Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If he doesn't come up to scratch with everything in his favour then c'est la vie.

Someone was always going to miss out, I thought it might be Andone, (shows how little it know) but he's in the squad and can't be replaced so I assume he'll have to be really out of favour to leave now.

The club can’t win them all.

My complete guess pre-season was that 2 out of Propper, Locadia, Jahanbakhsh and Andone will end up thriving this season, whilst the other 2 will no longer be Albion players come Sept 20. Obviously as a supporter I’d love all 4 to succeed.

Minutes into the season, things look good for Propper and Andone.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

My complete guess pre-season was that 2 out of Propper, Locadia, Jahanbakhsh and Andone will end up thriving this season, whilst the other 2 will no longer be Albion players come Sept 20. Obviously as a supporter I’d love all 4 to succeed.

Andone is quality. Said it before we singed him. Didn't get much of a chance last season. This season I reckon he'll TEAR it up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Andone is quality. Said it before we singed him. Didn't get much of a chance last season. This season I reckon he'll TEAR it up.

Definitely, plus he scored the (equal) greatest Albion goal I’ve ever seen, destroying the hapless scum.

But his temper and quite a bit of laziness in some matches last season were issues.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Locadia did alright today

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Although I clearly wanted Alireza to shine at Brighton, I just don’t think he’s going to get a second chance this season with Andone and Maupay showing up so incredibly today. I think it’s just the ruthless way of EPL football. Alireza has historically always shined in his second seasons but we have to be honest that he’s just not going to get that chance week in and week out at BHA after last season. Feyenoord and some mid table Bundesliga teams were reportedly interested in him recently and their transfer window doesn’t close until early September. I hope he gets loaned out, has a chance to show his talent, and then BHA can get some of the fee back when selling next summer. It’s a shame to have a player as good as he is not even make the bench, even though I know a lot of you don’t see it (fairly, too, he really did not do much last season). I think mutual parting of ways is best. No reason to keep him languishing for “depth”.. he is not going to all of a sudden show up for BHA when you need it in the 8 minutes he is subbed it.

Although this journey has not been the best as an Iranian fan, especially with the frustrations of last season, last year and this transfer window was the first time I have followed an EPL team and so consider BHA “my” team. Whether Alireza is or is not here I will be excited to continue to follow and support the club, and I appreciate the opportunity the management gave to our player. Alireza will move up to brighter pastures and BHA will shock all the pundits who had BHA last this year.

UTA

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although I clearly wanted Alireza to shine at Brighton, I just don’t think he’s going to get a second chance this season with Andone and Maupay showing up so incredibly today. I think it’s just the ruthless way of EPL football. Alireza has historically always shined in his second seasons but we have to be honest that he’s just not going to get that chance week in and week out at BHA after last season. Feyenoord and some mid table Bundesliga teams were reportedly interested in him recently and their transfer window doesn’t close until early September. I hope he gets loaned out, has a chance to show his talent, and then BHA can get some of the fee back when selling next summer. It’s a shame to have a player as good as he is not even make the bench, even though I know a lot of you don’t see it (fairly, too, he really did not do much last season). I think mutual parting of ways is best. No reason to keep him languishing for “depth”.. he is not going to all of a sudden show up for BHA when you need it in the 8 minutes he is subbed it.

Although this journey has not been the best as an Iranian fan, especially with the frustrations of last season, last year and this transfer window was the first time I have followed an EPL team and so consider BHA “my” team. Whether Alireza is or is not here I will be excited to continue to follow and support the club, and I appreciate the opportunity the management gave to our player. Alireza will move up to brighter pastures and BHA will shock all the pundits who had BHA last this year.

UTA

Too early to write him off, unless Brighton sell/loan him out this month.

A couple of injuries elsewhere in the squad, and with the fruits of coaching work under Potter, who knows.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Considering Potters turned Dan Burn into a quality CB over the summer maybe we shouldn’t be so hasty.

he looked pretty good when I saw him last season

admittedly I only saw him twice in the home games in the cup

didn't go to all those other games he played in

so I won't pass judgement

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
imo he's got Maupay, Gross, Locadia, Mooy and Trossard in front of him for two positions.
I don't think Mooy will be competing for that position, but I imagine the others will. We'll see.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I liked @Lamie’s as always positive summary, that Murray/Locadia had the done the hard work softening up the Watford defence for Andone/Maupay.
I thought that was a little generous for Glenn. Not his best day.

Jimmy Grimble

UTA

An interesting and insightful contribution. Thank you.

(Even though I’m now even more convinced the guy will never be a feature for Brighton)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

UTA

Fair play mate .....i think we are all gutted for him and for the club , not prepared to write him off yet though as he is obviously talented , do you think he has struggled mentally/emotionally from his move to English football , i think a lot of us were secretly beaming when we beat Leicester for his signature but it just has not worked out....yet.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Remind me what he is good at. Genuine request

At premier league level he's got a great first touch and control, works hard and has got a good shot on him I think (Huddersfield when he hit the bar). For him to succeed in the PL though he needs to have at least one of these attributes: pace, power or skill to go past people and he doesn't at this level. Think the recruitment team made a £17m mistake here. The Dutch league is not the PL. When he started I was waiting to see which of these attributes he had but could see he didn't have them irrespective of formations or systems. He'll be better under Potter but he can't make him run that much faster, make him that much stronger and teach him how to take players on. Having pace around him will help (Maupay and Andone) but currently there are many players in front of him who contribute more given their attributes (I've used this word a lot).

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I don't think Mooy will be competing for that position, but I imagine the others will. We'll see.

Thought Mooy would be a good option in the two behind the front man when playing away at a top six side but after Potter brought on two strikers when we were 1-0 up, who needs to shore anything up! I do see Mooy as similar to Gross though in so far as he's got good movement, assists and set pieces. But he could play instead of Propper two as can defend (had to a lot at Huddersfield!)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

UTA
I am not giving up yet, in spite of the majority view, I have seen flashes of great play from him and still hope he gets a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here