpool), Aviva (Norwich) and Virgin Trains (PNE), but none of them have anywhere near the global clout, class and style of our very own American Express.

Thank you American Express for your sponsorship of our football club. Proud to have the Amex name on our shirts, our stadium and our centre of excellence.

While I think Amex's sponsorship is impressive, others have pointed out bigger global companies involved in shirt sponsorship.

So I would say Amex's involvement is arguably the most impressive given the size and stature of the football club.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Amex is great. Kudos and strong links with the city and all but...

I still pine for NOBO.
Skint always defined us as a club in that period..... I actually wish they had enough money to still sponsor us....that was Kudos.

Jukesy

Apr 13, 2011
According to the 1st post 'a plethora of clubs have lowlife betting companies as sponsors' blimey does the poster not realise that your club, the ground, the training ground, the debts every year & the wages paid while you were at withdean were all funded by Tony Bloom who yes you've guessed it owns a 'lowlife betting company'.

I hope the guy is on a wind up otherwise it's the biggest hypocrisy you have produced yet.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
According to the 1st post 'a plethora of clubs have lowlife betting companies as sponsors' blimey does the poster not realise that your club, the ground, the training ground, the debts every year & the wages paid while you were at withdean were all funded by Tony Bloom who yes you've guessed it owns a 'lowlife betting company'.

Does he? I didn't know that, which one?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

I hope the guy is on a wind up otherwise it's the biggest hypocrisy you have produced yet.

Any involvement Tony Bloom has with the betting industry is not at the low-life end.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
While I think Amex's sponsorship is impressive, others have pointed out bigger global companies involved in shirt sponsorship.

So I would say Amex's involvement is arguably the most impressive given the size and stature of the football club.

I stick by my opinion that American Express has as much global clout as any other sponsorship company.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
American Express is 22nd on Forbes World's Most Valuable Brands list. Impressive!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

I don't think you actually know what it is you're on about.

Best you find out, then come back to us.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I stick by my opinion that American Express has as much global clout as any other sponsorship company.

American Express is 22nd on Forbes World's Most Valuable Brands list. Impressive!

Not doubting their global clout for a second. No-one can.

But 'most impressive in football'? That's highly subjective, especially when you consider the numbers involved in the sponsorship deals at Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal etc. Therefore I'll stick by my opinion that it's arguably the most impressive for a club of our size.

Jukesy

Apr 13, 2011
I don't think you actually know what it is you're on about.

Best you find out, then come back to us.

From his Biog

Bloom, 44, studied maths at Manchester University, then became a professional gambler, a trader in the City and eventually made a fortune setting up online betting firm Premierbet in 2002

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here