Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis MacAllister

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
The problem with that is strikers in their early 20's who show enough promise to attract the attention of Premier League sides don't cost £10m...

...not even close.

Well, I’m hoping that the COVID crisis will affect the market. There will be a lot of smaller clubs that need to sell assets this summer, even though that sounds a little predatory.

We won’t be able to buy a polished final product for £10m but someone with significant potential, not from one of the top leagues is doable.

But it does leave a bigger risk of another flop.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It definitely was, but given the market for strikers (£40m for Joelinton...), it’s not necessarily a surprise.

We will definitely buy a striker in the summer, but I don’t expect it to be a marquee signing. It’ll be someone in their early 20s for around £10m who we think is worth the risk and can step up. We’ve been linked to a lad called Grbic from Clermont Foot who fits this description.

I still think Maupay can come good with better service. Also looking forward to seeing Gyokeres back in the summer. A tall young hungry striker who can play centrally or out wide. Hope he can make the step up.
Potter also has to decide what to do with Andone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, I’m hoping that the COVID crisis will affect the market. There will be a lot of smaller clubs that need to sell assets this summer, even though that sounds a little predatory.

We won’t be able to buy a polished final product for £10m but someone with significant potential, not from one of the top leagues is doable.

Im fairly confident the market 'bubble' will quickly reinflate when the likes of Newcastle, West Ham, Villa, Leeds et al start spending the money they don't have.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It definitely was, but given the market for strikers (£40m for Joelinton...), it’s not necessarily a surprise.

We will definitely buy a striker in the summer, but I don’t expect it to be a marquee signing. It’ll be someone in their early 20s for around £10m who we think is worth the risk and can step up. We’ve been linked to a lad called Grbic from Clermont Foot who fits this description.

I still think Maupay can come good with better service. Also looking forward to seeing Gyokeres back in the summer. A tall young hungry striker who can play centrally or out wide. Hope he can make the step up.

True, but was there not a short-term rental we might have got in just to boost numbers? Potter worried me when asked about not getting a striker in in January when he said the idea was to improve what we had - but we only had three strikers, and I don't think it's enough. As for improving them, Connolly looked as if he needed a spell back in the u23s to get his confidence back, Murray isn't going to improve much at 37, and Maupay needs shooting practice and a strike partner more than anything. And there was no margin for error as regards possible injuries and suspensions.

I admit that my approach could have led to a Leon Best-type fiasco, but even with five subs allowed and nine on the bench, we won't have any more striker options. But of course, we'll now be able to replace our entire lightweight midfield after 60 minutes with an equally lightweight one.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

There simply must be a COVID effect on transfer prices.

Here is a story about the best striker playing in Turkey who we have been linked to. Muriqi at 6ft4 has a superb all round game as well as being lethal in the air. Spuds could have made a cheeky sub-£5m bid but a cool £17m should snare Murray’s Kosovan long term replacement for us. I’d certainly be gutted if he signed for the other Albion (Championship).

“It has been reported that earlier this month Tottenham tested the water with a £4.5million bid for the striker.

That offer is said to have been rejected as derisory with reports emerging Fenerbahce want around £17million for the striker.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...uriqis-turkish-goals-alert-host-of-top-clubs/

“Former Turkish international and pundit Rıdvan Dilmen praised Muriqi, stating: "There are some forwards. They might be short and quick. Some are powerful. Some are tall, like Peter Crouch, who can get the ball on ground. Muriqi possesses all [of these].”

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It will be interesting to see if Potter starts with MacAllister. When we beat Arsenal earlier in the season Potter went 4-4-2 with Gross, Mooy, Propper, Stephens in midfield and Maupay and Connolly up front.

If he uses that same formation then it's harder to see how MacAllister fits in, particularly as it relies on Mooy and Gross helping the full-backs. I see him as most similar to Bissouma, but Biss has only started 7 Prem matches under Potter.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
True, but was there not a short-term rental we might have got in just to boost numbers? Potter worried me when asked about not getting a striker in in January when he said the idea was to improve what we had - but we only had three strikers, and I don't think it's enough. As for improving them, Connolly looked as if he needed a spell back in the u23s to get his confidence back, Murray isn't going to improve much at 37, and Maupay needs shooting practice and a strike partner more than anything. And there was no margin for error as regards possible injuries and suspensions.

I admit that my approach could have led to a Leon Best-type fiasco, but even with five subs allowed and nine on the bench, we won't have any more striker options. But of course, we'll now be able to replace our entire lightweight midfield after 60 minutes with an equally lightweight one.

Probably the most depressing post on this thread, but I can't argue with any of it. Lets be honest we have very little goal scoring threat. The only hope is that Alexis provides more opportunities and we take some of them.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Forgive further depression but its entirely posdible we wont have the money for a striker after the covid crisis. Not sure Tony will be able or willing to find the kind of money being spoken of.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Since Poyet our managers have all been happy to make do with what they have on the striker front. Poyet, of course, got rid of our best striker.

We had better hope that MacAllister is the goal scoring midfielder we have also been missing.

Really worrying lack of goal scorers in the squad

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Should MacAllister be a mahoosive success and score/assist enough goals to keep us up, Will Dirty Leeds fans claim it was Bielsa’s coaching that made him a great player?
Probably insist we sell him to them as well.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If (when) we stay up, I wonder if our efforts to get this guy back early turn out to be some of the best business done in recent history...?

I just have a hunch he’ll be providing a big impact for us.

Couldn't agree with you more, a real talent.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Forgive further depression but its entirely posdible we wont have the money for a striker after the covid crisis. Not sure Tony will be able or willing to find the kind of money being spoken of.
We never have money for a striker £20m CB no problem ffs. I can’t talk about this subject it winds me up piss poor recruiting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
he is bloody good on my FM2020 save. Hoping to get more out of him though as he is a bit inconsistent. Unplayable on his day, Jeff

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
We never have money for a striker £20m CB no problem ffs. I can’t talk about this subject it winds me up piss poor recruiting.

Sorry if I upset you. Whereas £20m could have been spent on striker rather than CB before my point was that we wont actually have £20m to spend at all after covid.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Since Poyet our managers have all been happy to make do with what they have on the striker front. Poyet, of course, got rid of our best striker.

We had better hope that MacAllister is the goal scoring midfielder we have also been missing.

Really worrying lack of goal scorers in the squad

All the managers apart from Oscar, and he already had Ulloa, have brought in a new striker every season. Some have been more successful than others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here