Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] All Sussex XI

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think we must be pretty unique in the Premier League in having three local(ish) regular first teamers in Dunk (Brighton), March (Hailsham) and Webster (Chichester).

Which got me thinking - under Dean Wilkins, didn't we once field an all Sussex XI. Or am I dreaming? (perhaps it was all Acadamy graduates). Does anyone know which game it was?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I seem to remember us starting an all academy graduate or all Sussex born team under Wilkins, but searching for what game it was is proving fruitless.

Closest I can find is 8 academy players starting a game under both Wilkins and during Micky Adams second spell in charge.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes we did under Dean Wilkins!
I'm sure this is true, but just trying to find out what game it was. I think it happened just once? @Hiney would know I guess. Or Tim Carder.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Doing some more digging. Wilkins was in charge for most of the 06-07 season and all of the 07-08 season.

It can't have been a league game for the 07-08 season as Michel Kuipers started all 46 league games. He also started all 8 cup games that season so that rules that season out totally.

For the 06-07 season we used 3 keepers, Kuipers, Wayne Henderson and Scott Flinders, none of whom were born in Sussex and none came through our academy.

John Sullivan was Sussex born and an academy graduate but didn't make his debut until 2008 under Mickey Adams and none of the games he featured in that season meet the criteria.

The closest i can find is 8 starting players coming from the academy. Including the 8-0 cup win over Northwich Victoria. The starting 11 that day was Kuipers, Lynch, Hinshelwood, El-Adb, Butters, Mayo, Cox, Hammond, Fraser, Revell, Robinson.

It appears to have happened a few times under Wilkins and, as I said earlier, it also happened under Adams too. The first leg of the Football League Trophy Area Final against Luton. The starting 11 that day was Sullivan, Virgo, Whing, Hinshelwood, El-Adb, Elphick, Cox, Fraser, McLeod, Forster, Robinson.

If anyone can find anything more than that I will doff my cap.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Doing some more digging. Wilkins was in charge for most of the 06-07 season and all of the 07-08 season.

It can't have been a league game for the 07-08 season as Michel Kuipers started all 46 league games. He also started all 8 cup games that season so that rules that season out totally.

For the 06-07 season we used 3 keepers, Kuipers, Wayne Henderson and Scott Flinders, none of whom were born in Sussex and none came through our academy.

John Sullivan was Sussex born and an academy graduate but didn't make his debut until 2008 under Mickey Adams and none of the games he featured in that season meet the criteria.

The closest i can find is 8 starting players coming from the academy. Including the 8-0 cup win over Northwich Victoria. The starting 11 that day was Kuipers, Lynch, Hinshelwood, El-Adb, Butters, Mayo, Cox, Hammond, Fraser, Revell, Robinson.

It appears to have happened a few times under Wilkins and, as I said earlier, it also happened under Adams too. The first leg of the Football League Trophy Area Final against Luton. The starting 11 that day was Sullivan, Virgo, Whing, Hinshelwood, El-Adb, Elphick, Cox, Fraser, McLeod, Forster, Robinson.

If anyone can find anything more than that I will doff my cap.
Thanks! So I guess the all-Sussex XI is a myth then...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think we must be pretty unique in the Premier League in having three local(ish) regular first teamers in Dunk (Brighton), March (Hailsham) and Webster (Chichester).

Which got me thinking - under Dean Wilkins, didn't we once field an all Sussex XI. Or am I dreaming? (perhaps it was all Acadamy graduates). Does anyone know which game it was?

I thought we once started a Sussex 11 with one foreigner, from Hampshire.

*edit*
Thinking back, that may have been the U23/U21 FA Cup game at Withdean where a couple of thousand turned up. Find that in your records :wink:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I thought we once started a Sussex 11 with one foreigner, from Hampshire.

*edit*
Thinking back, that may have been the U23/U21 FA Cup game at Withdean where a couple of thousand turned up. Find that in your records :wink:
That would be the Chelsea game when everyone turned up cause Jose was meant to be in town and the 1 turnstile could get everyone into the ground quick enough.

The game took place Jan 16 2006.

Our team that day was John Sullivan, Paul Hinshelwood, Sonny Cobbs, Scott Chamberlin, Tommy Elphick, Tommy Fraser, Wes Fogden, Dan Taylor, Joe Gatting, Dan Leach and Ashley Jarvis. Lloyd Skinner came on from the bench.

Goals from Gatting and Leach won it 2-1 for us. Scott Sinclair scoring for Chelsea who also had Jack Cork, Ryan Bertrand and a certain Liam Bridcutt playing for them and were managed by Brendan Rodgers.

Sullivan, Cobbs, Chamberlin, Elphick, Fraser, Fogden, Gatting, Leach are all Sussex born. Hinshelwood appears to have been born in Chatham and I can't find any place of birth information on Dan Taylor or Ashley Jarvis.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
C B Fry
Snow
Salisbury
Parks
Greig
Alan Wells
Dexter
Prior - for his batting
Murray Goodwin
Imran Khan

One more bowler …. I’ll let the cricket nuts here complete this.
Mushy for Salisbury
Le Roux
Miandad
Wessels
Robinson

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That would be the Chelsea game when everyone turned up cause Jose was meant to be in town and the 1 turnstile could get everyone into the ground quick enough.

The game took place Jan 16 2006.

Our team that day was John Sullivan, Paul Hinshelwood, Sonny Cobbs, Scott Chamberlin, Tommy Elphick, Tommy Fraser, Wes Fogden, Dan Taylor, Joe Gatting, Dan Leach and Ashley Jarvis. Lloyd Skinner came on from the bench.

Goals from Gatting and Leach won it 2-1 for us. Scott Sinclair scoring for Chelsea who also had Jack Cork, Ryan Bertrand and a certain Liam Bridcutt playing for them and were managed by Brendan Rodgers.

Sullivan, Cobbs, Chamberlin, Elphick, Fraser, Fogden, Gatting, Leach are all Sussex born. Hinshelwood appears to have been born in Chatham and I can't find any place of birth information on Dan Taylor or Ashley Jarvis.
I am most impressed :thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I thought it was an FA Cup game it happened
The problem is it falls over on the goalkeeper for me, for it to be an all Sussex born XI it needs to be John Sullivan as I cannot think of another goalkeeper making a first team appearance that was born in Sussex around that time.

I am also struggling to think of another keeper from the youth system that played in that time. Richard Martin never made a first team appearance for us and Chris May only ever played once when he came on for Michel Kuipers (against Forest, was that the game where Mich tried to carry on after ripping the shoulder muscle clean off the bone?)

Christian Walton is too late and Mark Ormerod is too early from other academy goal keepers. Will Packham played a handful of games but none of the games he appears in meet the criteria. Same applies to Mitch Walker for his only first team appearance.

I'm starting to think its an urban legend that we all want to believe is true.

I am most impressed :thumbsup:
To be fair I got the team list from a Chelsea page - http://thechels.info/wiki/Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_2-1_Chelsea_(2005-06_FA_Youth_Cup)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ashley Jarvis was born in Southampton. I'm not sure where Dan Taylor was born but he joined Albion at U-11 level so there is a good chance he was born in Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here