[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aliparvin

Jul 23, 2018
I became a Brighton fan when Alireza signed and I watched his first few games at 4 am here in the US. Running around telling my wife "brighton till I die!!!" while she was giving me strange looks. Then he fell off, he started to be hated by the fans. He went from being on the bench to not even being on the bench, so of course i didn't wake up early anymore to watch the games and I stopped paying attention. Past few days have been magical for me as I'm sure you can guess. I'm so happy to see most of you guys are starting to like him again and god damn it he deserve it. This dude is such a hard worker probably the most mature and humble player our National Team has ever had. (him and Ando Teymourian.) East Sussex, even though you guys made me sad and disappointed for your lack of support of my boy, I'm so glad things are changing. Love you guys!

-Another Alireza from Seattle Washington.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
My Official Order of Blame for the recent performances:

1. Hughton

the end.

My gut feeling is that there is a player in Jahanbaksh who is more than capable of creating and scoring for a bottom half Premiership team. It's simply that the system, the rigidity of the system and the approach (and the resulting malaise) just doesn't allow him to show what he can do.

I'd say keep him and see what he's like with a different manager.
Just looking through old posts and thought this was a good outlook !

Absolute beautiful NSC poetry that we’ve all learnt our lesson never to scapegoat Ali again after realising that there is much more trendier scapegoat available for all Ali’s woes in Hughton. And bonus he’ll never make it into Potter’s 18 to prove anyone wrong

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Absolute beautiful NSC poetry that we’ve all learnt our lesson never to scapegoat Ali again after realising that there is much more trendier scapegoat available for all Ali’s woes in Hughton. And bonus he’ll never make it into Potter’s 18 to prove anyone wrong

Wasn`t having a pop at CH in my post ,just interesting the odd poster trying to be positive and seeing there must be a good player there .Ali hopefully will be an asset to the squad we will need as many options for different types of games as most of the bottom half teams are picking up points and we cannot afford a slump like last season .I think our new style keeping more of the ball even against the top teams will keep us up and being able to score more goals ,let the opposition worry about us is the best way .

Wasn`t having a pop at CH in my post ,just interesting the odd poster trying to be positive and seeing there must be a good player there .Ali hopefully will be an asset to the squad we will need as many options for different types of games as most of the bottom half teams are picking up points and we cannot afford a slump like last season .I think our new style keeping more of the ball even against the top teams will keep us up and being able to score more goals ,let the opposition worry about us is the best way .

No worries, was being tongue in cheek. Hughton obviously bears some degree of responsibility along with Ali himself for the underperformances of last season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I became a Brighton fan when Alireza signed and I watched his first few games at 4 am here in the US. Running around telling my wife "brighton till I die!!!" while she was giving me strange looks. Then he fell off, he started to be hated by the fans. He went from being on the bench to not even being on the bench, so of course i didn't wake up early anymore to watch the games and I stopped paying attention. Past few days have been magical for me as I'm sure you can guess. I'm so happy to see most of you guys are starting to like him again and god damn it he deserve it. This dude is such a hard worker probably the most mature and humble player our National Team has ever had. (him and Ando Teymourian.) East Sussex, even though you guys made me sad and disappointed for your lack of support of my boy, I'm so glad things are changing. Love you guys!

-Another Alireza from Seattle Washington.

I think you meant “ Brighton until Alireza isn’t in the match day squad” :wink:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ding ding round 8

Oh and yes I maintain that Ali J’s first and most important job was as a back up FB under CH. when he did get the ball in the opposition half he was hard pushed to find an Albion player let alone an unmarked one to pass to. Am I surprised he didn’t look very good in a formation like that? No, no I’m not. I have only ever said “let’s give him a chance in a team that plays to his strengths”. I now, rather smugly, rest my case :wink:

So many just wrote him off (viciously) because he wasn’t very good in a CH team.

Don’t agree at all re CH, as per my previous post pages and pages back. [emoji2]

But I guess you were very much an advocate of 2-3-5 [emoji6][emoji2].....

The fact that CH gave him opportunities that he failed to take, regardless of any playing style, in some respects make the criticism from some understandable. Potter hadn’t given him any opportunity for half of the season, but clearly saw something and it is all coming together.

Interestingly, I do recall somebody saying he has struggled in his first season at previous clubs and then come good.

I just felt last season, because he joined late he struggled fitness wise, then picked up a thigh strain at Everton, then went off to the Asian cup and never really got any rhythm.

But to your credit you have stuck by AJ more than anyone else on NSC. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I became a Brighton fan when Alireza signed and I watched his first few games at 4 am here in the US. Running around telling my wife "brighton till I die!!!" while she was giving me strange looks. Then he fell off, he started to be hated by the fans.
Hated by fans? Nah. Many fans thought he wasn't good enough for the PL (incidentally, I wasn't one of them), but they didn't hate him. I can point out that when the players came onto the field last Saturday, his name was cheered just as all the others.

East Sussex, even though you guys made me sad and disappointed for your lack of support of my boy, I'm so glad things are changing. Love you guys!
You're as fickle as our fans. We don't pick the team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don’t agree at all re CH, as per my previous post pages and pages back. [emoji2]

But I guess you were very much an advocate of 2-3-5 [emoji6][emoji2].....

The fact that CH gave him opportunities that he failed to take, regardless of any playing style, in some respects make the criticism from some understandable. Potter hadn’t given him any opportunity for half of the season, but clearly saw something and it is all coming together.

Interestingly, I do recall somebody saying he has struggled in his first season at previous clubs and then come good.

I just felt last season, because he joined late he struggled fitness wise, then picked up a thigh strain at Everton, then went off to the Asian cup and never really got any rhythm.

But to your credit you have stuck by AJ more than anyone else on NSC. [emoji106]

I don't see how you can disregard playing style.

I rather let GB off lightly yesterday, because we need to move on, but the same applies here:-

I put forward a whole raft of mitigating circumstances for Ali's no shows.
Because of the comparison HM my main one has always been:-

Played out of position.

His resurrection game v Bournemouth shows him playing almost exclusively as an inside right.
The AZ HM shows the same.
V Chelsea all his 'good stuff' happened from inside right.

Now you are following GB's line yesterday as he:-

Produced a HM from v Huddersfield.
A game where Ali and the rest of the team played badly
In which Ali is inside left but with no actual heat.

At the moment I think, for Ali, he might only have one string to his bow, and assuming we're going forward that's where my focus is going to be.

Watching the Albion is fun.
A small part of that fun, is sitting in the ESL and after 20 minutes mentally saying:-

'Oh hello Aaron - wait a minute - If Mooy's there where that frack is Pascal?'
'Oh so why's he now there?'.

A la Chelsea I've just about got enough time to be comfortable in that formation then the rug gets pulled out again. :lol:

As said I will be intently looking to see if that can work for/with Ali. Finger crossed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't see how you can disregard playing style.

I rather let GB off lightly yesterday, because we need to move on, but the same applies here:-

I put forward a whole raft of mitigating circumstances for Ali's no shows.
Because of the comparison HM my main one has always been:-

Played out of position.

His resurrection game v Bournemouth shows him playing almost exclusively as an inside right.
The AZ HM shows the same.
V Chelsea all his 'good stuff' happened from inside right.

At the moment I think, for Ali, he might only have one string to his bow, and assuming we're going forward that's where my focus is going to be.

A small part of that fun, is sitting in the ESL and after 20 minutes mentally saying:-

A la Chelsea I've just about got enough time to be comfortable in that formation then the rug gets pulled out again. :lol:

As said I will be intently looking to see if that can work for/with Ali. Finger crossed.

Quite easily.

Football is a simple game.

You need natural ability, Ali has this which is why he isn't and never was shitehouse, just lacks natural pace - so your point re what is his best position is relevant, as it is apparently not where he has played elsewhere.

However, regardless of playing style, you will get opportunities, when he pulled his thigh muscle he was chasing a ball down at Goodison Park, that was not a defensive action, it was towards the corner flag in the opposing half.

I have never been at or played in a football match where an entire game was played in one half or the other. The only difference is the number of occasions those opportunities come along, that is why you have to make them count.

Last season he didn't, this season he has.

Frankly I don't give flying feck about heat maps............. Somebody showed me Davy Proppers yesterday, he ran around a lot........

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes the wholes shape is very fluid, which also explains why we get overloaded at times, (see our discussion re Alzate).
Perhaps that fluidity aids AJ.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes the wholes shape is very fluid, which also explains why we get overloaded at times, (see our discussion re Alzate).
Perhaps that fluidity aids AJ.

I wonder if it's what's been holding him back.

Interesting times ahead.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wonder if it's what's been holding him back.

Interesting times ahead.

Definitely - it’s almost like ‘total football’, where everyone in the team can play, but what I can’t get my head around is the lack of defensive structure without the ball.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Oh FFS.

He played at INSIDE FORWARD. The heat is the darker blue, exactly in that position but often drawn too wide. Hughton played left wingers on the right wing and right wingers on the left. No one ever complained about Knockaert or Izquierdo or March being out of position when we played 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. The whole point is that the Huddersfield game was a must win game in which we had to go forward. It wasn't Man City away. Played in his preferred position (but inversly) he sucked and was hoiked off. Why would I post a heat map that didn't back up my case?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Definitely - it’s almost like ‘total football’, where everyone in the team can play, but what I can’t get my head around is the lack of defensive structure without the ball.

If player (whopping great big) errors were taken out of the discussion I'm not so sure we'd be focusing on lack of defensive structure without the ball.

Sure maybe those errors are down to the pressure being applied, but you've got to think they are and will be reduced as the plan comes together.

They may well also be reduced by being a bit more prolific up the other end.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If player (whopping great big) errors were taken out of the discussion I'm not so sure we'd be focusing on lack of defensive structure without the ball.

Sure maybe those errors are down to the pressure being applied, but you've got to think they are and will be reduced as the plan comes together.

They may well also be reduced by being a bit more prolific up the other end.

You may be right.

But I like defensive structure, which is why I liked Hughton. Until the final few months we were excellent without the ball.

As you say all interesting stuff

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Have to agree.... When Sheff United did a number on us, I couldn't help thinking that in Chris Wilder they have the best of Potter and Hughton combined. They quickly fell back into solid defensive lines, they also pressed and quickly broke into potter'esqe attacking positions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have to agree.... When Sheff United did a number on us, I couldn't help thinking that in Chris Wilder they have the best of Potter and Hughton combined. They quickly fell back into solid defensive lines, they also pressed and quickly broke into potter'esqe attacking positions.
But how much longer has Wilder been working with HIS players?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Go for it [emoji2].

Unless we are inside our 18 yard box, we are not ultra defensive.

They also do not highlight, the tactic of inviting a team on to hit them on the break.

As with a lot of the football by technology they rarely tell the whole story, just part of it.

Edit - would be interested to see Wolves away vs the average, say Arsenal/West ham / Fulham / Southampton for example.

Do they map?

Pretty much a pointless tactic when pace isn't exactly Jahanbakhsh's greatest quality. Nor Gross. Nor Murray

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports