Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

alexis nicolas

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
right he played for chelsea and was allegedly well regarded, but what did he ever do here? People can say he was never given a chance, did he look good in reserve games? No he didn't, maybe he just was not up to it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well, I don't know about the reserve team games, but he looked good in the FIRST TEAM games. :shrug:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Well, I don't know about the reserve team games, but he looked good in the FIRST TEAM games. :shrug:

Exactly. We are trialling players and scrapping around when there is a perfectly good combative midfielder out there who we know can hack it and even knows the club a bit.

If he's that good, why is he trialling with a League 2/Conference yo-yo club? ???

It's not as if we didn't give him enough Championship games, particularly in 2004/5, for him to get noticed by other clubs.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Les Biehn said:
Exactly. We are trialling players and scrapping around when there is a perfectly good combative midfielder out there who we know can hack it and even knows the club a bit.
But still, only 3 months until Oatway's back, and we've got Jaques Williams.

:glare:

London Irish said:
If he's that good, why is he trialling with a League 2/Conference yo-yo club? ???
It's not as if we didn't give him enough Championship games, particularly in 2004/5.
And for the most part he did well, he was hampered at times by a niggling ankle injury.

Last edited:

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Doesn't he live Barnet way? Maybe he's just keeping in trim with his local club, before his much feted move to Championship/continental club:jester:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
_wilka_ said:
I thought I saw a picture of him in the paper yesterday playing for Barnet against Arsenal

Lee HarrisonRoss Flitney 76 Ian HendonJoe Devera 62 Paul Warhurst Simon King Nicos Nicolaou Dean Sinclair Andy Hessenthaler Nick Bailey Jason Puncheon Guiliano Grazioli Magno Vieira Subs not used
Gary Hooper Adam Gross Andrew Nicholas Ismail Yakubu Anthony Charles Richard Graham Liam Hatch

would guess Andrew Nicholas would be him!

Silent Bob said:
And for the most part he did well, he was hampered at times by a niggling ankle injury.

I watched most of his about 8 first-team games and a few of his Reserves games last season. The sad fact is he is a limited player who is not physical enough to command central midfield (never won one header in his entire two years here) and, worse, his passing was appallingly negative, always shifting responsibility on to other players in poorer, deeper positions.

London Irish said:

It's not as if we didn't give him enough Championship games, particularly in 2004/5, for him to get noticed by other clubs.

I remember seeing him up at Wigan in the 2004/05 season and thought what a load of shit. But in the following months he chnaged my mind and I thought he was a good defensive midfielder. Last season he had bad luck with injuries and when fit was frozen out of the side. It happens in football, managers just don't like playing certain players and have their favourites. McGhee even said after the Wolves away game last season that he thought Nicolas was worth another look. But then he decided to let him go?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
A midfielder capable of passing the ball forwards without it being intercepted... Now what we need one of those for?

:thud:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Trigger said:
A midfielder capable of passing the ball forwards without it being intercepted... Now what we need one of those for?

:thud:

Nicolas, pass forward? Behave.

Good player, I'd like him back, but he's not the forward passing, creative midfielder we're looking for. He's good at breaking up play and laying it off.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
I watched most of his about 8 first-team games and a few of his Reserves games last season. The sad fact is he is a limited player who is not physical enough to command central midfield (never won one header in his entire two years here) and, worse, his passing was appallingly negative, always shifting responsibility on to other players in poorer, deeper positions.

Even MM admitted he should have been given more of a chance. Not sure how keeping possesion is appallingly negative. I will however admit physically he did need to improve.

Last edited:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
London Irish said:

I'm sorry but I'm utterly incapable of not replying to this.

Which club's are currently looking to sign Mark McCammon?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The way things are it would surely made sense to keep him but to be fair he was no where near good enough. He had chances last year but didnt look any better than what we had in that position . .. which speaks volumes

good luck to the fella though , a decent pro

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
London Irish said:

O god...if I could be bothered to find that *thud* similey I would post it. Are you honestly suggesting that players like Charlie Oatway and Richard Carpenter would get in any other championship team?! I doubt they would get in many league 1 teams to be honest. Fact is they have managed to come to a club that rewards players for past success which imho is the wrong way to go about contract renewals.

As for the second comment his performance at Wolves proved to anyone watching that game that he is the only midfielder we have capable of consistantly passing to someone in the same coloured shirt rather than lumping the ball up in the air aimlessly ala richard carpenter. He did not play enough and despite that fact he behaved like a quality professional throughout never giving up on the cause and that to me shows that we have lost a gem of a player.

I wonder what will happen next year when they realise chippy is past it?! Oatway will probably be in his last season then as well and to have released a player that could potentially take over from oatway shows a lack of forward thinking as well as taking the easy decision to release nicolas rather than carpenter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here