Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] All kicking off in Moulsecoomb

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
I have lived in Widdicombe Way, Higher Bevendean for nearly forty years. It used to be a nice family road. Now every other house is full of students and dodgy characters. Not long ago one night we had armed police outside with a helicopter hovering above. The house opposite was growing cannabis and a rival gang had tried to kick the front door in.
We moved to WW (#98) in 1970, out in 1989. It was a great place to grow up. A few cars parked and only on one side of the street. Nice friendly neighbours. Lots of good memories until students moved in next door around 1987. They were unreasonable and caused hell for my parents with noise at all hours. I warned them a few times, but in the end, after repeated unanswered requests for help from the Rozzers, they somehow lost all of their front windows one night. They piped down after that until my parents moved out.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think you’ve shook a hornets nest here, I grew up In Moulsecoombe (don’t argue with the spelling though, rightly or wrongly that’s how I’ve spelt it for over 50 years) Birdham Rd, no getting out of where that is however my wife is from Medmerry Hill, she calls it Higher Bevendean, a mate has referred to Balcombe Rd as Coldean and a bloke at work said he lived in Bevendean and when someone asked which part, he replied Staplefied Drive. 🤣
Many years ago these was a murder in Haywards Heath. TVS reporter asked the Lindfield PC Chairman to comment. His only reply was from where they are filming it's Lindfield but across the road where the incident happened was very much Haywards Heath. Snobby prick.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Think it was Hornby Road. But may be confusing Tony with Rodney Ralph. More well known was his
Think it was Hornby Road. But may be confusing Tony with Rodney Ralph. More well known was his brother Chunky.
Definitely ND. If you’re talking about Rodney Ralfe, I was in the same year at Stringer with his son, Duncan who, like his old man, was a very decent sportsman. Hairy bugger mind!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Not. Because it doesn't exist. *

(* just to be clear, my insistence that it doesn't exist is almost entirely tongue in cheek)
Ok, don't tell my wife. she lived her formative years in Selba Drive. I could have an affair, commit murder and she'd forgive me....call her a scoomber just once and I nearly lost body parts! :eek:

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I lived in Staplefield Drive for a short while, and would have always and still do refer to it as in Moulscoombe
My wife was brought upi n Staplefield Drive, and would be delighted if it was considered part of Bevendean and not Moulsecoomb.
I lived in Ashurst Road when I was a child, can I now claim that it's in Falmer?😁

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I also thought Higher Bevendean started at the top of Hillside and included the streets of Bevendean Crescent, Widdlecombe Way, Nyetimber Hill and Medmerry Hill and thats it. Lower Bevendean or just Bevendean as many know it as was over the next hill.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
blimey, how come so many people have lived in Staplefield Drive, or know someone who has.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
blimey, how come so many people have lived in Staplefield Drive, or know someone who has.
Apples falling from trees an' all that. Plus, families with ten siblings, twenty uncles and aunts forty cousins,...the invention of the telly done wonders for birth control!

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Apples falling from trees an' all that. Plus, families with ten siblings, twenty uncles and aunts forty cousins,...the invention of the telly done wonders for birth control!
Oi, go back to your village, I know people in Staplefield Drive, they are very respectable & have 2 children! :smile:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I also thought Higher Bevendean started at the top of Hillside and included the streets of Bevendean Crescent, Widdlecombe Way, Nyetimber Hill and Medmerry Hill and thats it. Lower Bevendean or just Bevendean as many know it as was over the next hill.

As a Bevendean Crescent resident I believe you are correct. The differentiation of Higher Bevendean to Mouslecoomb was a marketing ploy back in the 1930s when the houses on roads you stated above were built. These houses were sold straight to the public, and marketed as Higher Bevendean where as houses further into towards Moulsecoomb [along Birdham Road, Hodgshrove road etc] were built as council houses.

Source - My old neighbor who was born in Moulsecoomb and moved to Bevendean Crescent in 1950s.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I came here thinking that a serious incident had occurred and preparing for the worst. But in pure NSC beauty, after the morbid concerns of the opening bars, the conversation had indeed turned to the serious matter of what constitutes Bevendean.

And, I can't spell Moulscoombe either, despite my 50 years of residency in this town.

Did I say 'town' ? 30 more pages.

NSC, I love you.

My biggest conundrum, of course, was what the difference between the 49 and the 49a was, and why they stopped running to Southwick via Underdown Road.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yeah, now they are. It was very different everywhere, when people were in black and white
My Nan and Grandad only had 7 children but judging where everyone is saying where Higher Bevendean is, they were just on the outskirts. Not proper Scoomb but 100 meters away from WW. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here