Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I the only one ?? England on TV

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
We win fruitless hope. And we win it big.

I'm pretty sure we've been top (or at least joint top) qualifiers in the past 2 WC qualifying campaigns.

I'm watching for sure, I very rarely miss England matches but I must confess I am much less bothered on whether we get anywhere nowadays. It's either my age, the fact Albion are consistently doing well (apart from a blip season!) or the relentless bettering I've taken from watching England choke at the finals of every tournament since '98.

I hardly missed a home game at the old Wembley many years ago but not sure i would bother now even if i was given a ticket....sad really

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'll be watching but expect Slovenia to park the bus and is to struggle to break them down resulting in half of Twitter and most of NSC declaring us 'shit' [emoji106]

This is the bit that gets me, teams frequently line up against England with no intention of trying to actually score, which is fine, that's their right.

In that situation, with the widely acknowledged lack of oomph in our squad (often mentioned by those who lead the boos), what do people expect?

An ugly win (which they often are) is still a win.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This is the bit that gets me, teams frequently line up against England with no intention of trying to actually score, which is fine, that's their right.

In that situation, with the widely acknowledged lack of oomph in our squad (often mentioned by those who lead the boos), what do people expect?

An ugly win (which they often are) is still a win.

Spot on. I get frustrated at times watching it too but you have to take into account what the opposition are doing. All 4 of our games in the Summer the teams lined up this way. Surprisingly Wales & Slovakia did. We struggle against this like a lot of teams do - but I'll always take an ugly win in football - especially if the ugliness comes largely as a result of the opposition. I'd say the Huddersfield game this season was like that for us a bit... We got promoted doing it against Brizzle at Cardiff too - but that was more us spooking the game! :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Swiss games were quite good if memory serves me right. It's difficult to play against teams intent on parking the bus though isn't it.. The Germany game was a great example of the sort of football we can play against better teams.

I'm not sure that the games against Switzerland were particularly watchable - certainly not memorable. It IS hard to play against uber-defensive teams, yes, but we simply don't have the gumption to turn dominance into watchable performances. That Germany game engendered hope, but it's the hope that kills you.

Now, if that had been in a tournament...

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
For everyone who grizzles at how SHIT we are - we've not actually lost a qualifier of any kind since losing 1-0 in Ukraine back in October 2009. FACT.

OK, we all know we stink at tournaments. But we are absolute MUSTARD at getting there.

But Easy - that's because we get crap other teams in our groups...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Do i get a free shirt? If so i am in, if not i refuse to watch the game and i will stop my family from doing so as well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not sure that the games against Switzerland were particularly watchable - certainly not memorable. It IS hard to play against uber-defensive teams, yes, but we simply don't have the gumption to turn dominance into watchable performances. That Germany game engendered hope, but it's the hope that kills you.

Now, if that had been in a tournament...

I agree to a point. But I'll keep on supporting & enjoying the wins even if scrappy - exactly the same as I do with BHA :thumbsup:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I know it sounds sad but I like to see the goals come through from the other matches so I have BBC Digital on with a few bets on most of the matches apart from Norway v San Marino tonight. :)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'll watch it quite avidly, like I always do....but one eye on Oliver Norwood against the Germans and an ear out for Czechia

Stumpy Tim

England's problem against the minnows is that we don't have a player who can go past one or two men to create space for others, or someone with a mean dead-ball delivery. We need a Gazza or Beckham frankly.

Also, against Malta they were clearly rubbish at defending crosses - they even let Sturridge score a header. We should have played out and out wingers, and had a Deeney type in the box. Pretty no, effective yes. We had no Plan B

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I know it sounds sad but I like to see the goals come through from the other matches so I have BBC Digital on with a few bets on most of the matches apart from Norway v San Marino tonight. :)

The way Norway are playing at the moment i wouldn't be surprised if San Marino score a rare goal tonight. Something like 3/1(both teams to score).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
1-3 come on! I'm only watching coz I have a bet on..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The way Norway are playing at the moment i wouldn't be surprised if San Marino score a rare goal tonight. Something like 3/1(both teams to score).

If Andorra and Luxembourg can score (last night against Switzerland and Belarus) then no reason why S.M could get a penalty or a lucky deflection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here