Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When did it become unfashionable to have wingers playing on the same side as they are footed?

I really miss the classic winger beating his man and WHACKING it into the box.

Hudson Odoi did it to us last night and Giroud scored. Simple.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One of your top 10 goals in your youtube highlights package being a penalty - you do have to wonder...

Very decent strike to be fair - much like one or two of Kane's in the WC.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
One of your top 10 goals in your youtube highlights package being a penalty - you do have to wonder...

The main thing I take from the Ali YouTube vid is just how poor the defending and goalkeeping is in that division . Prem is a massive step up

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The main thing I take from the Ali YouTube vid is just how poor the defending and goalkeeping is in that division . Prem is a massive step up

Yep deffo.
You just don't get poor defending like that in England.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep deffo.
You just don't get poor defending like that in England.
Nobody is saying that. But Ali J scores goals against pub team defences that back off and off. You won't find any of those examples of crap English league defending in the show reels of incidental attackers will you?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody is saying that. But Ali J scores goals against pub team defences that back off and off. You won't find any of those examples of crap English league defending in the show reels of incidental attackers will you?

If that's the case Ali is probably regretting not signing for anyone except us.
He could have Mitroviced his way into our hearts.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Have always hoped he would come good, but I'm just not sure how long you give it. We are a not a club that can squander record-signing fees, they have to hit the ground running and impact games. At this stage he looks another Mackail-Smith - popular, trying his best, but for various reasons including level of opposition and how he is played by manager, it's just not working.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Chelsea away is the time to judge him, is it? Bravo all, well done.

Yes, everybody is making their assessment purely on his completely ineffectual, careless performance last night, and not at all on any of his previous 18 ineffectual showings.

That was his 12th Albion start. His 19th appearance in all. He's played mainly on the left, but also behind a striker, and for parts of games, on the right. 4 of those appearances have been against Championship clubs. He is yet to register ONE goal, or ONE assist. He has no pace of note. He isn't strong. He repeatedly gives the ball away with stupid flicks. If there's a great player in there, he's hiding it very well.

Your absolute faith in him, is frankly baffling. He has done literally nothing to suggest he is good enough.

He'll probably score 25 for Ajax next season, though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, everybody is making their assessment purely on his completely ineffectual, careless performance last night, and not at all on any of his previous 18 ineffectual showings.

That was his 12th Albion start. His 19th appearance in all. He's played mainly on the left, but also behind a striker, and for parts of games, on the right. 4 of those appearances have been against Championship clubs. He is yet to register ONE goal, or ONE assist. He has no pace of note. He isn't strong. He repeatedly gives the ball away with stupid flicks. If there's a great player in there, he's hiding it very well.

Your absolute faith in him, is frankly baffling. He has done literally nothing to suggest he is good enough.

But he's only started 8 league games.
He's played a full 90 minutes in just 4 league games. (surprisingly we won 3 of them)
Only 3 of those games have been consecutive.
He did miss 13 consecutive league games through injury and international duty.
2 of the cup games were straight after international duty.
& everybody was dog ploppies v Millwall (and Southampton).
Oh and he's hit the woodwork at least twice.
Thems be the fine margins we're playing with here.

We don't know whether there's a great player in there or not, but I put it to you, my honourable friend, that he and therefore we haven't had enough time to form that opinion.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/alire...18&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He is still on a learning curve but to his credit he gets stuck in with defending duties unlike AK, who Warren Aspinal gets very frustrated with, and was probably at fault for the first goal.

This summer should be interesting and will probably knock Isquierdo and AK down the pecking order at least. AJ has more time on his side.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
His talent is clear. I don't have any questions about his desire to succeed and I don't believe he's a pup. He's a quality player who will show it in the right conditions, which we have not currently provided for him. The team should be built to get the most out of the individuals, rather than fitting individuals into a rigid structure which doesn't allow them to flourish. I get the team ethos, but surely the team is best served by all the parts of it functioning at their highest output. Jahanbakhsh would get goals and assists if he were allowed to get a run of games on our right wing, with Montoya behind him. I think Montoya would also benefit to having a player on a similarly high wave length to play with on that side and that's a partnership which could really flourish for us, which excites me. I am excited by the potential we have in our team - and massively underwhelmed by every performance for the last several months.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

But he's only started 8 league games.
He's played a full 90 minutes in just 4 league games. (surprisingly we won 3 of them)
Only 3 of those games have been consecutive.
He did miss 13 consecutive league games through injury and international duty.
2 of the cup games were straight after international duty.
& everybody was dog ploppies v Millwall (and Southampton).
Oh and he's hit the woodwork at least twice, thems be the fine margins we're playing with here.

We don't know whether there's a great player in there or not, but I put it to you, my honourable friend, that he and therefore we haven't had enough time to form that opinion.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/alire...18&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

EIGHT league starts, is more than a huge amount of players ever get to prove themselves at a new club. We're not talking a handful of minutes here. The club, and fans, have actually been pretty patient with him, IMO.

I disagree entirely with your conclusion, that I haven't had enough time to make the assessment I made - which was that he hasn't shown anything at all to date, to suggest he is good enough. That doesn't mean he never will, though personally I'd be surprised

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
wingers2.JPG

Not much to choose between the lot of them. See what I think at the end of the season?

I think I undertyped Bissouma's pace. Play one winger Izquierdo with Bissouma in midfield with the option of going wide.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What this thread was really crying out for was some bafflingly irrelevant graph with a load of silly irrelevant numbers that prove absolutely nothing except the utter hatstandishness of the author. Thanks perseus, great job as usual. :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
EIGHT league starts, is more than a huge amount of players ever get to prove themselves at a new club. We're not talking a handful of minutes here. The club, and fans, have actually been pretty patient with him, IMO.

I disagree entirely with your conclusion, that I haven't had enough time to make the assessment I made - which was that he hasn't shown anything at all to date, to suggest he is good enough. That doesn't mean he never will, though personally I'd be surprised

8 league starts into a 5 year contract - tough crowd.

New club.
New country.
New team mates
On the back of a World Cup.
Injuries
Playing in a team currently having a crisis of confidence.

As said he's an inch away from a couple of goals were we not so toothless up front he might have weighed in with the odd assist by now.
Which even if everything else were the same I'd suggest you'd be giving him more time (you're not exactly known for knee-jerk reactions) and quietly waiting to be surprised.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Brain Power"

I went to school with a Brian Power but I don't see what he's got to do with anything. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here