Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Am I being conned here, or not?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Word on the interweb seems to be you could claim for it from your house insurance if you have liability cover, but he can't sue your son as he is a minor (I am not a lawyer and this not legal advice). He should be contacting his insurer for that amount of damage (assuming it is legit).

Personally I would tell him he needs to discuss it with his insurer.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2626563/7yr-old-crashed-bike-into-car-what-happens

https://forum.rac.co.uk/threads/173...I-have-to-pay-PLEASE-HELP?p=111396#post111396

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_matters/818692-Car-hit-by-child-on-his-bike

https://www.balgores.com/what-are-my-rights-if-a-cyclist-damages-my-car/

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Not sure if that makes you liable. Was he cycling on the road? Was the car parked legally?

I am not sure where the car was parked makes any difference on liability, OP has said his son caused the damage so in effect this makes the OP (as the father) liable.

Like others have said I would just be happy a person had left a message and was willing to fix the damage and would try and mitigate the costs. Looking at the model of car the price could be right especially if it is the dealership quoting.

If it was parked on private land it could have a bearing, but from the little detail given I would assume it was on a regular road.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It’s a Kia ! The cars probably not worth more than £800 ! A decent repairman could do that for around £250-300 .

Suspect he’s trying it on . Yes a main dealer will always charge a lot more . If it was a brand new Merc or Land Rover , I would have a bit more sympathy because the costs are a lot more because of the car but a Kia , come on .

Def don’t pay - get 3 independent quotes .

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It’s a Kia ! The cars probably not worth more than £800 ! A decent repairman could do that for around £250-300 .

Suspect he’s trying it on . Yes a main dealer will always charge a lot more . If it was a brand new Merc or Land Rover , I would have a bit more sympathy because the costs are a lot more because of the car but a Kia , come on .

Def don’t pay - get 3 independent quotes .

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/kia/soul/1-6-gdi-connect-5dr/2015/ref/arnax-u-52943

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 18.11.31.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 18.11.31.png
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 198

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Your son is under no obligation to pay for anything. I’d suggest to the car owner that he claims for everything on his insurance and that you offer to pay any excess on the insurance, plus say £100 for goodwill.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He is probably furloughed at the moment anyway so claiming time off work is a con.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Does he only have your phone number or did you give him your address? Just block his number, job done

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Your son is under no obligation to pay for anything. I’d suggest to the car owner that he claims for everything on his insurance and that you offer to pay any excess on the insurance, plus say £100 for goodwill.

If he gives the OP details to his insurer, they then have Subrogated rights to act as if they were the insured (i.e they are paying a claim so have legal teams that will recover the costs) so would come to the OP for all costs. Then if recovered the insured would not have a claim registered against their name.

Dec 29, 2011
Claiming for time off work is a joke, he could have gone in his free time. The guy is trying it on, I'd probably just ignore him if possible to teach him a lesson.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was in the UK, though I'm back in Dubai now. My son's 11. Does that make any difference?!

He’s not going to come half way round the world for the money, tell him to do one, kids have accidents.
You have been honest and he’s taken the piss.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is why it isnt worth having a decent motor [emoji16]

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This is why it isnt worth having a decent motor [emoji16]

Some old grumble and grunt on a mobility scooter drove straight off the pavement and smashed into my van a few years back. Another driver coming the other way had to slam on her brakes to avoid hitting him.
The old git nearly fell off the scooter as he hit me so hard, by the time I had parked up he drove off, I caught up with him and he denied driving into me, and gave a false name.
I did get his name and address but he wasn’t insured and I had to pay for the repair myself, I also got a warning from the police as he said I threatened him. FFS :annoyed:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I suspect it relates to Kia seven year warrenty in that for body work paint and perforation they insist that any work is undertaken at their approved centre, I peak from experience I had a Kia for a few months and the starter motor which was covered by the warrenty provided they collected the car and investigated what was the problem all this was chargeable

Thanks for all the thoughts (even Westdene Seagull!).

I'm going to send the photo to a couple of local repair shops and get some ballpark comparisons. Then I'll feel more comfortable going back to him.

My son-in-law runs this business http://denttechnics.com/ he speicalises in this sort of work and I'm sure he'll be a lot cheaper than what you've been quoted. I've just sent him your photo, I'll let you know what he would charge.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Some old grumble and grunt on a mobility scooter drove straight off the pavement and smashed into my van a few years back. Another driver coming the other way had to slam on her brakes to avoid hitting him.
The old git nearly fell off the scooter as he hit me so hard, by the time I had parked up he drove off, I caught up with him and he denied driving into me, and gave a false name.
I did get his name and address but he wasn’t insured and I had to pay for the repair myself, I also got a warning from the police as he said I threatened him. FFS :annoyed:
[emoji16] someone chiselled the lock off the van a few years ago and then a bus hit it, claimed on the insurance and it went up x3 the next year!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
See if he has protected no claims, if he has, pay the excess and let him claim on his insurance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Price sounds about right if it's being done at an insurer-approved coachwork/bodyshop. Would any of us actually do that on a car that age/condition ? Would we ****.
When you say 'bike' I assume you mean pushbike, and he's therefore uninsured - you don't HAVE to make any offer, the owner would technically have to sue your son to get him to pay up (he won't) so you should be able to come to a much better compromise
Tell him he's taking the **** and at best tell him you MIGHT cover reasonable costs (you'll have to judge what that is) and will need to agree beforehand (get some other quotes) and see all receipts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here