Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] All quiet on the Western Front

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
In truth it is that well done you don't really need the subtitles to understand what's being said,the acting is superb,not that into war films but I think this one is right up there with Cross of Iron for me, excellent watch.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I watched it. All subtitled, no dubbing. It’s your Netflix settings.

Anyway, thought it was superb.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Superb film. It’s dubbed but you wouldn’t really know it and obviously subtitles available. Horrific what they went through.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
It's a fantastic film and it helps I speak German to really understand what the characters say and feel. I sometimes feel subtitles let these sorts of films down.

I will say, I felt very uncomfortable throughout large parts of it, exactly what it was intended to do. It's the sort of film people should be made to watch if they think war is glorious.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I liked it. The "one shot" schtick worked really well IMO, very immersive, especially at the cinema (yes I know they cheated a couple of times).
I thought it was ok, the schtick distracted, the plot and acting was a bit like one of the poorer war films you've never heard of you might stumble across on ITV4 on Sunday afternoon and while bits looked stunning other bits looked like bad N64 games( the bit of running at the end looked appalling at the Dukes when I saw it)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Watched it on Netflix the day it came out.
Very good film, very harrowing in parts and bought home the futility of it all.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
A very powerful film, particularly at the end. My great uncle Fred was killed, in France, on 10/11/18 aged 18 years and 5 months, just one day away from armistice.
12B7FC51-7911-4430-AF17-81EED965A57C.jpeg

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I watched it last week, mine was dubbed into English, I think I would have preferred to watch in German with subtitles to make it more authentic.
All world leaders (I'm looking at you Putin) should be made to watch it and digest shows how stupid it all is.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Has anyone seen either of the previous filmings and how does it compare ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just finished watching it (the dubbed version - I don't have Netflix, so didn't get the choice). A stunning film of unrelenting grim, the hell and horrors of the battlefields. It truly hammers home the utter futility of war, and at the end, the tragic pointlessness of it all. Seeing it from the German troops perspective gives a new dimension and perspective to WW1. One of those films that just leaves you a little bit...stunned, at the end.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Remake of the classic anti war film now on Netflix. Viewed as per the book from the WW1 German perspective and possibly the best made for Netflix film I have seen.

Anyone else seen it?
yes , brutal .......another one recently watch Atonement and The Reader......both very good

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Came straight out as English dialogue on Netflix.

There may be a different version showing in the Cinemas . Chichester has it on from today.
It came straight out in German for me when I saw it. Terrific film. Probably not so good watching the dubbed version though I would imagine. 10/10

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Just finished watching it (the dubbed version - I don't have Netflix, so didn't get the choice). A stunning film of unrelenting grim, the hell and horrors of the battlefields. It truly hammers home the utter futility of war, and at the end, the tragic pointlessness of it all. Seeing it from the German troops perspective gives a new dimension and perspective to WW1. One of those films that just leaves you a little bit...stunned, at the end.
The close quarters fighting scenes were brilliantly done, you really get drawn in. Utterly brutal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here