Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I wonder if there would be more of a spotlight on Alzate were he still eligible to play for England?

I for one am glad that he was not picked up by the England set up, they would coach the talent right out of the boy, and the pressure that would ensue would definitely be in my opinion counter productive, adding extra pressure on his young shoulders.

Anyway what would you rather be, a main star rising in a cool Columbian team, or an also ran in a drab consistently depressing England team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I for one am glad that he was not picked up by the England set up, they would coach the talent right out of the boy, and the pressure that would ensue would definitely be in my opinion counter productive, adding extra pressure on his young shoulders.

Anyway what would you rather be, a main star rising in a cool Columbian team, or an also ran in a drab consistently depressing England team.

Not sure. When Potter is England manager in a couple of years time, Alzate is exactly the type of player he will want involved.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Let's not forget that Alzate has only just now won what looks like a regular starting place in his favoured position. I imagine he's more interested in that than how much attention he's getting beyond Lancing and the Amex.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
. "Focus on another Colombian at Goodison

It’s already been quite the ride for Steven Alzate. Born in Camden to Colombian parents, the midfielder came through Leyton Orient – after a successful loan spell at Swindon, he made his Premier League debut for Brighton a year ago, at left wing-back versus Newcastle, and was named man of the match. He made his international debut for Colombia shortly afterwards, and was given the No 10 shirt in the following match, with James Rodríguez injured. This season, the 22-year-old has started every league game for Brighton in central midfield and will come face-to-face with Rodríguez this weekend in a trip to Everton, as two form teams meet at Goodison. Alzate has got quite the package: South American flair combined with a steel forged in League Two. He is young, composed, versatile and could go right to the top."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Great that he has his Columbia call up, but somehow we’ve got to get him back and in form for the Palace game. Time difference will be a killer

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
His value went up today despite not playing.

There was a real dynamism and quickness of thought missing in the middle today against Palace.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
His value went up today despite not playing.

There was a real dynamism and quickness of thought missing in the middle today against Palace.

100% agreed. I think you see the difference between having him buzzing around winning tackles and playing passes. Ben White did a good job but he was shoehorned into a team which didn't need him. If Alzate couldn't play, then Gross should have started. It was obvious Palace have nothing in midfield, so Gross' passing would have been crucial in getting Lallana and Trossard the ball in areas where they could do something with it.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
100% agreed. I think you see the difference between having him buzzing around winning tackles and playing passes. Ben White did a good job but he was shoehorned into a team which didn't need him. If Alzate couldn't play, then Gross should have started. It was obvious Palace have nothing in midfield, so Gross' passing would have been crucial in getting Lallana and Trossard the ball in areas where they could do something with it.
Although White was leading the 'our MOM' before we scored on whoscored.com :cool:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Although White was leading the 'our MOM' before we scored on whoscored.com :cool:

I'm a big fan of White and I thought he did a very functional job in there. Playing passes, wining tackles - easy stuff but effective. I wouldn't criticise him in the slightest but you get different things from different players. If we'd have had an attacking player in that position I think we'd have made it much harder to defend against us because we'd have had quicker passes through midfield. No criticism of White, but I think he wasn't required against a team with no attacking intent through midfield today.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm a big fan of White and I thought he did a very functional job in there. Playing passes, wining tackles - easy stuff but effective. I wouldn't criticise him in the slightest but you get different things from different players. If we'd have had an attacking wplayer in that position I think we'd have made it much harder to defend against us because we'd have had quicker passes through midfield. No criticism of White, but I think he wasn't required against a team with no attacking intent through midfield today.

2 Defensive midfielders against a side who sit deep and hit it long didn't seem to work today. Hopefully a return of Alzate and Bissouma for the West Brom game

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Big fan of Alzate but I don't think I can fault White. He had a good game. Composed, good passes / distribution, tackling, good awareness.

Honestly just felt we lacked with finishing. Maupay not such a good day.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
We did miss Alzate IMO because he is absolute class but you can’t fault White.

As I posted on the match thread, poorish first half getting to grips with the position and then best player on the pitch in the second half.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Scooby-1969-title.jpg

Started the season so well.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Same as last season. Starts great, goes to Colombia, barely plays when he gets back. Last year it eventually turned out it was because of injury, I fear but truly hope not it could be the case again. South American football is really rough.

I think Alzate is one of Potters favorites. I've heard his appreciation of similar type of players for a long time. I hope its a team balance thing with Dunk missing but I'm worried its some kind of injury.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Alzate OUT!

Er, on the pitch. Possibly. If the manager thiks it's the right selection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here