[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Exactly what the commentators said when he nearly chipped into the far top corner from the edge of the box early in the game. Not so sure myself, shame they didn’t ask him, it would have been another goal of the season contender if it’d gone in.

I thought it was on purpose at first but on the replay you could see him looking up and tracking the runs of his teammates followed by an "oops" expression once he hit the ball, so I think it was a cross. Which is also the right decision from that angle, even if it almost turned into a goal.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
So you think he’s been given a run of games under Potter to get up to speed? I don’t and I confess it does make me scratch my head. Maybe he is shit and I just can’t see it.

I wish he had been given the same number of chances as Solly March and Mooy got last season. Having said that GP seems to know exactly what he’s doing. I am genuinely a bit confused.

It can only be what Potter has seen in training.

I did notice last night that on one occasion he lost the ball and made no attempt to chase the man and win the ball back.

Could it be that aspect of his game?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Exactly what the commentators said when he nearly chipped into the far top corner from the edge of the box early in the game. Not so sure myself, shame they didn’t ask him, it would have been another goal of the season contender if it’d gone in.

Of course it was a cross. Totally clear from his body shape and where he looks (on the reverse angle replay they showed), that the intention was never anything other than to cross it :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought it was on purpose at first but on the replay you could see him looking up and tracking the runs of his teammates followed by an "oops" expression once he hit the ball, so I think it was a cross. Which is also the right decision from that angle, even if it almost turned into a goal.

He looked up before he hit the ball? That is so not Brighton :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So you think he’s been given a run of games under Potter to get up to speed? I don’t and I confess it does make me scratch my head. Maybe he is shit and I just can’t see it.

I wish he had been given the same number of chances as Solly March and Mooy got last season. Having said that GP seems to know exactly what he’s doing. I am genuinely a bit confused.

Doesn't this always come down to the same thing: players proving in training, day in and day out, that they can do the job requested of them to the level expected. That's the thing that none of us get to see.

We have no real choice but to trust Potter on that, not forgetting there is a whole coaching team and, although Potter will have the final word, if he has a genuine blind spot on a player, you'd expect the rest of his team to highlight that for him.

People may point to quotes where Potter has spoken enthusiastically about Ali J's training previously, but it comes down to actions speaking louder than words and, once again, I wouldn't expect Potter to ever publicly express negative sentiment about a player's training performances.

That's not to suggest Ali J doesn't put a shift in every day but, for whatever reason, Potter has not been convinced that he is worthy of an extended run in the team as of yet.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How can he be consistent if he doesn't get consistent playing time?

Can't expect a player to be consistent if he's getting random 15 minutes of playing time and excluded from the matchday squad half of the time.

Give him at least 5 EPL starts in a row and I'm sure he will play more consistently.

There’s all that time during training to impress too, don’t forget.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Chipping in nicely from the right for a goal and then smashing one in from the left. I like the more flexible and confident Ali J we are seeing this season. Stay or go, he is getting better and more confident as a top flight player. Very humble man, just itching to perform at his best. We need players like this. I hope he continues to do well for us. UTA

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The situation is a bit weird on so many levels:

He generally did well when he played last season, but didnt get to play much.

The club tried to ship him in the summer, I see no reason why the AZ director of football would lie about this and then Potter a few weeks later spoke about trying to get more goals from him.

Its possible that GP & staff identified in training that he was good, but not good enough for his allegedly high wage and probably could be sold for a decent fee due to his success in the Eredivisie, and decided to not play him much since it would be unnecessary to use a player with no future at the club (and according to what they saw, not significantly better than anyone else) instead of someone they werent planning to ship.

A normal summer some Eredivisie or Bundesliga club or similar would have paid up the £10m or so that he could be worth and invest it in a winger they believe more in, but this summer no one had the money to pay up for a question mark like him. With this reality in mind, GP & crew might just think "well, alright, lets see what we can do with him then".

I dont think he will start a lot. He is a bit of a luxuary player as, despite his obviously good end product, he is - from what I've seen - defensively not really what is required from a PL winger in a team that will often have to defend as much as it attacks. I could see him used as a very commonly used sub and infrequent starter however.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why not just be happy that an Albion player has had a great game instead of looking to justify why your agenda against the player won’t be wrong. You are just gagging to say “I told you so” aren’t you? Quite sad imo, as an Albion fan you’d think you’d like to be proved wrong rather than right about a player wouldn’t you? :shrug:

I hope to be proved wrong about Solly March every time he plays and delighted I was against Chelsea. :smile:
You're new here aren't you?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said elsewhere, I never would have credited Ali with the intricacies of some of his passes last night.

It was probably a League 1 thing, maybe just confidence or perhaps the relaxation that comes with actually winning!
Chances are it was a mixture of all 3, in a nice quiet stadium.

Now if IF that can be replicated when the pressure is on he's in with a chance, finally.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Can't expect a player to be consistent if he's getting random 15 minutes of playing time and excluded from the matchday squad half of the time.

Give him at least 5 EPL starts in a row and I'm sure he will play more consistently.

Trouble with that is do we write off those 5 games while he gets up to speed? If he gets up to speed? At this level you have to take your chance when you get it and he hasn't. There is some talent there but he needs an injury crisis or a cup run, something that gives Potter a chance to see him on a run of games.

Remember of course though Potter sees him every day in training is clearly not adverse to giving untried players a chance see Alzate. Connolly et al and yet AJ hasn't broken through? Maybe he's just not good enough?....

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Of those 37 how many were starts?

TBH, I don’t know why we got him in the first place as it’s clear he wasn’t a CH style of player. He wasn’t played to his strengths and I suspect that this has gone a long way to explaining his lack of form. Who would want to be a flair player in a CH team in the premier league?

He is clearly capable but as clearly not consistent enough.

Under Potter he has played in the league for 308 minutes, across 11 games. That includes 3 starts, but zero full games. In eight of those matches, he played 20 minutes or less. His longest time on the pitch in a single match is 85 minutes, against Bournemouth.

Based on his league games under Potter, his stats are:

Glorius He Ali Ababwa.jpg

Notes:
  • Small sample size, so not that representative I would have thought
  • Seems to outperform his xG significantly. So, either he's been lucky, or is a fantastic finisher.
  • Apologies to all who abhor statistics and prefer to use instinct to tell the story x

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Exactly!

Why do the haters to a tee say this:

“He ain’t consistent enough”
“.. actually he’s hardly started under Potter..”
“Well what does that tell you. Whatever this debate is boring he ain’t good enough”

?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

Trouble with that is do we write off those 5 games while he gets up to speed? If he gets up to speed? At this level you have to take your chance when you get it and he hasn't.

As opposed to Propper, Aaron and Solly who have been banging the goals in left right and Center?

Those guys are showing AJ how it’s done clearly.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
As opposed to Propper, Aaron and Solly who have been banging the goals in left right and Center?

Those guys are showing AJ how it’s done clearly.

Slow down! None of them are contributing greatly to the goals tally so that's why everyone is screaming for a striker right? If we had 20 goals from midfield it wouldn't be a problem would it? But whatever, you, I or anyone else think Potter feels the others contribute more in other ways or AJ would play. AJ to get in the side as a AM needs to contribute goals and assists and with a couple of excellent exceptions he hasn't really done that.

After 5 consecutive games he might turn into Kevin De Bruyne but its also possible that exactly the same inconsistencies will still be there. I suspect we will never find out.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Slow down! None of them are contributing greatly to the goals tally so that's why everyone is screaming for a striker right? If we had 20 goals from midfield it wouldn't be a problem would it? But whatever, you, I or anyone else think Potter feels the others contribute more in other ways or AJ would play. AJ to get in the side as a AM needs to contribute goals and assists and with a couple of excellent exceptions he hasn't really done that.

After 5 consecutive games he might turn into Kevin De Bruyne but its also possible that exactly the same inconsistencies will still be there. I suspect we will never find out.

The point is you’re holding up AJ to a higher standard then others in the squad for some reason.

His games to goal record is no different to Solly, Propper or Conolly’s for instance. Yet you criticise him for being inconsistent and not scoring enough.

Jimmy Grimble

Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

Weirdly, when I think of Jahanbaksh, the first moment that comes into my head is the dipping thunderbolt he hit against the bar vrs. Huddersfield at The Amex in his first season. I just remember thinking if that had gone in, how his time with us may have panned out differently.

I’m still not convinced by him as a consistent enough PL performer, but I do think he’s in the top 3 purest strikers of the ball at the club, if not the purest. I imagine he’s the sort of fella who pings them in for fun from 20+ yards in training.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports