Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I feel uncomfortable watching Murray now. A bit like watching an ageing elephant struggling to provide for its offspring because there’s no-one else to do it.

His contribution is reducing match by match and it’s embarrassing watching him having to turn back into trouble because he hasn’t even got the legs to run the ball into the opponents half. His 40 yarder quickly followed by Kayal’s equally poor attempt is the worst passage of forward play I’ve seen from us this season (accepting that we have had only a few passages of forward play this season). A shame Solly and Duffy didn’t make the keeper work harder with their efforts.

As a great man once (make that repeatedly) wrote:-

"If Murray starts I'm going home".

Poor old Glenn has been stinking the place out since December.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
None have struggled like our forwards. You're very harsh on Balogun, and I don't think Suttner was that bad. Even Schelotto had his moments. Unfortunately those moments were when he attacked, which he isn't allowed to do. Montoya was known as an attacking full-back... doesn't do much of that now

I was a big fan of Suttner, but I really don't think I am being harsh on any of them (Montoya a bit maybe). If you move to a club and two years later you have barely had a kick of a ball, I think its pretty fair to state that you've 'struggled'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So who is our worst ever centre back and worst AMEX era centre back?

Stumpy Tim

I was a big fan of Suttner, but I really don't think I am being harsh on any of them (Montoya a bit maybe). If you move to a club and two years later you have barely had a kick of a ball, I think its pretty fair to state that you've 'struggled'.

I would say, "not rated by Hughton" is different to struggling on the pitch. I never thought Suttner was a liability, and Schelotto was effective going forward. Hughton likes solid full-backs who prefer defending to attacking, and they didn't fit that bill.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So who is our worst ever centre back and worst AMEX era centre back?

Worst ever is Willie Young.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is an idiot.

Amex era, we've been pretty spoiled in that position. Dunk, Duffy, Upson, Uwe, Balogun, Greer, Goldson all good players. El Abd, even Halford perfectly serviceable for the level we were at.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yep. Half time came at a good time for him. He wasn't quite the second yellow waiting to happen after the break, so they'd clearly had a word to calm him down a bit. But he was still on a tightrope, so it was the right move to swap him for Murray for the last half hour.
Would of moved Locadia to CF personally Murray is finished no disgrace he’s had a good career.

Locadia is baffled to why he was the record signing and never played in the position he was signed for. Remember his debut yes it I know it was Coventry he looked just what was missing upfront. Next game goal against Swansea never really played again as a striker :shrug:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would say, "not rated by Hughton" is different to struggling on the pitch. I never thought Suttner was a liability, and Schelotto was effective going forward. Hughton likes solid full-backs who prefer defending to attacking, and they didn't fit that bill.

I don't think that's even true. He was very happy to rely on Bruno at his peak - and to suggest that he 'prefers defending to attacking' is patently not the case. He just wants them to not go wandering off. neglecting their core role.

Getting in the team and doing poorly is one kind of 'struggling'. Not even ever getting in the team, because you are incapable of performing to the manager's instructions, is another. Its not a success, is it?

So by your definition, Vincent Jansen hasn't 'struggled' at Spurs, then :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Greer was a bit shit wasn't he.

Not sure if you're joking, so unsure how to respond.

If you're serious, then you're mental. He started to get found out as he slowed down towards the end, but Gordon Greer transformed the way the team played. The first central defender to play for Albion since Lawrenson, whose first thought when the ball came near him, was not just to smash it as far as he could.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Worst ever is Willie Young.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is an idiot.

Amex era, we've been pretty spoiled in that position. Dunk, Duffy, Upson, Uwe, Balogun, Greer, Goldson all good players. El Abd, even Halford perfectly serviceable for the level we were at.
That's the point I was making the other day.

If the 'best' of the rest centre forwards were only as bad as our worst centre back we'd be in Europe by now.

You might need to plot that out on a police incident wipe board to fully understand what I mean. :lol:

Stumpy Tim

I don't think that's even true. He was very happy to rely on Bruno at his peak - and to suggest that he 'prefers defending to attacking' is patently not the case. He just wants them to not go wandering off. neglecting their core role.

Getting in the team and doing poorly is one kind of 'struggling'. Not even ever getting in the team, because you are incapable of performing to the manager's instructions, is another. Its not a success, is it?

So by your definition, Vincent Jansen hasn't 'struggled' at Spurs, then :shrug:

I should qualify that he has become defensive in the Premier League... we attacked more in the Championship.

Vincent Jansen was played as a striker in a top 4 team - I think he should have done better. Thought let's be honest, we all thought it would be him getting the winner last night

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is where I am. Except to say that at Premier league level when you're spending SEVENTEEN MILLION POUNDS, that is the very definition of crap.

Yup; for 17 million quid he should be Tehran opposition defences a new one.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not good enough, never will be good enough, never will be quick enough, never will be strong enough. A waste of 17 million big ones. Very, very average last night, though Locadia was worse.

Need to start March on Saturday and actually give him some licence to run at people.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Not good enough, never will be good enough, never will be quick enough, never will be strong enough. A waste of 17 million big ones. Very, very average last night, though Locadia was worse.

Need to start March on Saturday and actually give him some licence to run at people.

Well I thought that considering we were playing a team just reached the champs league semi finals away from home they both did pretty well...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I thought that considering we were playing a team just reached the champs league semi finals away from home they both did pretty well...

Especially as they were playing as DEFENDERS but then lets slag them off because they don’t look like classy FORWARDS :rolleyes:

We will never know how good they are under CH in the Premier League either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here