Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
My suspicion is with a run in the side in an attacking three he would probably come good eventually but why would you give him that run when we have better players? Nothing at all against him, he seems a good pro and is determined to succeed but that is not enough unfortunately.

This is where I am at too.
I reckon if we played him every game from now he might, by the end of the season, start to show some semblance of the form that made us buy him in the first place.
But that isn't how it works is it? He's had chances. He is no more deserving of those chances, and further chances, than anyone else.

What he desperately needs to do is TAKE A CHANCE, like Connolly and Alzate did last night, like Maupay, Trossard and Andone did in their first appearances of the season.
But he simply hasn't done that, and people on here claiming last nights dragged shot was a positive just show how bloody far away from any kind of form he is. He is a forward player who still has ZERO goals and ZERO assists.
There's a space on the bench against City- Alzate or Connolly deserve it ahead of him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When you say plenty aren't going to do that, are you including GP who hasn't put him in a PL squad yet?

AJ has had a full pre-season, played in a number of friendlies. Is fully fit. Settled here for a year. Potter doesn't as yet rate him. You may feel perplexed by NSC opinions, but the manager feels the same way at the moment.

With Andone out, if he doesn't make the ManCity or Burnley squads, or at least get some PL minutes on the pitch, you'll have an answer to GP's view.
Yep that's what I'm saying.

Fresh start etc and he's still not impressing, certainly not enough to impose himself on the first team squad.

If posters want to carry last season's shitestorm over to this then fair enough.
I was being extremely charitable with my positive assessment of his game last night, from a 'clean slate' perspective.

The only thing I am perplexed about is the 75-80% win rate when he starts.
I don't imagine anyone can explain that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By my reckoning it's at least 6. He started 11 times or so from 06 Feb, but missed the Bournemouth home game so split that run to 6 and 5.
When we got hammered :shrug: :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep that's what I'm saying.

Fresh start etc and he's still not impressing, certainly not enough to impose himself on the first team squad.

If posters want to carry last season's shitestorm over to this then fair enough.
I was being extremely charitable with my positive assessment of his game last night, from a 'clean slate' perspective.

Ten other players working hard as they know they have a passenger to carry?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm thinking that has to be a mathematical error. He started too many games for that to be the case. Perhaps that was the win rate in cup games only? :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree. I'm very interested to see who gets Andone's squad place for the next two games. To me, it looks a shoot out between Ali J and Connolly. The answer will tell us a bit about Potter
Will it tell us about Potter, or about the two players you mention?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm thinking that has to be a mathematical error. He started too many games for that to be the case. Perhaps that was the win rate in cup games only? :lolol:

I certainly can't be arsed to work it out now, I'm sure someone is already on it.

There was a time, last season, when it was stooooopidly high.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

He started at Palace, we won that. Wolves and Newcastle, we won. Everton we lost. So 3 out of 4 league starts- not too shabby.
Not sure about the cups.

EDIT. That's nonsense.

He also started against Hudds and West Ham, we won.
Then...
Saints
Chelsea
Cardiff
Spurs
Man City
We lost all those.

He played quite a few times last year huh? More than I remembered.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It will tell us whether his priority is to promote from the academy or to rehabilitate the troubled signings of 2018.

From a purely playing point of view, you could make the argument either way about who would better complement the matchday squad. My guess is Ali J will get the nod, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Will it tell us about Potter, or about the two players you mention?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree. I'm very interested to see who gets Andone's squad place for the next two games. To me, it looks a shoot out between Ali J and Connolly. The answer will tell us a bit about Potter

#

Big Jurg's is probably up fo grabs as well, so they might both get in.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think you might be right there mate. And if I had a little more spare time at work today, I'd probably dig up the highly sarcastic and patronising reply you gave to me about a week ago, when I suggested I wouldn't be surprised if Jurgen did go on loan before the end of the window. :)

Big Jurg's is probably up fo grabs as well, so they might both get in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It will tell us whether his priority is to promote from the academy or to rehabilitate the troubled signings of 2018.
That's suggesting that Potter won't take into account any of what he sees in training. It'll be a bit of everything. He'll want to promote from the academy and rehabilitate old signings, but which he favours regarding these two players will depend a lot on how successful he thinks they'll be.

From a purely playing point of view, you could make the argument either way about who would better complement the matchday squad. My guess is Ali J will get the nod, but I wouldn't bet on it.
If he felt one would complement the matchday squad a lot more than the other, then I imagine that would override everything else, but if it's close (as you suspect), other factors will play a part. It'll also depend on what will happen to the players if he doesn't pick them. Maybe he'd think that Connolly would progress faster with a loan move. If loaning out Alireza is a possibility, maybe that will be the best way for him to get game time and form, to be in a position to recoup some of the money we've spent on him.

We'll see soon enough.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If Locadia goes, it's 2 places between 3 - AliJ, Connolly and Alzate ?

Connolly and Alzate are both about 19-20 so can be named as extra above the 25, I assume they will named on the back of the match day programme now with numbers 44 and 46 they had last night.

I would keep both Ali J and Loccadia in the squad, I think they are both playing well under Potter.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Connolly and Alzate are both about 19-20 so can be named as extra above the 25, I assume they will named on the back of the match day programme now with numbers 44 and 46 they had last night.

I would keep both Ali J and Loccadia in the squad, I think they are both playing well under Potter.

Yes, of course.

I should have been clearer in that I was referring to the match day 18 in that post, though.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Fortunately Mr Potter knows a million times more about football and footballers than me but that won't stop me being very surprised if after last night's game the unfortunate Alireza is not put out of his and our misery with a move. He was out of his depth in last night's car park puddles at The Mem and is in my all time top three least admired Brighton players alongside Silky Dave Cameron and Ricky Marlowe.

Alzate and Connolly on the other hand, particularly the former were full of excitement and I am very much looking forward to seeing much more of both. Alzate was quite brilliant, full of tricks, pacey and hard-working.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Fortunately Mr Potter knows a million times more about football and footballers than me but that won't stop me being very surprised if after last night's game the unfortunate Alireza is not put out of his and our misery with a move. He was out of his depth in last night's car park puddles at The Mem and is in my all time top three least admired Brighton players alongside Silky Dave Cameron and Ricky Marlowe.

Alzate and Connolly on the other hand, particularly the former were full of excitement and I am very much looking forward to seeing much more of both. Alzate was quite brilliant, full of tricks, pacey and hard-working.

I thought Ali J was good, didn't his deflected shot lead to Connolly's first goal. I like the way he was going for placement over leathering it.

I would like to see him get run outs under Potter as so far it lets him roam more.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I thought Ali J was good, didn't his deflected shot lead to Connolly's first goal. I like the way he was going for placement over leathering it.

I would like to see him get run outs under Potter as so far it lets him roam more.

He was utter gash. Most in the gazebo stand behind the goal seems to be just laughing at his hapless touch. And he was physically completely shot to bits in the last 15. None of this can have escaped the boss. He was off the pace mentally and physically, and his impact on the game extended to one wildly deflected shot, which he was so so slooowwww to get away (anyone else would have launched it without a slide block coming in).

I’m sorry to say that those there last night would have you in a very very small minority if you thought his performance was “good”. Last night he was crap, and that’s all I’ve seen since he joined. Get rid, and take the massive financial hit, because there simply cannot be another mug out there willing to pay an 8 figure sum for such an ordinary unfit player.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
D
He was utter gash. Most in the gazebo stand behind the goal seems to be just laughing at his hapless touch. And he was physically completely shot to bits in the last 15. None of this can have escaped the boss. He was off the pace mentally and physically, and his impact on the game extended to one wildly deflected shot, which he was so so slooowwww to get away (anyone else would have launched it without a slide block coming in).

I’m sorry to say that those there last night would have you in a very very small minority if you thought his performance was “good”. Last night he was crap, and that’s all I’ve seen since he joined. Get rid, and take the massive financial hit, because there simply cannot be another mug out there willing to pay an 8 figure sum for such an ordinary unfit player.

Ouch

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Wonderful support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here