Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That seems almost as many minutes as he's played for The Albion this season! What's the possibility he'll be wanting away to get game time soon?

Naylor reported this last week on Alzate
"head coach Graham Potter is also still a big fan of Steven Alzate, even though the London-born Colombia international midfielder wasn’t used much last season, partly because of injuries and illness.
Alzate is only 23. Potter believes there’s a lot more to come from him."
https://theathletic.com/3337058/2022/05/31/brighton-transfers-enciso-cucurella/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Naylor reported this last week on Alzate
"head coach Graham Potter is also still a big fan of Steven Alzate, even though the London-born Colombia international midfielder wasn’t used much last season, partly because of injuries and illness.
Alzate is only 23. Potter believes there’s a lot more to come from him."
https://theathletic.com/3337058/2022/05/31/brighton-transfers-enciso-cucurella/

We'd better get a good price for Bissouma over the summer - there won't be any room for him in our midfield at this rate!

Good news if it looks as if Alzate might be staying though.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Big fan of Alzate. Been impressed whenever i've seen him play. Definitely deserving of more minutes. Maybe more possible if/when Biss leaves.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
It'd definitely feel like a "what might have been" departure if Alzate were to move on anytime soon. Too much talent there for his Albion career to just fizzle out into nothing.

I wouldn't wanna second guess Potter's thoughts on exactly how and when he sees Alzate fulfilling that potential though. Some serious competition for those midfield spots at present.

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Definitely a lot of talent there, but for one reason or another hasn't really kicked on since coming into the first team picture in the same way other have. Too early to get rid of him, but could do with a loan and regular game time if he isn't going to get it at Brighton.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
feels like next season might be a bit of a make or break season for him. injuries/covid haven't helped, but at the end of the day the time to kick on is now, when there'll be a big gap left by bissouma and other youngesters like caicedo now coming to the fore. he'll either move with the team or get left behind. he's a player that suits potter, as he's very press resistant, and despite him not being able to do much else, what he does he does very well

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
It'd definitely feel like a "what might have been" departure if Alzate were to move on anytime soon. Too much talent there for his Albion career to just fizzle out into nothing.

I wouldn't wanna second guess Potter's thoughts on exactly how and when he sees Alzate fulfilling that potential though. Some serious competition for those midfield spots at present.

Definitely a lot of talent there, but for one reason or another hasn't really kicked on since coming into the first team picture in the same way other have. Too early to get rid of him, but could do with a loan and regular game time if he isn't going to get it at Brighton.

feels like next season might be a bit of a make or break season for him. injuries/covid haven't helped, but at the end of the day the time to kick on is now, when there'll be a big gap left by bissouma and other youngesters like caicedo now coming to the fore. he'll either move with the team or get left behind. he's a player that suits potter, as he's very press resistant, and despite him not being able to do much else, what he does he does very well
It will help him the coming season as there are 5 subs allowed - hopefully.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Absolute make or break season coming up.

He's not a youth player in more. He's had Caicedo pass him in the pecking order and all of our midfield finished the season very strongly. He has to find a way to get some minutes and take his chance

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Absolute make or break season coming up.

He's not a youth player in more. He's had Caicedo pass him in the pecking order and all of our midfield finished the season very strongly. He has to find a way to get some minutes and take his chance
I can see him playing a lot more next season, especially if/when Biss goes. I think Alzate, Caceido, Mwepu and Mac would be a very solid midfield.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ahem, Pascal Gross ... Adam Lallana

Both excellent old hands - and well worth keeping - but surely the young guns will (we hope) get better and better and slowly but surely take over. Even without Bissouma, Caicedo, Alzate, Moder, Mwepu and Mac Allister - with the prospect of Kozlowski waiting in the wings - is going to be one hell of a midfield to try and keep a place in.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Both excellent old hands - and well worth keeping - but surely the young guns will (we hope) get better and better and slowly but surely take over. Even without Bissouma, Caicedo, Alzate, Moder, Mwepu and Mac Allister - with the prospect of Kozlowski waiting in the wings - is going to be one hell of a midfield to try and keep a place in.

And that normally means a reassuringly strong bench.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Got a funny feeling that Alzate is going to be immense for us next season. Excellent player.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Got a funny feeling that Alzate is going to be immense for us next season. Excellent player.

Does GP rate him though? He barely got on the pitch last season, (I know he had covid and an injury, but he was available for selection more than he wasn't). Caicedo is a younger player but jumped over him in the pecking order.

Good chance we'll buy another midfielder, so Steven is no further ahead than he was before.

I'm not having a go, I like him as well. But this is a make or break season. If he doesn't properly break through and play more than he doesn't, he'll surely leave

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Does GP rate him though? He barely got on the pitch last season, (I know he had covid and an injury, but he was available for selection more than he wasn't). Caicedo is a younger player but jumped over him in the pecking order.

Good chance we'll buy another midfielder, so Steven is no further ahead than he was before.

I'm not having a go, I like him as well. But this is a make or break season. If he doesn't properly break through and play more than he doesn't, he'll surely leave
I think the 5 sub rule will help him get game time. You know how potter likes to play 10 different formations a game.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Alzate is a solid EPL midfielder. So far, from what I have seen, he keeps things tidy and neat. He has a good touch and nice passing. Is he as good as MacAlister or Caicedo or Moder or Mwepu? Close but possibly just short. BUT he could be and is an EXCELLENT member of the squad.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Alzate is a solid EPL midfielder. So far, from what I have seen, he keeps things tidy and neat. He has a good touch and nice passing. Is he as good as MacAlister or Caicedo or Moder or Mwepu? Close but possibly just short. BUT he could be and is an EXCELLENT member of the squad.

Whose second (or third) account is this? Why are you bothering?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am me and only have one account. Some seriously grumpy old members around here - hopefully the typical vocal minority.

To quote the old whoever it was song: “you ain’t seen nothing yet”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here