Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allardyce talks Hoofball (brighton reference)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'm amazed at some people's recollections of that West Ham game.

They only 'did' us if they were coming for a 0-0. If that was the case (unlikely, I'd have thought), then up to a point.

The goal was nothing tactical from them, Bridcutt made a mistake he won't do again for five years probably, and Harper could have set himself more centrally.

Our overall football was good that night, we passed them off the pitch, and I came away nowhere near as pissed off as say for Palace. We just badly lacked a cutting edge, a familiar failing earlier in the season, but one which is nothing to do with how West Ham played at all.

I thought given their 'Premier League' players they were really poor on the night. They only looked liked scoring again when we started chasing the game, as we had to.

All of this - & as people have said, we've come a long way since then & they've gone backwards (& were poor then). Would be a nice relaxing day out should we happen to get them in the play off final in my far from humble opinion :rock: :albion2:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Am I wrong in thinking that Bridcutt slipped allowing the ball through to Nolan or was that another game. If I'm right that's hardly "doing" us tactically, that's more like a big slice of luck.

That and Dunk underhit it and Harper had time to position himself better. They came to us looking for a draw with the chance they might get lucky and nick one ... and they did

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
i confidently predict that in 20 years time gus will have achieved more than "big sam" ever has

in fact i'll go for 10 years

I do think Gus will be seriously considered for jobs that Allardyce could only have dreamed about.

And I'm not one of these people who hates Allardyce especially, he's done a good job most places he's been. But not taking West Ham up this season would be by far his biggest failure, given the resources and cash he's had relative to the rest of the division. He's under pressure, and it's showing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
...nothing to see here...

Why did you choose to remove your post? I thought it was relevant. :shrug:

Yep.

The 1-0 result back was very fair. Annoying, but fair.

BHA have had more gleaming press attention in the last 12 months than WHU have had bad, and that's going some. Big Sam's long-ball reputation, 'slumming it' in the Championship, the whole Olympic Park nonsense - I'm sure he's utterly sick to the back teeth of hearing about brand spanking-new Brighton and their young thrusting manager, and the odd grumpy remark here and there is the least we can expect from him.

Very good point made in The Fiver The Fiver | Incredibly Tedious Mind Games Sub-plot | Scott Murray and Evan Fanning | Football | guardian.co.uk yesterday re. Viera's Man U comments being manipulated.

Pinch of salt I reckon.

And now he's supposedly got Patrick Vieira so flustered that the Manchester City suit has been drawn into an ill-advised war of words, apparently, it says here. Last week, Vieira cheekily suggested United's reintroduction of Paul Scholes smacked of "weakness". Bad move. Ferguson readjusted his front tail, at which point we were told Vieira's synapses started snapping, causing him to jabber about referees favouring United at Old Trafford in the wake of Fulham's ghost penalty on Monday night. It was a sure sign that City are cracking up under the pressure applied by the master mind manipulator. Heeee! Well done, Fergie!

Except Vieira wasn't exactly jabbering. In fact, it seems he was quietly responding under extreme duress to repeated questions from the floor about the Fulham incident, which he freely admitted he hadn't seen, and had pointedly said he didn't want to criticise United, although he did make the bland and surely incontestable observation that big, successful clubs "like United, Madrid, Barcelona or Milan" often get a wee bit of extra leeway from the man in the middle. "This is the way it is," ran his eminently reasonable argument. "It's something the teams who are used to winning get all the time. We need to win games so we have this advantage in the future."

With the self-awareness skirted over, and the bits about not wanting to criticise United completely removed, Vieira's response was presented to the world as an elongated whine. City, perhaps unsurprisingly fed up with folk writing up perfectly rational musings as a War Of Words brought on by Mind Games and then dancing around as though they'd just uncovered the next Watergate scandal, have banned the journalist responsible, hoping that Fergie won't respond and we will all be spared a month of needlessly escalating nonsense. But sadly, it was too late. "Every club gets breaks here and there, you get good ones and bad ones, it evens itself out over the season," Fergie said today, before getting the hobnails on and delivering one quick hoof to the City swingers. "Maybe smaller clubs feel that decisions go against them." It's not Mind Games, now, it's just common-or-garden abuse. But, like the construction of title-winning teams, it's something he's damn good at.

As for Allardyce, he's always struck me as a far more competent manager than Harry Redknapp. I really can't stand that bloke.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
.......reckon he's got the nod for the England Job, just clearing the way to walk away from 'ammers, team up with Stu for the dream pairing of minds

jonny forienger don't like it up 'em, smash, chase, hoof, lump, euro's in the bag !!!
:lol: you forgot to mention the all important 'passion' :ffsparr:

Rastamouse84

Mar 30, 2012
Wonder where all that has come from with Sam??

West Ham are feeling the pressure right through the club if you ask me. Wouldn't surprise me in the lease if they bottled the whole promotion thing this year.

As for Nolan - yes he is a bit of a tail but to be honest he's a cut above in quality on almost every midfielder in this division.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Bless big Sam didn't like the nasty Brighton fans shouting "hoof" every time they, er..... Hoofed it :lol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wonder where all that has come from with Sam??

West Ham are feeling the pressure right through the club if you ask me. Wouldn't surprise me in the lease if they bottled the whole promotion thing this year.

As for Nolan - yes he is a bit of a tail but to be honest he's a cut above in quality on almost every midfielder in this division.

He's been booed on more than one occasion by his own fans this season. He's surprisingly unpopular for a midfielder who's scored a few goals. They reckon he's lazy and overpaid. Funny how the media don't convey that impression when they're fawning over him.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Surely we really have to shout hoooof every time they hoof it upton park now!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I am damn sure in 20 years time, Gus wont be trying to hoof his team out of the Championship.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly this.

I still don't get what this has got to do with GUS.

Nothing at all. Poyet never said a word about it.

All it's done is pretty much guaranteed that 3,000 Albion fans will spend 90 minutes screaming "Hooooooooooooooooof" at the top of their voices every time West Ham knock the ball more than ten yards.

Well done, Sam, well done :lolol:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Considering Gus Poyets start in management I would imagine in 20 years he would achieved considerably more than Sam.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He's not wrong though, they did tactically beat us.

Plus his team is higher paid and cost a fuckload more to put together.

But he is right.

Correct.

BUT, it would still be nice to pin that quote up in the dresssing room before the play offs (BTW we're going to finish 6th, they'll be third, so he'll have two more chances to 'do us' as he puts it)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Are you a lawyer by any chance as you seem to be very obsessed with making the case for the defence ?

Bom tish!

I just don't think anyone's giving them enough credit by half. We weren't THAT bad. They just gave us NO options in the final third.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here