Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just a reminder our very good post lockdown performances have come without this lad who has been mustard this season. Makes my top 5 players of the season easily.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
On the contrary, as neat and tidy as he is, I wouldn't say the team has been weaker for his absence. If we want the team to perform better, we need to expect more from the players in terms of taking responsibility for scoring more goals and keeping the ball better in games where we don't see as much of it.

Unlike many, I don't think it benefits players to be shunted all over the pitch, no matter how technically competent they are and tactically capable they are to adapt. It doesn't necessarily suit the team in terms of winning games, which is the name of the game.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
On the contrary, as neat and tidy as he is, I wouldn't say the team has been weaker for his absence. If we want the team to perform better, we need to expect more from the players in terms of taking responsibility for scoring more goals and keeping the ball better in games where we don't see as much of it.

Unlike many, I don't think it benefits players to be shunted all over the pitch, no matter how technically competent they are and tactically capable they are to adapt. It doesn't necessarily suit the team in terms of winning games, which is the name of the game.

Now Lamptey is here I don’t think Alzate will be making any further cameos at right back. I could well see Groß, Jahanbakhsh, Stephens and perhaps Pröpper departing leaving more opportunity for Alzate to play his preferred midfield role.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very promising but played most games out of position on wing or full back. Similar to Burn at full back and Mooy out wide.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

First paragraph - patience my friend! I think he’d have improved the squad a lot in those games. Give him some time to adapt - he’s been great on the ball this season.

Second paragraph - Agreed. And this is where Potter sometimes frustrates me - too much tinkering at times and it can go wrong - like Man Utd at home a prime example.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just a reminder our very good post lockdown performances have come without this lad who has been mustard this season. Makes my top 5 players of the season easily.

Agree. It amazes me when so many people making out lists if players we need to go out and buy, or positions we need to fill, seem to forget we've got this lad coming back next season. Even more seem to forget about Molumby coming back too, and he's looked every inch a player this season too.

What we don't need to do this summer is buy a few more players in the £5M - £10M range - we've got plenty of those already! With Lallana, one $40-45M striker and we're done, IMHO. I'm sure we can make do with Burn, Bernardo or March filling the LWB position for another season..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Now Lamptey is here I don’t think Alzate will be making any further cameos at right back. I could well see Groß, Jahanbakhsh, Stephens and perhaps Pröpper departing leaving more opportunity for Alzate to play his preferred midfield role.

Big call from me but I’d keep Stephens and ship out the other 3. I love Propper from a technical point - very near and tidy and gifted, but has an error a game in him and doesn’t offer enough going forward. Stephens the better passer. It pains me to say it as Propper has been a good player for us.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Think he's great and will have a good future

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Agreed. As you can see from my over excited opening post in this thread after his debut, I think hes a quality player! Really excited about seeing him again fully fit next season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agree. It amazes me when so many people making out lists if players we need to go out and buy, or positions we need to fill, seem to forget we've got this lad coming back next season. Even more seem to forget about Molumby coming back too, and he's looked every inch a player this season too.

What we don't need to do this summer is buy a few more players in the £5M - £10M range - we've got plenty of those already! With Lallana, one $40-45M striker and we're done, IMHO. I'm sure we can make do with Burn, Bernardo or March filling the LWB position for another season..

I’m gonna go with the following:

Several players like Ali J, maybe Gross, Montoya, March even OUT

Lallana / Left back who can play wing back / Striker x1 or x2 IN

That’s all I think we’ll need. Lots of talent coming back from loans like White and Molumby - Walton etc. Possibly an exciting Izquierdo to come in all guns blazing to give another option - I see the squad in really good shape. If anyone special comes up like a RB or central Mid I can see Potter shipping another out (like Montoya) to allow for this, but i see LB and Stiker as the 2 key positions to strengthen. Signing Lallana so early will be huuuuuuge!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed. As you can see from my over excited opening post in this thread, I think hes a quality player! Really excited about seeing him again fully fit next season.

Does he make your top 5 POTS...? Mine are:

1) Maupay
2) Dunk
3) Alzate
4) Ryan
5) Lamptey (would be higher if played more games)

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I hope Alzate gets fit and plays a big part next season. He's about as good a prospect as I can remember for us. I love watching him play.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I hope Alzate gets fit and plays a big part next season. He's about as good a prospect as I can remember for us. I love watching him play.

Players who have been as good on the ball as him this season in my opinion - eg not wasteful, neat and tidy, nothing silly etc:

Maupay

That’s it for me.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Big call from me but I’d keep Stephens and ship out the other 3. I love Propper from a technical point - very near and tidy and gifted, but has an error a game in him and doesn’t offer enough going forward. Stephens the better passer. It pains me to say it as Propper has been a good player for us.

Pascal Groß who has created more goal scoring/shots on goal than any other player we have and more than players like Mahrez this season ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m gonna go with the following:

Several players like Ali J, maybe Gross, Montoya, March even OUT

Lallana / Left back who can play wing back / Striker x1 or x2 IN

Lallana - tick
Striker - just one, but a biggie.
LWB - second priority if there's spare cash (or maybe if we can get Sessignon on loan) o but if we have to stick with what we've got to pay fr the striker, that's what I'd do..

As for outgoings, Ali J for sure, I think. The rest? No idea - it depends which ones are wanted by other clubs willing to buy them. There are probably 6 or 7 outfield players in the firing line; maybe 3 - or 4 max. - will go, but no idea which 3 or 4. Interesting times!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Exactly what I've been thinking

Stephens has gone ahead of Propper in selection. Propper has a significant resale value, Stephens doesn't.

I expect you've called this one right

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pascal Groß who has created more goal scoring/shots on goal than any other player we have and more than players like Mahrez this season ?

Yep - him. I like him and always have done but I don’t feel he fits the way we play now. Too slow. Just my opinion, can see why others would disagree tbf.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think i need to watch Alzate a bit closer because I havent been thinking player of the season contender. Encouraging performaces for a player making his first steps into the top division, but unlike Lamptey I've never thought that kid could go on to earn a big money move (back) to a top four club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here