Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon Fire stick (jail broken).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Jailbreaking is the correct term for a device that is freed from manufacturer restrictions if it's made by Apple. Amazon's devices use a skinned version of android. The correct term is 'rooted' not jailbroken.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
That's fair enough, though Google maps is on iOS. Agree regarding iTunes, I use CopyTrans and have done for years. As for storage it is pain, though I see the flagship android phones don't seem to have expandable storage anymore. With the 'cloud' starting to find its way I guess it's not so much of an issue any more, I find it works well. I get an google android phone provided with my job, and have my own iOS phone. I still find the apple phone more user friendly, but can't really fault the samsung for ability, though I find some of the apps I use are a bit flakey on google android, Linked In, Sky Sports News for example.

Never felt the need to delete any of the pre-installed apps on either phone, but the samsung wrapper os is quite clunky and there seems to be a huge amount of bloatware pre-installed. I believe you can 'root' google phones but as its a work phone it's probably best I leave it as it is. I don't play music on it so storage isn't really an issue so it does a decent job as a work phone, it seems to get half decent cellular reception, even though it's on O2, and 4G is great for receiving large files. Have to say though, the email apps I've tried are just terrible compared to Mail on iOS.

Still not sure what the genuine reasons for jail breaking are, no-one has been able to convince me it's worth negating the warranty on my apple for, though I guess on a google phone it makes sense if it gets rid of the Sony/Samsung/Huwai over cladding of android which I think is unnecessary, and as I said on my Google phone is completely overbearing.

You can disable apps you don't want on android. It will not delete but will stop them from running and taking up system memory etc. I have never felt the need to root any of my devices but I have done for people who have asked.
Some people just like playing with the look of their phone, they add custom roms etc. I just like to have what I want without any hassle. Hence I hated iTunes and went to android, I also think that apple devices are overpriced. The cost of repairs on apple are a rip off as well, its easy to change iphone screens/batteries etc but apple charge ridiculous prices to do so.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Jailbreaking is not all about stealing, its also about customising.

I left iOS because I could not delete the installed apps that were already on it, I could not expand the storage, apple maps are rubbish in comparison to Google maps and I abhor iTunes. I did find a workaround to getting files/music on my iPhone without jailbreaking but its a lot less hassle on android.

I never said there were genuine reasons to steal content, I said there were genuine reasons for jailbreaking that does not include stealing.

And Here maps (made by Nokia) are better than both. Free app and once you've downloaded the maps you want, you can use them offline wherever you like. No data eating like with Google.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Are pretty good but you will need a fast bb connection to stop any buffering. Can crash every so often which is annoying!!
Need to update the build and addons to Kodi from time to time. latest one is Paradox which I think is replacing TheBlackBox. There are videos on youtube and chat groups on Facebook that tell you how to do this. A good FB group is called KODI/TheBlackBox help and discussion group. All sounded pretty complicated when I first got it but its not too bad, and can save a fortune on TV packages!!!!

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Blimey didn't think we were getting technical about it ! I prefer the yes, no, yes answers as I can understand them. Perhaps I should have titled it 'can I get sky sports on a (naughty) Amazon Fire stick'.

So I'll need a good internet speed is the actual answer. And no, it will not be replacing sky.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm going to ask two genuine questions if I may.

What was it you wanted to do on your iPhone that you couldn't?

What are the genuine reasons to steal content that is made available for sale by the companies that produce it?
Are you serious ??Because you'd prefer to get it for free obviously !

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Are you serious ??Because you'd prefer to get it for free obviously !

I misunderstood the post he made where I thought he said there were genuine reasons to steal content that is for sale, but he clarified that wasn't what he meant.

I think 'super phil' may work in the industry so is slightly biased.

Not at all, in any way. I just don't think it's right to obtain digital content through means that are illegal.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And Here maps (made by Nokia) are better than both. Free app and once you've downloaded the maps you want, you can use them offline wherever you like. No data eating like with Google.
Google maps has had downloadable content for offline navigation for a while now.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Not at all, in any way. I just don't think it's right to obtain digital content through means that are illegal.

I'm willing to be corrected here but watching content online such as sky, movies etc is not actually illegal. Only downloading the content is.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015

I can use Google maps offline. Though I must admit, have never used that as have built in sat nav now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Google maps has had downloadable content for offline navigation for a while now.

I can use Google maps offline. Though I must admit, have never used that as have built in sat nav now.

Fair enough, didn't realise that.

Work mate recently said he'd used up nearly all his data allowance on Google maps while in Australia, so assumed their maps still used data, as was the case last time I read up on it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Assuming this is the latest and most accurate advice for using Google maps offline? :https://www.androidpit.com/use-your-google-maps-offline That seems very limited and a bit of a pfaff.

Here maps lets you download any of about 200 countries, and with large countries like France you can just download the regions you want. They stay on your device for as long as you want them. All you need really is decent storage space for the large files and wifi is best for the downloading obviously.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Just a point to note. It's not necessary to root an Amazon Fire stick to install Kodi. You can side load it, takes about half an hour, when done works perfectly.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Just a point to note. It's not necessary to root an Amazon Fire stick to install Kodi. You can side load it, takes about half an hour, when done works perfectly.

Be careful with this, since Amazon updated to 5.05 I do not know or have read of anyone who has been able to do this. No doubt a fix will be found but at the moment I don't think it's possible anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here