Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I guess we could wait just 29 hours until we start gleefully fighting him off.

I'm genuinely completely neutral as to what Potter decides to do with AJ - trusting his judgement. If he started, I'd be interested to see what he can do. If he's dropped completely, it's becoming increasingly clear where Potter's opinion is.

Perhaps I just trust managers too much? :shrug:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So, big squad selection tomorrow with Trossard back and March fit. If AJ doesn’t make the squad, it’s going to tell us where Potter is on Jahanbakhsh, and whether he really does have any part to play at all.

100% agree.

I would like AJ to do well actually, he’s clearly a good guy, good pro. Whether he has the ability for top level remains to be seen.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

I'm genuinely completely neutral as to what Potter decides to do with AJ - trusting his judgement. If he started, I'd be interested to see what he can do. If he's dropped completely, it's becoming increasingly clear where Potter's opinion is.

I think given the very bold moves Potter has got right so far (shipping Locadia / Knocky / Andone out, bringing the kids in) he’s earned our trust with how he evaluates AJ.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We have hundreds of pages of speculation . . . . but no ones seen him play in a competitive match since Potter arrived. we just have to wait rather than trying to predict his demise.

the fact he's still here says enough for now. our only real concern with players is frafgility and fitness . . . we do seem to have a few fragilico fantastico's

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We have hundreds of pages of speculation . . . . but no ones seen him play in a competitive match since Potter arrived. we just have to wait rather than trying to predict his demise.

the fact he's still here says enough for now. our only real concern with players is frafgility and fitness . . . we do seem to have a few fragilico fantastico's

Nobody is wishing his demise but it’s worthy of comment that so far we have not seen him in a Potter side even when fit and available. This is not us judging him it’s the manager who sees him everyday in training but still decides not to include or start him. I think anyone expecting Potters approach and coaching will take him from last seasons flop to some sort of superstar are going to be disappointed. Good players show signs of quality in any system the idea that purely the way Hughton setup is why he was so terrible last season is a bit far fetched. I am sure he may show signs of improvement and might even prove to be a valuable squad player but I think longer term we will see him moved on and replaced.

Sometimes it just does not work out for a player at a club and I think this is just another example of that

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree, a fit and effective AJ in Potter's mind would presumably mean he doesn't need to bring Trossard back too early. If however, AJ doesn't make the bench, it would seem that he is simply not in Potter's plans at a stage in the season when he should be starting to know who his trusted players are.

So assuming Propper, Duffy, March and Trossard come back into the squad and also assuming none of the players who started against Spurs drop out of the 18 ..... Only 2 of Murray, Bissouma or Ali J can make the bench.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

An odd understanding of neutral and trusting the manager.
Bouncing a thread 1 day before we find out the managers decision with a fairly negative post second guessing the manager.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
So assuming Propper, Duffy, March and Trossard come back into the squad and also assuming none of the players who started against Spurs drop out of the 18 ..... Only 2 of Murray, Bissouma or Ali J can make the bench.

You never know when it comes to Potter and who he is going to start or make the bench.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why's it negative?
Oh come on, you mention 2 other players, infer (correctly) they are ahead of Ali in the pecking.
Pretty much assume he isn't going to be picked, which in turn will tell you if he's likely to ever feature again.

Other than that it's bursting with confidence and new thinking!!

I'd be amazed if Ali is here for the long haul.
I held hope because I believed in the process that bought him here.
That's now proving me loud wrong as fans in Turkey and Germany are exclaiming 'they paid how much!!'

But once again that's not a new statement either.

I just found the timing somewhat odd, just to bring us the speculation that's been done 1000 times over, this season alone, and will be done from 2pm tomorrow.

The rush to be right in this post Spence era is all a bit baffling.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh come on, you mention 2 other players, infer (correctly) they are ahead of Ali in the pecking.
Pretty much assume he isn't going to be picked, which in turn will tell you if he's likely to ever feature again.

That's now proving me loud wrong as fans in Turkey and Germany are exclaiming 'they paid how much!!'

I just found the timing somewhat odd, just to bring us the speculation that's been done 1000 times over, this season alone, and will be done from 2pm tomorrow.

The rush to be right in this post Spence is all a bit baffling.

As I think [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] has pointed out before, you're seeing stuff that just isn't there.

[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]'s post was not negative in any way, shape or form.

With our return to league action upon us, it's only natural to speculate on the make-up of both our 11 and 18 and Ali J is going to be part of that thought process and discussion.

"It's a nice problem to have" and all that, when a manager has an array of options at his disposal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Off we go again.

I'm not being but am tapping out, again, until the hattrick or transfer. :lol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I think you've read a huuuge amount into [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] 's post that just isn't there.

I took him simply to mean "I trust Potter's judgment when it comes to Ali J". Nothing more, nothing less.

None of these sinister and insidious Machiavellian undertones you seem to be applying.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I posted after a press briefing by the club on who is available tomorrow, the 2 players I mentioned both specifically named in the press briefing as now being available after knocks, both playing in 'said' players position. Is it not something you'll be wondering going into tomorrow?

Besides, the nuance of the post was discussing what the manager's thoughts may tell us - because we don't know yet, and one thing we do know is Potter isn't scared of pulling a surprise in either selection or tactics - that's where I think there is a bit of intrigue and unpredictability.

I'm not interested in being right or wrong, actually, I tell I lie, I'd be delighted to be wrong rather than right, and hence was thinking if he'd have to make way or not. It's not a foregone conclusion he will.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Maybe im in a minority but i think with a couple of decent shifts under his belt in the next few games, Ali will come good for us.

I refuse to believe that such an exciting player last season is incapable of producing similar if coached in the right way and with the right support round him.

Maybe im an optimist but im not giving up on him just yet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Maybe im in a minority but i think with a couple of decent shifts under his belt in the next few games, Ali will come good for us.

I refuse to believe that such an exciting player last season is incapable of producing similar if coached in the right way and with the right support round him.

:fishing: ?
:smokin: ?
:drink: ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

(March was already in the squad.)

If nobody who started drops out altogether (seems reasonable enough an assumption), then just to accommodate Davy and Trossard in the 18, AJ is almost certainly surplus.

Duffy doesn't affect it - if he returns, he takes Balogun's place on the bench.

Subs for Spurs were:

Button (no change)
Murray (starts or bench for sure)
March (as Murray)
Balogun (maybe replaced by Duffy)
Bong
Bissouma
Jahanbaksh

If March and Alzate are in the 18, then via a substitution or a reshuffle, they offer some full back cover, so he could leave out Bong. To accomodate Davy AND Trossard, two of those last three on the above list are out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I’m with you but I am coming around to thinking that we’ll never find out. Not sure that he could be considered to have been anywhere close to exciting last season though. March, who I previously thought was very lightweight, proved me wrong and was possibly the only exciting player last season, along with the occasional brilliance of Bruno.

I am disappointed not to have seen AJ in a Potter first team, but the turnaround has been so spectacular that I cannot reasonably be that upset that Potter hasn’t seen fit to play him, especially with the injuries we had over the last few games, and the performances of the young guns in those games.

I think AJ may never get that Last Chance Saloon opportunity and will be written off as a massive waste of 15 million or whatever we paid for him by most fans.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think AJ may never get that Last Chance Saloon opportunity and will be written off as a massive waste of 15 million or whatever we paid for him by most fans.

But TBH he is....

There has been no evidence to the contrary and apparently even in training, whatever he is doing is not enough for managers, even though they themselves have contrasting styles.

However, I remain on the fence on this one, as he does have a decent touch and could turn it round, but it is increasingly difficult to see where he fits due to his lack of pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
I have to say, with so many behavioral issues and points dropped from red cards..
Jahanbakhsh had 2 yellows in 19 matches, one of them arguably nonsense.
I do hope Potter will try him in one of his attacking formations against one of the bottom half teams. I think even a subpar Alireza would be better than playing with 10 men and another 2-3 points dropped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here