Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Allegation of trouble from Littlehampton Town fans

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
There’s been a discussion about it in the Non League thread, which has some fair viewpoints from both sides

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/littlehamptontown/news/club-statement-2721722.html just wondering if any Whitehawk fans on here can add some perspective to the Littlehampton account of things or even Littlehampton fans? What is disturbing to me is the tarnish of a brush once again about our City full of gays. Its not acceptable. I acknowledge the report speaks of allegations.

i find it pretty disturbing that you think being gay is a tarnish, you sound upset not about the homophobia, but that you have been "tarnished" by a group of idiots calling residents gay?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/littlehamptontown/news/club-statement-2721722.html just wondering if any Whitehawk fans on here can add some perspective to the Littlehampton account of things or even Littlehampton fans? What is disturbing to me is the tarnish of a brush once again about our City full of gays. Its not acceptable. I acknowledge the report speaks of allegations.

Not heard of any pubs being smashed up in Faversham. The only pub between the station and the stadium is The Elephant and it is as intacto as Anne Widdicombe. The pub opposite the station is also unblemished. There were 212 in attendance at the game. Fewer people than in a typical night club :shrug:

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Who's brush? Who's tarnish? Which city? If Littlehampton supporters made homophobic chants about Brighton, it is the reputation of the town of Littlehampton that is tarnished. I was not aware they have form for this ('once again'). Is it possible to tarnish a brush, though? Making a brush less valuable or respected? No, sorry, you have lost me there :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i find it pretty disturbing that you think being gay is a tarnish, you sound upset not about the homophobia, but that you have been "tarnished" by a group of idiots calling residents gay?

Yep. I gave him the benefit of doubt by saying I found his choice of words confusing. Perhaps an explanation will be forthcoming.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021

well im sorry of it came across like that no offense from me was intended

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
why are you laughing do you think its ok to make these homophobic remarks that the fans are alleged to have made?

I think he's laughing at your peculiar and baffling sentence construction. As noted above, it would help if you clarified whether you are annoyed by the homophobia or by the implication that there are gay people living in Brighton. I trust it is the former :thumbsup:

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
just wondering if any Whitehawk fans on here can add some perspective to the Littlehampton account of things or even Littlehampton fans?. Homophobia Its not acceptable. I acknowledge the report speaks of allegations.

There you have re-written as I said no offense intended.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
that is EXACTLY how it came across I am afraid, I would have thought on commentating on homophobic abuse you would have made an attempt not to actually be homophobic

I think it was a case of suboptimal and ambiguous wordsmithery rather than letting slip a prejudice. We all need to be careful with our choice of words, of course. :thumbsup:

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
As a regular visitor to The Sportsfield, I've said my piece on this in the Non-League thread. There's been a lot of boundary-pushing behaviour by LA fans over the past year or so, but much of it has been blown out of proportion and is confined to a very small group of fans. I think the statement released by the committee today was a fair reflection of what has happened over the past few days; they are having to cope with something completely foreign to a club which, until 18 months ago, was used to dealing with very sedate crowds of around 100.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think it was a case of suboptimal and ambiguous wordsmithery rather than letting slip a prejudice. We all need to be careful with our choice of words, of course. :thumbsup:

indeed, plain speaking has a lot to recommend it over suboptimal and ambiguous wordsmithery, less one comes across as meaning something unintended

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t think there’s much that’s ambiguous about the phrase ‘…city full of gays…’

The OP is on very thin ice.

Was he not paraphrasing the 'chanting' for sake of explaining the content? Apologies if I have misunderstood. I shall climb down now from my wonky step-ladder of uncertainty.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
8 posts in and the offended have caused offence by being offended so that more are now offended even though no offence was originally intended.

Please, someone switch the internet off for a day!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Was he not paraphrasing the 'chanting' for sake of explaining the content? Apologies if I have misunderstood. I shall climb down now from my wonky step-ladder of uncertainty.

Maybe, maybe not. The phrase he chose to use is not quoted in the article he cited. So he’s either made it up or was at the game and is reporting first hand. Given he makes no reference to being at the game, I’m going with he made up the specific phrase. Which is both revealing and, I’m afraid to say, unsurprising to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here