Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ali J as a striker?

Would you like to see Ali J tried as a striker

• Total voters

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Very very small pool of proven PL quality strikers left, if any. I imagine that we will be gambling on what’s left from the Championship or a foreign signing. Yes I’m suggesting that we are now looking at a rather hopeful gamble rather than what we intended to get in.. Not complaining, just accepting that we haven’t managed to get what we really need. I understand why but still doesn’t stop it being a disappointment.

Brewster is the only one left who MAY be up to being dropped straight in imo.

Let me be wrong.

No stomach for the fight? Not many dogs left worth backing in fairness.

Either way I am looking forward to the season but expecting another relegation struggle rather than mid table mediocrity that I was hoping for and looked possible with our early signings. No quality strikers incoming spells a struggle.
Personally don’t think we will be anywhere near relegation this season. Lallana if stays fit will be massive for us, finally a player to give teams something to think about as he has the quality to hurt you.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can see Andone being re-integrated into the group, Gyokeres given a squad place, and Trossard drafted in as a CF before I see Potter turning to Ali J up front.

D

Deleted member 2719

Whatever Potter thinks is right for him I will go with, I mean the lad must have something surely.

Come on Ali, time to show us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can see Andone being re-integrated into the group, Gyokeres given a squad place, and Trossard drafted in as a CF before I see Potter turning to Ali J up front.

History suggests both you and me are in with a shout before GPott turns to Ali J.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This seems to be commonly misconstrued, but the top 10 statement is a long term ambition of the club. No one is seriously expecting it to happen tomorrow.

Its hard to see it period. I did the BBC guess the final table positions thing and when you do (and considering the resourses advantages others have) its hard to see how tbh.

Liverpool - Citeh - Man U - Chelsea - Spurs - Arsenal - Leicester - Everton - Wolves - Stains - hard to see us finishing above any of the them, anytime soon

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I think a good few of us, myself included are hoping Andone shows some penitence and is integrated back into the group. He's a very good player and if he's over his dickhead behaviour he could be huge for us - Him and Maupay look great together - a real pair of pests.

If we could bag Brewster and had Andone coming back, i'd be ecstatic with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its hard to see it period. I did the BBC guess the final table positions thing and when you do (and considering the resourses advantages others have) its hard to see how tbh.

Liverpool - Citeh - Man U - Chelsea - Spurs - Arsenal - Leicester - Everton - Wolves - Stains - hard to see us finishing above any of the them, anytime soon
Not sure how you can hold that position and include 4 basketcase clubs.

Spurs - Punching above their weight.
Leicester - Vardy FC.
Everton - Implosion Imminent.
Southampton - Would rather sell than build.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Depends on how you define "soon". Also some of those teams will have the occasional bad season.

If the team can get one or two youth products into the team every year, allowing fewer but greater signings (a normal, covid-free year) while also developing players the same way Webster & Bissouma progressed last season, those top 10 days wont be very far away.

It probably wont happen this season, but I can easily see it happening the year after that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not sure how you can hold that position and include 4 basketcase clubs.

Spurs - Punching above their weight.
Leicester - Vardy FC.
Everton - Implosion Imminent.
Southampton - Would rather sell than build.

Evertons transfer business has been very good. Theyre a bigger club with a top european manager. Saints are a better squad than us and in Ings have a far better striker. Leicester has a much better squad and are more than just Vardy.
Are you seriously trying to compare our club, stadium, history, managers success, squad with spurs - go and have a lay down Stat

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Evertons transfer business has been very good. Theyre a bigger club with a top european manager. Saints are a better squad than us and in Ings have a far better striker. Leicester has a much better squad and are more than just Vardy.
Are you seriously trying to compare our club, stadium, history, managers success, squad with spurs - go and have a lay down Stat

No I'm saying those 4 clubs, in your top 10, are a mixture of sand foundations, emperor's new clothes or reliant on former glories.

Any one or two of those can easily be picked off, by the rest of 'us' due to their incompetence.
If that were to happen the rest are fair game.

Much like Wolves, who I also don't trust but it's not so easy to pin anything onto them (beyond agent/toys/pram) have done over the last couple of years.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Very very small pool of proven PL quality strikers left, if any. I imagine that we will be gambling on what’s left from the Championship or a foreign signing. Yes I’m suggesting that we are now looking at a rather hopeful gamble rather than what we intended to get in.. Not complaining, just accepting that we haven’t managed to get what we really need. I understand why but still doesn’t stop it being a disappointment.

Brewster is the only one left who MAY be up to being dropped straight in imo.

Let me be wrong.

No stomach for the fight? Not many dogs left worth backing in fairness.

Either way I am looking forward to the season but expecting another relegation struggle rather than mid table mediocrity that I was hoping for and looked possible with our early signings. No quality strikers incoming spells a struggle.

So if we'd bought a striker a week or so ago - then mid table !
But if we buy one next week - then relegation struggle. !
(regardless of the quality of the rest of the squad mind)
Ok Icy !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So if we'd bought a striker a week or so ago - then mid table !
But if we buy one next week - then relegation struggle. !
(regardless of the quality of the rest of the squad mind)
Ok Icy !

What part of the pool of quality strikers is diminishing day by day aren’t you getting?

If we’d got Nunez, yes maybe midtable. If we get some unproven foreign striker or Championship/League One punt in three weeks who the hell knows? :smile:

I do admire your 100% belief in the clubs ability to sign strikers, although you did have a wobble in your support when CH was sacked. Good that you are back on board :thumbsup:

I am loving watching the Albion again, despite my striker moaning every window.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
As a number 9 central striker its a no from me, but on the right of a front three could work. Trossard, Maupay, AJ across the front.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The club should never have said they want to be consistent top ten side, fans now have expectations and in reality it’s another season of Solly & Dale ****ing things up.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What part of the pool of quality strikers is diminishing day by day aren’t you getting?

If we’d got Nunez, yes maybe midtable. If we get some unproven foreign striker in three weeks who the hell knows? :smile:

I get what you're saying but its not true. Players become available for sale at the right price all throughout the window. Not just at the beginning.
Especially as other signings are made and squads/teams firm up.
As for Nunez - not sure why he is "proven" - in the Spanish 2nd Division for sure - but how come he's not "who the hell knows"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here