Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amazing analytics

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Some incredible numbers showing how Brighton’s goal scoring system under RDZ is showing a sustainable progression of improvement in the Club’s performance - what we mostly knew anyway but gave me a buzz to read - hope others feel a similar sense of confidence that I do looking at these:

At full-time at the Amex on Saturday, Brighton were the top-scoring side across Europe’s top-five leagues (Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Bundesliga), in all competitions, since the post-World Cup resumption — 17 goals and scoring at an average of once every 26.5 minutes.”

“Under De Zerbi, Brighton rank seventh in the Premier League for xG (17.06), scoring seven more goals than the average conversion rate of the chances made. Only Newcastle can match them for goals scored (24) in that time.”

“But there is serious sustainability to Brighton’s approach play, as they rank second for possession (60% average) and third for final-third pass accuracy (83.2%) — they are the third-most accurate shooters in the league (43.3%) and have created the fifth-most big chances (30), scoring just under half (14) and finishing these chances at an above-average rate.”

Full write up on the BHA App for those that have access but it’s looking very good isn’t it for the foreseeable future under RDZ 🙂

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just as an aside to the above in anticipation of the ’we need a striker!’ arguments to resurface if Trossard goes in this window:

• 17 goals in 5 games without Trossard
  • Last Trossard last appearances were PL Soton match on December 26 for 83’ (before being subbed by Ferguson with goals from Lallana and Gross) and PL Arsenal match on 31 December for 60’ (before being subbed by Ferguson who scored off the bench)
  • Last full 90 Premier League appearance by Tross on 13 November before WC break
  • Solly (4 since 26th Dec) Gross, March, Welbz, Ferguson, Mitoma, Lallana, Mac Allister, and Undav all on the score sheet so remains to be seen if RDZ changes his mind but the analysis show at least goal scoring has not suffered in Tross’s absence.

Btw - there’s a good analysis of Solly‘s stats too in the same article in the BHA link in post #1

As I said in first post - hope others are feeling a buzz looking at our xG and scoring stats cf to all of Europe’s top leagues!??

(Edited to correct error regarding Tross’s last appearance)

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m all for what you say, but maybe we will need a striker in Jan or the summer to come through if Tross goes? We’ll have 2 fit senior strikers (assuming Connolly / Zaq / the USG one / Sima aren’t considered. One suffers with injuries a fair bit and one is very, very young. May happen, may not - trust the club on this one.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just as an aside to the above in anticipation of the ’we need a striker!’ arguments to resurface if Trossard goes in this window:

• 17 goals in 5 games without Trossard
  • Last Trossard appearance was in Carabao on December 21 for 60mins
  • Last full 90 Premier League appearance by Tross on 13 November before WC break
  • Solly (4 since 26th Dec) Gross, March, Welbz, Ferguson, Mitoma, Lallana, Mac Allister, and Undav all on the score sheet so remains to be seen if RDZ changes his mind but the analysis show at least goal scoring has not suffered in Tross’s absence.

Btw - there’s a good analysis of Solly‘s stats too in the same article.

As I said in first post - hope others are feeling a buzz looking at our xG and scoring stats cf to all of Europe’s top leagues!??
Great stats, but Trossard played at Soton on Boxing Day.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Great stats, but Trossard played at Soton on Boxing Day.
😊 He did of course, apologies, I had forgotten to include that so edited accordingly - (subbed by Ferguson at 83’) - goals from Solly and Lallana of course.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think people were saying we need a striker before Ferguson stormed onto the scene and Danny came back from injury.

Trossard I don't think anyone has considered a true striker, just a forward who was scoring a bit.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think people were saying we need a striker before Ferguson stormed onto the scene and Danny came back from injury.

Trossard I don't think anyone has considered a true striker, just a forward who was scoring a bit.
- and for some folk, since Glen Murray left in 2020 🙂

RDZ has consistently played Tross as a striker (or false 9) along with Danny which is why he said he wasn’t targeting any for January (see link ) https://theathletic.com/3762476/202...de-zerbi-transfer/?source=user_shared_article but he is still our single top goal scorer - be interesting to see if RDZ changes his mind if Tross leaves in January but the goal scoring stats above suggest RDZ might still not see targeting a striker as a priority even if Tross leaves and prefer instead (for now) to continue building up a goal scoring system that spreads the opportunities amongst more players and develop the young ones coming in (Facu, Ferguson etc)

Interestingly - when you look at Citeh’s goal stats with Haaland on 17 of their 46 GF - that leaves 29 goals scored between the rest of the team which is amazing if you consider that minus the 7/35 goals scored by Tross (our top scorer) this season, the rest of our goal scorers efforts of 28/35 goals are behind Citeh’s non-Haaland goals total by only one goal which suggests growing competitiveness in the xG rating for our ‘non-strikers’ cf to Citeh and a great improvement on our conversion rate, although I haven’t checked them individually).

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Love the look of Ferguson. Welbeck gets injured, it’s just how it is and we accept that. This makes Ferguson a very real second choice, an 18 year old on the Premier League with about 6 professional football appearances to his name.

The club will obviously be looking for a forward. It’s all about the right player and right time at the right cost.

I trust the club implicitly. We have the best recruitment in the country, maybe the world.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Are there any stats about scoring (or not scoring) from corners? I recall one a while back suggesting it had had a huge number without scoring, and I can't think we've added one since.

Not a grumble, just an obvious issue.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Are there any stats about scoring (or not scoring) from corners? I recall one a while back suggesting it had had a huge number without scoring, and I can't think we've added one since.

I do think it's one (although I can't recall it, and it certainly wasn't scored by a defender, because they're yet to contribute this season), but surrounding the commentary at the w/e it was also stated that we've had over 100 corners this season for that return.
I understand the average scoring rate from corners in the PL is 3%.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

We're rubbish at corners, but so is everyone else - since 2010 only 3% of the corners taken in Europe's top five leagues have resulted in a goal (1-2% for the next touch after the corner resulting in a goal). Only 7% of corners lead to a shot on goal. 40% of corners fail to beat the first defender.

We all get disproportionately excited by corners.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
We're rubbish at corners, but so is everyone else - since 2010 only 3% of the corners taken in Europe's top five leagues have resulted in a goal (1-2% for the next touch after the corner resulting in a goal). Only 7% of corners lead to a shot on goal. 40% of corners fail to beat the first defender.

We all get disproportionately excited by corners.

A fun video to watch!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Brighton scored from 5 I think in 2022 according to AN but I can’t find a link to the original statistics on Opta. It was something GP recognised as an area for improvement (of course we were stronger defending from them) and bought in Nick Stanley to work on it - (not sure if there is a separate xG rating for corners online although I’m sure TB has the stats!?)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'App Exclusive Article'?

FFS!

BARBER OUT!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Another amazing analytic- Mitoma stats compared to Messi

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Some incredible numbers showing how Brighton’s goal scoring system under RDZ is showing a sustainable progression of improvement in the Club’s performance - what we mostly knew anyway but gave me a buzz to read - hope others feel a similar sense of confidence that I do looking at these:

At full-time at the Amex on Saturday, Brighton were the top-scoring side across Europe’s top-five leagues (Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Bundesliga), in all competitions, since the post-World Cup resumption — 17 goals and scoring at an average of once every 26.5 minutes.”

“Under De Zerbi, Brighton rank seventh in the Premier League for xG (17.06), scoring seven more goals than the average conversion rate of the chances made. Only Newcastle can match them for goals scored (24) in that time.”

“But there is serious sustainability to Brighton’s approach play, as they rank second for possession (60% average) and third for final-third pass accuracy (83.2%) — they are the third-most accurate shooters in the league (43.3%) and have created the fifth-most big chances (30), scoring just under half (14) and finishing these chances at an above-average rate.”

Full write up on the BHA App for those that have access but it’s looking very good isn’t it for the foreseeable future under RDZ 🙂

First 5 seasons in prem, 190 games, 190 goals scored average goal a game. This season, 35 goals in 18 games. As of last w-e we were one goal short of averaging 2 goals a game this season. I think that shows how far we have come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here