Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think i need to watch Alzate a bit closer because I havent been thinking player of the season contender. Encouraging performaces for a player making his first steps into the top division, but unlike Lamptey I've never thought that kid could go on to earn a big money move (back) to a top four club.

I don’t think he could go to a top 4 club either and I do think Lamptey can / will. But won’t judge Alzate or any of our youngsters on Lamptey as he’s different gravy good for me!

I also don’t think he’s a player of the season contender FWIW - I only see 2 possibles for that - Maupay or Dunky.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Aware he's been training but according to Potter "struggling". I really hope the groin injury doesn't turn out like Izqueirdo, Alzate for me has been the Young Player of the Season (Lamptey if he had played few more games!)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Yep - him. I like him and always have done but I don’t feel he fits the way we play now. Too slow. Just my opinion, can see why others would disagree tbf.

But has still created the most chances with limited appearances in a Potter side, agree his lack of pace isn’t ideal but still offers more than several of the others.

Rather have him than Stephens, Mooy or Propper.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think i need to watch Alzate a bit closer because I havent been thinking player of the season contender. Encouraging performaces for a player making his first steps into the top division, but unlike Lamptey I've never thought that kid could go on to earn a big money move (back) to a top four club.

Kids got great feet, technically gifted, I think he'll develop into a very gifted midfielder. Still very young mind,

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

While he was playing at the start of the season he was at times the best player on the pitch. I had him down as my likely play of the season, unfortunately he wasn't involved second half of the season.

He showed everything we lacked towards the end. Composure and calmness, ability to keep the ball and find a pass, kept things ticking over nicely, and he was good tracking back also. His development will only accelerate if he plays along side Lallana, and he is already really quality and completely competent at this level.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But has still created the most chances with limited appearances in a Potter side, agree his lack of pace isn’t ideal but still offers more than several of the others.

Rather have him than Stephens, Mooy or Propper.

Yes true. I’m happy to keep him as a squad player. Would depend what offers came in. I think Mooy will remind everyone how good he is again soon as think some have forgotten this because of his dip in form in recent months...

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Lallana - tick
Striker - just one, but a biggie.
LWB - second priority if there's spare cash (or maybe if we can get Sessignon on loan) o but if we have to stick with what we've got to pay fr the striker, that's what I'd do..

Personally I’d have that the other way round. LWB should be top of our priority list, ahead of a striker.

I do think we need both, but Maupay is fantastic as striker #1, and Connolly & Trossard can both play striker #2 well IMO. Obviously if Maupay was to get injured that’s where we are weak. A taller, but still mobile, striker would be the icing on the cake for our attacking options.

But as for LWB, It doesn’t look like Potter is keen on Bernardo and March is, IMO, a championship level player. A new starting LWB seems to most obvious need for us right now. Just IMAGINE another Lamptey on the left side!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Personally I’d have that the other way round. LWB should be top of our priority list, ahead of a striker.

I do think we need both, but Maupay is fantastic as striker #1, and Connolly & Trossard can both play striker #2 well IMO. Obviously if Maupay was to get injured that’s where we are weak. A taller, but still mobile, striker would be the icing on the cake for our attacking options.

But as for LWB, It doesn’t look like Potter is keen on Bernardo and March is, IMO, a championship level player. A new starting LWB seems to most obvious need for us right now. Just IMAGINE another Lamptey on the left side!

We’ll get a striker and LWB if the club / Potter are thinking along the same lines as us. I like Bernardo personally and he can play that role well, but another Lamptey on the left would be incredible. And wouldn’t have to break the bank if we can... we’ll... find another Lamptey deal!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We’ll get a striker and LWB if the club / Potter are thinking along the same lines as us. I like Bernardo personally and he can play that role well, but another Lamptey on the left would be incredible. And wouldn’t have to break the bank if we can... we’ll... find another Lamptey deal!

Aarons to Bayern is being quoted at £20 million, so a slightly lower figure (or thereabouts) might get Lewis. Bargain IMHO.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

I've mentioned a few times recently that March should pursue the LWB position, then yesterday he reminded me that he cannot cross a ball if his life depended on it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Aarons to Bayern is being quoted at £20 million, so a slightly lower figure (or thereabouts) might get Lewis. Bargain IMHO.

You seen much of him and rate him? Quick and attacking?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You seen much of him and rate him? Quick and attacking?

Saw more two seasons ago, he was very impressive. I've seen the odd game this year and although he (along with the entire defence) has struggled, he has outstanding physical attributes. Fairly tall, good pace, very attacking, got a trick in him. Put's in a good ball. Surprisingly tough.
And a player who would absolute love playing LWB in our team. Only 21/22 I think.

You look at a back line of Webster, Dunk, White with Lewis and Lamptey as full backs, plus Lallana, plus the reborn Bissouma, plus a fit Alzate, plus a slightly more experienced Mac and it's mouthwatering.

I dunno, the signing of Lallana, if it happens, just feels like a massive, massive thing, like we are literally 2 players away from a top half team.

(I still think both March and Bernardo have something to offer at LWB, mind)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Does he make your top 5 POTS...? Mine are:

1) Maupay
2) Dunk
3) Alzate
4) Ryan
5) Lamptey (would be higher if played more games)

What? No BIssouma? I have to have him in my top 5 replacing Alzate. Love watching Alzate and great potential but not enough game time for me to have him in my top 5

Hope we keep Alzate but presumably with the signing of Lallana his opportunities are likely to be limited and he might just want regular first team footie a la Lamptey.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've mentioned a few times recently that March should pursue the LWB position, then yesterday he reminded me that he cannot cross a ball if his life depended on it.

I have given up on him and hope GP does next season too. Harsh I know as he’s one of our own :shrug:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Lallana is going to be a great role model for him.
Agreed, possibly the most comparable player we have in the squad currently, in terms of playing style. Both very adept at receiving the ball on the half-turn, looking after it in tight spaces etc and just generally being silky to watch in possession. Really can’t wait to see a fully fit Alzate returning to the side next season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Agreed, possibly as comparable a player as we have currently, in terms of playing style. Both very adept at receiving the ball on the half-turn, looking after it in tight spaces etc and just generally being silky to watch in possession. Really can’t wait to see a fully fit Alzate returning to the side next season.

Exactly my thinking. The main difference at the moment is Lallana is a serious goal threat- but they are both very much in the European mould of CM. Alzate will learn so much in the final third.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What? No BIssouma? I have to have him in my top 5 replacing Alzate. Love watching Alzate and great potential but not enough game time for me to have him in my top 5

Hope we keep Alzate but presumably with the signing of Lallana his opportunities are likely to be limited and he might just want regular first team footie a la Lamptey.

Not gonna lie, I forgot him. Totally forgot him :facepalm:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Against Newcastle it was very obvious that you need a player like Alzate to break down that kind of opponent. He looked like the kind of penetrative midfielder otherwise missing from the team. While he didnt score, he got himself into a lot of great postions while he was still fit and I could see easily see him score five goals or so if he gets to be fit.

That said, I was worried from the beginning when he was called up for Colombia, meaning he will need to go to South America 5-10 times a year, clearly not optimal. I hope his injury issues will be over though but getting rid of a lot of players just because Alzate is around would be pretty risky.

As for position I think its fine that he gets to play in a lot of roles. Later on in his career its a good thing to get a bit more settled but as for now all minutes he gets are good, even if its in strange positions. I also think he was better than Montoya and Schelotto as right back so it made a lot of sense to play him there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here