Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Always there is a woman involved"

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades had responded to a reporter's question about whether the hijacker was motivated by romance, by laughing and saying: "Always there is a woman involved."

Discuss.
He'd already hinted at that and was laughing before she asked the question. TBH, it's fairly typical Cypriot humour, I wouldn't read too much into it. Cypriots are laid back about pretty much everything, (well, except politics, football and driving, then they become total ****ing nutters) his response was fairly typical, and I doubt anybody here, male or female will bother too much about it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I doubt anybody here, male or female will bother too much about it.
I don't suppose many there had family on the plane. Those that did would have been watching the news praying for good news and I doubt they found it so funny.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It did make me chuckle but I felt that it was more than just a little poor form to be making jokes and chuckling when people were still in the plane being held hostage - They may have been released before this comment but none of the major media outlets were reporting that whilst reporting his comments.

In fact, because I am bored, I have gone back through the BBC text updates. They reported his comments at 11.35, it wasn't until 12.47 that they showed a tweet from saying the hijacker was arrested.

To be fair it seemed to be an incident filled with ridiculous comments:

'He's not a terrorist, He's an idiot. terrorists are crazy but they are not stupid. This guy is' was reported as being said by an official

I also found the BBC reporter annoying with these comments 'Journalists have found it difficult to speak to passengers that have left the plane, she adds, with conflicting reports about where they are being held. ' - I know they have a job to do but for goodness sake let these people deal with the shock and then talk to them if they want to. Don't try and chase their location around an airport

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I don't suppose many there had family on the plane. Those that did would have been watching the news praying for good news and I doubt they found it so funny.

To put it into context, there was an announcement made that all the passengers and crew were off the plane. This interview was about half an hour after that, then there was an announcement that 7 were still on board. So did he know they were still on board at the time of this interview or not? I don't know, and neither do you.

You're reading way too much into this. I;m guessing that a the time, he was feeling a huge amount of relief at finding out it wasn't a real terrorist and his light heartedness was a part of that.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Welcome to Cyprus! That's normal here. (Although the "not a terrorist, he's an idiot" comment came from the Egyptians).

It was possibly my favourite event of this type. Is it wrong to have a favourite?

It just felt very odd being able to chuckle during such a thing!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Egyptian Airport security has some serious questions to answer :)

Attachments

• 32A3436500000578-3513434-This_image_which_has_been_shared_widely_on_social_media_reported-m-32_1.jpg
    32A3436500000578-3513434-This_image_which_has_been_shared_widely_on_social_media_reported-m-32_1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 198

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To put it into context, there was an announcement made that all the passengers and crew were off the plane. This interview was about half an hour after that, then there was an announcement that 7 were still on board. So did he know they were still on board at the time of this interview or not? I don't know, and neither do you.

You're reading way too much into this. I;m guessing that a the time, he was feeling a huge amount of relief at finding out it wasn't a real terrorist and his light heartedness was a part of that.
If he thought that everyone was off the plane and the man had been arrested (no danger of blowing people up) then I wouldn't mind. I don't agree that that is the case though. He's the leader of the country where the aircraft was, so I don't see how he could think that everyone was safe when they weren't. He wasn't going off random journalist opinion, he'd have been getting information from the security services.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It wasn't after the event, otherwise I'd agree.

Then it is less appropriate I guess, perhaps he knew something that hadn't been made public, still worth a chuckle to me, I can sometimes be wholly inappropriate in front of my PC and laugh at things that I never should ....

However this takes me on to something that has become my bugbear, I quite like those in authority to actually say things, whether it be deemed appropriate or not otherwise no-one really has anything to say and how can we truly have a view on someone.

I say, say it and say it loud no matter what, at least I can then tell whether I might like their view, opinion or their likely judgement, I hate the guarded comments that say very little.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Always there is a woman involved."

That's true when it comes to producing people, hijackers or otherwise.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Then it is less appropriate I guess, perhaps he knew something that hadn't been made public, still worth a chuckle to me, I can sometimes be wholly inappropriate in front of my PC and laugh at things that I never should ....

However this takes me on to something that has become my bugbear, I quite like those in authority to actually say things, whether it be deemed appropriate or not otherwise no-one really has anything to say and how can we truly have a view on someone.

I say, say it and say it loud no matter what, at least I can then tell whether I might like their view, opinion or their likely judgement, I hate the guarded comments that say very little.

Doesn't always go well though. I applaud Farage for being himself. Unfortunately he is a bit of a tit

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
But isnt that the point, you can have a clear view on him, his personality and his political views.

Definitely, like I say I applaud the man. I don't like him but you have to respect him being himself. Unless of course it is all an act - but I would assume he would come up with a better act

I would love our politicians to actually say what they thought, we would probably hate it but we could at least see 'them'.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
To be fair, that is probably not one of the most stupid things a Cypriot president has said or done in many years.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What makes this even better is he has been identified as a Health and Safety auditor.

Does rather suggest that by this point they realised he was a deluded disturbed nutter rather than a terrorist.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Jeez just be satisfied everyone was safe and it wasnt terrorist related ,the president probably knew a lot more than people realized especially the press.
Talk about trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill or should I say trying to make a thread about nothing .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here