Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] All about opinions sometimes……..

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Funnily enough I'm reading them now with my daughter, having just blasted through the entire Secret Seven. I actually don't mind them, especially compared to the rest of Blytons utter doggerel. At least there's a mystery of sorts.

Buy your main point of - why would anyone wring their wet knickers out on  this forum - is absolutely correct of course.
Yeah fair enough, we all appreciate different stuff. If the kids like em, that's what matters.

I've not got a problem with them adapting the language to be more in step with languages evolution.

Apparently this makes me a woke snowflake while those that are outraged and upset by the idea are not.

It's a funny thing in its adaptability and use in context, language.

Anyway, back to not reading Enid Blyton . . . Perhaps when the grandkids come along . . . The question is would I even notice the difference . . . I doubt it.

Now try changing Irvine Welsh, Ian Banks or some cure lyrics and I will be all up in your face . . . Or maybe not I don't know. I am not sure I have the energy to be outraged and angry about all the stuff the media tell me I should get worked up about.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I can only laugh at the intolerance shown on here at times. Talk of outrage, pitchforks, end of the world, knicker wetting. I was just pointing out how sensitive some souls seem to have become these days. Seems the knitting club are out in force right now, must be Ovaltine time for you all soon.
accuse your opponent of doing what you're doing, straight out of goebbels' playbook

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Even more so than the Roald Dahl updates I struggling to see why this is an issue for a football forum populated my middle aged men. Hand on heart when was the last time any of us read a famous five book?
I've never read any Blyton, but I used to ove Dahl books, and just last month I watched the new Matilda musical movie - do I need to watch that again to get all the changes?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've never read any Blyton, but I used to ove Dahl books, and just last month I watched the new Matilda musical movie - do I need to watch that again to get all the changes?
Adapted by Tim Minchin wasn't it? I have heard it is very good but haven't seen it.

The necessary adapions between it and the book don't seem to have bought the world to its knees. Which is good.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Adapted by Tim Minchin wasn't it? I have heard it is very good but haven't seen it.

The necessary adapions between it and the book don't seem to have bought the world to its knees. Which is good.
Yes. Well, the stage show was adapted by Minchin. He has stressed he had little to do with the film itself beyond it being based on his stage show. I saw the show on the same day as watching Hadestown, which was just amazing, and Matilda paled in comparison, but I've seen the film at the cinema and at home and enjoyed it.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Oh good, my watch has stopped and I needed to set it accurately and there's no more reliable metric than a wellquickwoody thread on NSC tanking.

'God help the human race.' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::facepalm:

I actually clicked on the link. There's a whole paragraph of text and 2 and half minutes of some fella who certainly doesn't sound well quick, complaining that the words idiot and shut up have been taken out of new editions. He then describes Enid Blyton as:

'One of the greatest authors of all time.'

FFS

(One thing did make me laugh as he said the phrase 'don't be an ass' had been removed from the AUDIO book. I think we can all imagine the reasoning behind that one.)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
accuse your opponent of doing what you're doing, straight out of goebbels' playbook
Oh look, the tiresome reference to fascism and Nazis when you disagree with something. Yawn…….

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Mental isn’t it. Nanny state abd it’s bloody dangerous imo. You cannot erase history or edit it. People need to get a grip and see history and society for what it once was, not, bury their hands in the sand. Really annoys me. Lack of realism!!
“See history for what it once was“ is perhaps the greatest thing that’s ever been written on NSC

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The homophobic chanting thread has shown how what some see as humour, others can find offensive, ‘We can see you holding hands’ in this instance.

Now from the forward thinking woke capital of the world (not) come the news that the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton are to be updated to avoid causing offence. Phrases such as ‘shut up’ and ‘you idiot’ are to be removed to reflect more modern thinking. Here is a link to follow https://www.2gb.com/woke-warriors-strike-again-enid-blyton-books-to-be-changed/

I really cannot get my head around this one. God help the human race.
I think it shows that the chants are unequivocally homophobic and that some people find homophobia funny and some do not find homophobia funny.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
“See history for what it once was“ is perhaps the greatest thing that’s ever been written on NSC
The whole post is an absolute work of art. Never have I read so many sentences so many times and wondered what the writer might be trying to communicate.

Its like f***ing Keats or something . . . Or perhaps Hunter S Thompson.

Mental isn’t it.
Nanny state abd it’s bloody dangerous.
You cannot erase history or edit it.
People need to get a grip
and see history and society for what it once was,
not,
bury their hands in the sand.
Really annoys me.
Lack of realism!!

Fade to darkness . Bloody brilliant.

Either way I am getting it tattooed on my back in Latin.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
The homophobic chanting thread has shown how what some see as humour, others can find offensive, ‘We can see you holding hands’ in this instance.

Now from the forward thinking woke capital of the world (not) come the news that the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton are to be updated to avoid causing offence. Phrases such as ‘shut up’ and ‘you idiot’ are to be removed to reflect more modern thinking. Here is a link to follow https://www.2gb.com/woke-warriors-strike-again-enid-blyton-books-to-be-changed/

I really cannot get my head around this one. God help the human race.

This seems to be a very confused fishing thread where the OP has hooked their own tighty whities and given themselves a massive wedgey.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Mental isn’t it. Nanny state abd it’s bloody dangerous imo. You cannot erase history or edit it. People need to get a grip and see history and society for what it once was, not, bury their hands in the sand. Really annoys me. Lack of realism!!
Yes ladies and gents the rewording of a child’s book is erasure of history.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
U1PjLFCA3pi6hXcGFtimgh_JggE=.gif

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This thread has shown how what some see as humour, others can find offensive, In this case, this entire subject.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I think it shows that the chants are unequivocally homophobic and that some people find homophobia funny and some do not find homophobia funny.
And he's once again only quoting the 'holding hands' chant (to suit his agenda) when it's been made clear numerous times that there was a lot more going on on Saturday ... including what happened to @jackalbion

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Seems like silly, unnecessary changes. But can't see the political sensitivity in it due to the nature of these books - nothing lost really...

We had to read some Famous Five books when studying English as kids. I was used to watching Transformers, Turtles, Batman, Tintin and all sorts of cool stuff on the television and thought "these are some dull kids". Remember thinking the books were incredibly shallow with absolutely no thought-provoking content. Incredible that these books are still popular today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here