Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon prime. Do you use it? We have it and did not realise.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Happy to have Prime for the free/quick delivery. I'm still to wade in for this Christmas.

It now includes the old LoveFilm (TV shows and films) as well as Prime Music (c1m tracks I believe), Prime Photos (free back-up of all your photos) and a Kindle lending library (a limited selection of e-books you can borrow to read free of charge).

Well worth it, I think.

Shouldn't you admit to an itsy bitsy conflict of interest though when puffing Amazon ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why?

Normally excellent service means I don't have to fight traffic going into town, don't have to pay ridiculous parking charges, free returns. You're right, best avoided. Now where did I put my car keys-I fancy sitting for ages in traffic then paying more than necessary for Christmas gifts?

I get stuff from Amazon from time to time and get it delivered to my workplace and have no problem with standard delivery times, I said I avoid Prime.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Shouldn't you admit to an itsy bitsy conflict of interest though when puffing Amazon ?

Does it bother you?

I've used Prime for years. I've never pushed Prime on here despite Amazon repeatedly pushing me to push it. That's primarily because I'm lazy, however.

But, yes, if people choose to buy from Amazon having clicked through from NSC then NSC earns a small amount of commission.

If, however, someone does want to try Prime for free (to get your Christmas presents on time), please click here to do so: http://www.amazon.co.uk/tryprimefree?tag=northstandcha-21 NSC will get three English Pounds if you do.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Does it bother you?

I've used Prime for years. I've never pushed Prime on here despite Amazon repeatedly pushing me to push it. That's primarily because I'm lazy, however.

But, yes, if people choose to buy from Amazon having clicked through from NSC then NSC earns a small amount of commission.

If, however, someone does want to try Prime for free (to get your Christmas presents on time), please click here to do so: http://www.amazon.co.uk/tryprimefree?tag=northstandcha-21 NSC will get three English Pounds if you do.

Brilliant !

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Prime is brilliant.........if you use Amazon regularly.

Free next day delivery plus Amazon video (some very good shows, I'm watching the Man in the High Castle at present) and music.

The Man in the High Castle is very good. As is Mr Robot.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'm sorry, but I still believe you're probably mistaken there.

It won't have been the exact same item from the same merchant. If you are with Prime, Amazon promotes the Prime-able listings, but you'll still have non-Prime-able Marketplace sellers available to you. So what is presented to a Prime member and a non-Prime member (or non-signed in user) may look different as when you are logged in as Prime member, Amazon knows stuff about you which shapes the algorithm as to how things are presented.

The £6 item would have been available to the Prime member, it may not have been as obvious however due to the prominence of the Prime-able item.

I'd be very interested if you were able to find a single example of where the same item is being sold by one merchant at two difference prices based on Prime membership.

The item was this Power Adaptor which is no longer available. At the time the page was very specific about there being no discount available for Prime users, which we both thought was odd so both of us, one Prime member one not, tried it on the same laptop with the results mentioned above.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Have to admit I was 1 of the 1000's that fell for the "3 months free Prime" to get a delivery quickly once and completely forgot to cancel it, and didn't realise until they took £79 from bank account.

I know it is 100% my fault, but I really do think it is an abhorent practice to do it the way they do. Here, have something for free, but if you forget in 3 months time we're going to charge you £79. :nono:

I seemingly had it for ages before I realised I was paying the full whack after having forgotten that I had signed up for the initial trial :facepalm:. I just thought they had upped their game.
Have kept with it, and gone all in with the purchase of a fire stick so use it a lot now. Prime are also offering more and more 'downloadable for viewing offline' options which makes the commute more bearable.
TV shows on Amazon Prime are starting to get better although I think the choice on Netflix is far greater but I can't quite get my head round signing up for that too.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As others have said, it's not really a problem as if you don't want to pay the £79 it only takes a few clicks and they refund it almost immediately.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
They don't make it clear, quite the opposite in fact, but if you sign up for the free trial you can cancel straight away and still use Prime until it expires.

100% this. Every time I get one of these free trials I immediately cancel it and then no longer have to worry about the money being taken

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I previously subscribed to lovefilm. When Amazon took it over, they replaced the lovefilm streaming service with amazon prime, but only the video streaming part.

I worked out that I was paying around £72 a year just for the video stream, so decided to get rid of that and sign up to amazon proper, so for a mere 7 pound extra I get all that I had before, plus free music streaming, free delivery (though like the other poster above, I usually go for the no-rush delivery in exchange for digital credit and have accrued over £20 of credit in the last couple of months - thanks in part to black friday weekend offering £3 credit instead of £1) and early access to lightning deals. I don't have a kindle device, so don't benefit from their free book service (it didn't work through the app on my ipad last time I tried).

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Also be careful about goods not covered by Prime.

Earlier this year I needed a present to be quickly delivered and signed up for Prime, thinking about future purchases.

Last week I wanted to buy a Box Set. Amazon had it but another company on their site had the same product £6 cheaper (both were new).

So I purchased the cheaper one and surprise, surprise not covered by Prime. So to purchase the goods direct from Amazon I would have had to pay £6 more to use Prime I had already paid for. Nice profits!!!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Also be careful about goods not covered by Prime.

Earlier this year I needed a present to be quickly delivered and signed up for Prime, thinking about future purchases.

Last week I wanted to buy a Box Set. Amazon had it but another company on their site had the same product £6 cheaper (both were new).

So I purchased the cheaper one and surprise, surprise not covered by Prime. So to purchase the goods direct from Amazon I would have had to pay £6 more to use Prime I had already paid for. Nice profits!!!
You don't appear to understand how the marketplace works then. Sometimes you win, sometimes lose with Amazon. But it is not a con that Amazon's price was higher in this instance, that's just a specific variable. The cheaper set was sold by an independent seller, not Amazon so why would you expect Amazon to pay for quick postage from someone who is not them?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
You don't appear to understand how the marketplace works then. Sometimes you win, sometimes lose with Amazon. But it is not a con that Amazon's price was higher in this instance, that's just a specific variable. The cheaper set was sold by an independent seller, not Amazon so why would you expect Amazon to pay for quick postage from someone who is not them?

Because I bought it on Amazons site and they took the money. So this wonderful Prime isn't such a deal after all.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because I bought it on Amazons site and they took the money. So this wonderful Prime isn't such a deal after all.
Yes, but they are third party sellers. The money, most of it, goes to the seller who pay Amazon a fee, like eBay, for hosting their product.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Have to admit I was 1 of the 1000's that fell for the "3 months free Prime" to get a delivery quickly once and completely forgot to cancel it, and didn't realise until they took £79 from bank account.

I know it is 100% my fault, but I really do think it is an abhorent practice to do it the way they do. Here, have something for free, but if you forget in 3 months time we're going to charge you £79. :nono:

Yep, same here. Fortunately, they didn't kick up too much of a fuss when I cancelled and asked for a refund.

Dec 29, 2011
I previously subscribed to lovefilm. When Amazon took it over, they replaced the lovefilm streaming service with amazon prime, but only the video streaming part.

I worked out that I was paying around £72 a year just for the video stream, so decided to get rid of that and sign up to amazon proper, so for a mere 7 pound extra I get all that I had before, plus free music streaming, free delivery (though like the other poster above, I usually go for the no-rush delivery in exchange for digital credit and have accrued over £20 of credit in the last couple of months - thanks in part to black friday weekend offering £3 credit instead of £1) and early access to lightning deals. I don't have a kindle device, so don't benefit from their free book service (it didn't work through the app on my ipad last time I tried).
They pay you for slower delivery if you have prime? So if you order 80 items and get £1 back each time prime is effectively free?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Yep, same here. Fortunately, they didn't kick up too much of a fuss when I cancelled and asked for a refund.
Same here, last year.

Whatever box it is you apparently tick is not clear at all and that's illegal:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

It is not the consumers' fault if people have fallen for this.

Insist on a refund if duped into it unknowlingly, even if well past the 14 days cooling off period (because you never knew about the contract in the first place).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They pay you for slower delivery if you have prime? So if you order 80 items and get £1 back each time prime is effectively free?

They pay in credit for their digital store, so you can only spend it on their digital music, digital films, kindle books, and apps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here