Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Amazon to Stop Accepting UK Issued Visa Credit Cards from January

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I don't think so. I imagine the tech changes needed to reverse this decision can't be put back into place by 16th Jan even if Visa back down now.

Oh they could easily, it really doesnt take any time to roll back a relatively simple change like which card types can be accepted, 5 minute job

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't think so. I imagine the tech changes needed to reverse this decision can't be put back into place by 16th Jan even if Visa back down now.

I think for Amazon to have gone public in such a structured way, telling their customers and the press directly, they will have been negotiating for a good while and drawn a blank. I think this is a bigger strategic play to try and force all schemes to reduce fees when they next come to the negotiating table so they will have to go through with it at least for a year or so.

How so ? Visa can sign up a new retailer and the account will be active within days (at worst). This is all about exercising pressure.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Best thing to do in the short term is to grab the £20 credit for switching to your debit card (or another Cr/Card) if you have one, then in the likely event next year they come to an agreement you can switch back, and will have bagged the free £20.

Just done this myself, and got the £20 instantly. If in Jan they sort their issues back with Visa Cr Cards then I'll swap it back.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mostly a blow to Barclaycard / HSBC issued as majority of Visa's UK portfolio is Debit.

Ref to Amex, they issue a co-brand card with Amazon so cannot see Amazon suppressing Amex cards.

As a relevant aside, NatWest Group is currently switching all 16m debit card customers from Visa to Mastercard at renewal. Visa seem to be losing a bit of traction in the UK.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

tech changes? a line of code in accepted payment method. 5 minute job (plus a week regression testing)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Best thing to do in the short term is to grab the £20 credit for switching to your debit card (or another Cr/Card) if you have one, then in the likely event next year they come to an agreement you can switch back, and will have bagged the free £20.

Just done this myself, and got the £20 instantly. If in Jan they sort their issues back with Visa Cr Cards then I'll swap it back.

Definitely...........free money.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
As a relevant aside, NatWest Group is currently switching all 16m debit card customers from Visa to Mastercard at renewal. Visa seem to be losing a bit of traction in the UK.

Santander are doing the same, my debit card changed to Mastercard back in August when my old Visa debit card expired.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bit annoying as we use a Hilton-branded Visa card for almost all our spending (loads of which is via Amazon) which gets us a lot of free hotel stays (plus upgrades etc).................it'll be Avios with Amex instead I guess. First-world problems :shrug:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Who would have thought visa costs would increase when public not protected by EU laws. Simplistic way of phrasing it. But wouldn’t have happened without brexit. Oh well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
tbf in case of Amazon, they are the consumer protection. have a problem and they'll refund or replace without question.

I agree. In June there was a problem with some manufacturers of dry cat food.
A large bag of kitten food had been delivered a week before the recall, so we contacted Amazon, who refunded us immediately, and told us to take the bag of food to the local tip.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Now lets look at which credit company runs the 'Amazon' credit card and the Amazon reward scheme .... hmmm !

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS

This - did this myself to get £20 off the Last Night In Soho 4K release. I can see this offer disappearing, either due to a deal with Visa, or due to hefty usage by Amazon customers.

It relies on you adding a new, non-Visa Credit card, or a Visa Debit card to your account, and making it the default payment method. If you already have one in your payment methods, I wouldn't advise removing it, then re-adding it to get the deal. Oh no. That wouldn't be sporting.

I'd also check any preorders or subscriptions you have with them due after the cut-off date if you've had a Visa Credit card as your default, to save hassle - you can go into the orders and change the payment method.

I would be amazed though if an agreement wasn't made between the two parties. But worth snapping up the offer now in case one DOES happen and they withdraw it! :D

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Bit inconvenient, I tend to use my Visa credit card for most purchases each month then settle in full when billed, as previously pointed out, mainly for extra consumer protection. This protection must come at a cost hence Visa being a more expensive player in the credit card business. Hope they are able to reach some sort of compromise as I don't wish to use my debit card for online purchases.

Buyer protection is standard across all credit transactions, not specific to VISA despite what they’d have you believe with their ‘altruistic’ advertising.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Stopped using Amazon on principle 3 years ago. Don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy what they need from elsewhere.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Now lets look at which credit company runs the 'Amazon' credit card and the Amazon reward scheme .... hmmm !

Totally irrelevant. AMEX made a deal acceptable to AMAZON. They don’t have the same Monopoly (arrogance) that VISA have and obv met in the middle. AMEX offer a HUGE amount of incentive above and beyond simply processing small value trans for the masses and nothing more. Not an exaggeration. AMEX offer endless additional services and benefits to card members and merchants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here