Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All time Albion eleven argument

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
If your picking the best ever Albion team, at least the players you have watched live, is it on ability or at the level the players played at?

A heated debate ensued at the break at the cricket on Friday, whilst i have happy memories of both Peter Ward and Bobby Zamora, I still maintain that as a front two Andy Ritchie and Michael Robinson should get the nod, as they both not only played in, up to now, the best ever Albion side but they both cut it at the top level of our domestic league system.

Perhaps there's an argument to say that Zamora also has but as much as he's a Albion hero effectively Wardie fell short in Div One over a sustained period.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think its contribution to the Albion team that they played in, regardless of level, together with longevity and commitment to the Albion.

Otherwise you might as well select just from our top division sides of 79-83.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely if you are picking an Albion All Time Best XI it would be based on their performanes for us and not their eventual roles or standard achieved. If not Gareth Barry would be in it and he never played for our first team and the goalkeeper would be either Peter Grummitt or Joe Corrigan as they played for England but I wouldnt consider them the best of the albion.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
If your picking the best ever Albion team, at least the players you have watched live, is it on ability or at the level the players played at?

A heated debate ensued at the break at the cricket on Friday, whilst i have happy memories of both Peter Ward and Bobby Zamora, I still maintain that as a front two Andy Ritchie and Michael Robinson should get the nod, as they both not only played in, up to now, the best ever Albion side but they both cut it at the top level of our domestic league system.

Perhaps there's an argument to say that Zamora also has but as much as he's a Albion hero effectively Wardie fell short in Div One over a sustained period.

I'd read "A Few Good Men" if I were you - all about exactly that, how do you pick your all-time XI and how. Got it for Xmas, jolly good read.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally, I always pick it based on my favourite (and best performers) from the years in which I've supported.

I've never really considered how my team would play together!

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
I understand the reasoning for putting players who worked well together/played together in a dream side. Hense why i go with Steele with Zamora.

Lee Steele was not the greatest player in the world, nye even the conferance but the way he played with Zamora (movement, creating space, workrate), and the way the two played together mean that this partnership gets in my team.

Having not witnessed our strikers in the years before moving to the "Theatre of Trees" would be unfair of me to instinctively choose Ward, Mellor etc...

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

thing is, Bobby only ever scored tap-ins and headers....

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Tommy Cook played for England whilst at Brighton, surely he was our best ever forward? (he died 23 years before I was born).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But Mike Bailey would end up as the manager!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely if you are picking an Albion All Time Best XI it would be based on their performanes for us and not their eventual roles or standard achieved. If not Gareth Barry would be in it and he never played for our first team and the goalkeeper would be either Peter Grummitt or Joe Corrigan as they played for England but I wouldnt consider them the best of the albion.

Exactly when did Grummitt play for England then?

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Exactly when did Grummitt play for England then?

I'm with you I don't think he ever played for England, but I do think he was the best ever Albion keeper. However since the backpass law changed and the balls changed the keepers job is very different. Old football Grummitt best keeper, new football Beasant, who did play for England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here