Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] All 40 Elite football referees are white

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Change takes time. You can’t change the top tier demographic overnight.

That said, they need to encourage the opportunity for entry level refs. After that, they can filter upwards. That’s the most important factor for me.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think he's saying football is only for white people by the look of it :ffsparr:

That’s because you’re a cock and incapable of anything but the simplest deductions. And even then you’re wrong.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not sure what you are saying here.

Is it that BAME people don't want to referee or that they somehow cannot?

Why do you think they don't want to?

Hi GB, flippant as it was, I think there’s an element of catching up over time. Indigenously we are/were white indigenous majority country. There’s never been a relationship between ex players going into Ref jobs so claims like 25% players today are BAME so 25% refs should also be just doesn’t equate in my view. But also, stats are so skewed by cultural and ethnic bias on all manner of fronts eg I can’t remember last time I saw a white GP at my local practice, not that I give a shit about that, but they are all British Indian/Pakistani origin. Same primary schools, nearly all teachers are women. In Food Tech it’s heavily gender bias towards women too. In food distribution it’s men. Point is, this constant fixation to have the perfect % of race, religion, gender etc in everything (and I mean everything) according to general population is not only foolish to believe it’s ever possible, is it even necessary?

And of course, one cannot discuss such a subject matter without hysteria and Life of Brian Jehovah he said Jehovah stone throwing quickly ensuing. Especially if the commentator is white, therefore previlaged, gammon, sexist, racist blah blah blah. It’s all getting a bit boring this percentage game. Hence why I pointed out flippantly that no one’s worried about more women playing netball than men, or highly skilled chefs in Indian food being overwhelmingly…Indian by ethnicity. Who’d have thought?!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That’s because you’re a cock and incapable of anything but the simplest deductions. And even then you’re wrong.

Not really.

You’re comparing the sex or heritage of a person to make a point. So you are admitting that BAME are either incapable or not interested in doing the job.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Hi GB, flippant as it was, I think there’s an element of catching up over time. Indigenously we are/were white indigenous majority country. There’s never been a relationship between ex players going into Ref jobs so claims like 25% players today are BAME so 25% refs should also be just doesn’t equate in my view. But also, stats are so skewed by cultural and ethnic bias on all manner of fronts eg I can’t remember last time I saw a white GP at my local practice, not that I give a shit about that, but they are all British Indian/Pakistani origin. Same primary schools, nearly all teachers are women. In Food Tech it’s heavily gender bias towards women too. In food distribution it’s men. Point is, this constant fixation to have the perfect % of race, religion, gender etc in everything (and I mean everything) according to general population is not only foolish to believe it’s ever possible, is it even necessary?

And of course, one cannot discuss such a subject matter without hysteria and Life of Brian Jehovah he said Jehovah stone throwing quickly ensuing. Especially if the commentator is white, therefore previlaged, gammon, sexist, racist blah blah blah. It’s all getting a bit boring this percentage game. Hence why I pointed out flippantly that no one’s worried about more women playing netball than men, or highly skilled chefs in Indian food being overwhelmingly…Indian by ethnicity. Who’d have thought?!

[emoji1319][emoji1319]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Britain has always been a melting pot of ethnicity. Admiral Nelson had 22 different nationalities at the Battle of Trafalgar including BAME.
Have you seen Cheddar man?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not really.

You’re comparing the sex or heritage of a person to make a point. So you are admitting that BAME are either incapable or not interested in doing the job.

That interpretation is yours. Not even crossed my mind. But hey, keep up the crusade. Sorry no one’s turned up to fight you.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Britain has always been a melting pot of ethnicity. Admiral Nelson had 22 different nationalities at the Battle of Trafalgar including BAME.
Have you seen Cheddar man?

Hi TB, not seen Cheddar man. Heard he’s not very mature…But yes, agree the British armed forces have, because of the empire. The population of Britain way less so until relatively recently. Also, 22 nationalities doesn’t mean 22%. Stats can be so misrepresentative as always.

PS Not directed at you TB but to any simpletons (like you know who) that may then retort along the lines of “no, Britain has always had immigration…” Yes, thank you for pointing out that bleedin obvious point I and everyone else knows. Just not in numbers until relatively recent times. That’s the point.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Phil Prosser thankfully retired, so won't be making a dent in that number, as if he bloody could.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Why anyone becomes a referee is beyond me. My son was a ref for 3 seasons (I can’t believe he did it that long). and the abuse he got from parents (and it was Horsham district under 13/14 and below leagues so we are talking about a well educated, middle class environment) was socially unacceptable. Many of you will go to watch your kids / grand kids football this weekend and not realise what your actually doing and abuse you are giving towards a child. And don’t come the “they need to man-up” it’s just not socially acceptable (and we’re talking about 15yr olds). I told my my mate and he said you should see what happens in Sutton area - it’s even worse and it gets even worse as you head into London. So if we take that the majority of non-white families ( I won’t use the acronym as my friends of South Asian decent find it highly offensive title) live in our cities and there is inherent racism / sexism within our society no wonder none are coming through.

As for Sussex FA looking after theses kids wanting to be refs ……. Your having a laugh. No tips on dealing with abusive parents or reporting or doing anything about it when it’s in the report.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Forgetting the Guardian subtext for a minute, the real problem is that no one wants to ref full stop. For our clubs teams, we can get a ref 50% of the time from age 8 to 14. Get above U15 and the numbers drop significantly as the parent wanker and abuse quota goes up exponentially. We've had the lot at our club. Racial abuse, physical abuse, abuse of all kinds (I've just finished reading about how one of our players was called a spastic **** by a parent of the opposition).

I ref a lot as we can't get anyone else to do it. Bollox to that when my lad jacks it in. Its totally thankless. That's why Man U players abusing the ref and VAR encouraging that on Tuesday night is so important. Because dickhead parents have watched that and think abusing the ref is acceptable and that it works.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Why anyone becomes a referee is beyond me. My son was a ref for 3 seasons (I can’t believe he did it that long). and the abuse he got from parents (and it was Horsham district under 13/14 and below leagues so we are talking about a well educated, middle class environment) was socially unacceptable. Many of you will go to watch your kids / grand kids football this weekend and not realise what your actually doing and abuse you are giving towards a child. And don’t come the “they need to man-up” it’s just not socially acceptable (and we’re talking about 15yr olds). I told my my mate and he said you should see what happens in Sutton area - it’s even worse and it gets even worse as you head into London. So if we take that the majority of non-white families ( I won’t use the acronym as my friends of South Asian decent find it highly offensive title) live in our cities and there is inherent racism / sexism within our society no wonder none are coming through.

As for Sussex FA looking after theses kids wanting to be refs ……. Your having a laugh. No tips on dealing with abusive parents or reporting or doing anything about it when it’s in the report.

Couldn't agree more.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
95% of all professional ‘curry’ chefs are non white.

Absolute disgrace.

In other news, most netball players are women.
Come on, those are hardly the same. If a white person wanted to become a professional curry chef, there wouldn't be a number of barriers along the way that were purely to do with the colour of their skin. You can't imagine many situations where a white person might be considering taking it up as a profession but give up in the fear of abuse they might get from customers or other kitchen staff

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
95% of all professional ‘curry’ chefs are non white.

Absolute disgrace.

In other news, most netball players are women.

After the recent AFCON tournament I wonder there’s a provincial football team’s chat site in Burkina Faso where the lack of white officials is being discussed?

Conspiracy theories will no doubt abound, and the blame will be firmly laid at the door of the “old chiefs in loin cloths” that still run the game over there.

What a game.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
All 40 Elite football referees are SHITE

So possibly and maybe even probably the quality would get better with more BAME referees given a chance to advance instead of being given obstacles when white men can't see the issue.It would be simple to see the issue if all Elite referees were non white. or women.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So possibly and maybe even probably the quality would get better with more BAME referees given a chance to advance instead of being given obstacles when white men can't see the issue.It would be simple to see the issue if all Elite referees were non white. or women.

Yeah, employing people because of the colour of their skin has always worked well in the past hasn’t it. Why change a winning formula ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If they are the best and have gone through proper training etc as to their skill set and they are THE top 40 then no problem. People should be promoted on their ability etc not to fill any quota's or pander to be seen to be doing the 'right' thing. I am sure there are many talented BAME ref's out there who when they prove their worth will be on that list.

Exactly. If the top 40 referees in the country are white, then so be it. If the top 40 referees are black, so be it. This crazy focus on the colour of people's skin has got to stop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here