[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister - *** New Contract Until 2025 ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
As mentioned in the Argus story (although a few on here didn't believe me) these signings were "Brexit Punts" in the belief that a work permit would be easier post Brexit.

I assume they heard it from the same source.

I don't get it.

There are three separate things here, that seem to be morphing into one, in most people's mind.

1 The right to visit this country and include an extended stay.
2 The right to work in this country.
3 The right to become a citizen.

I don't know the exact rules, but most top footballers, would pass an economic test to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves during an extended stay in this country.
The right to work as a professional footballer is not limited by the EU but by the FAs rules on non-Eu footballers. This is why we see players, in other EU countries, that can not get permission to play in the premier league. The logic is we don't want cheap foreign players, blocking the progress of local prospects.
The right to become a British citizen and remain indefinitely, should not have any influence over players who come here to play. If some players choose to pursue this after an extended period of residence, that is entirely a personal decision.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Just seen this sounds like we have people going over to talk to Boca shortly

714f2a974d978186597cba1c1f4f219f.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit of a shame doing it now - SSN, desperate for any transfer news, are publicising his work permit and the fact that he is our player on loan to Boca. If only we could have left it a couple of months and done it when all focus would be on League titles, play-offs etc. - then announce his arrival at the start of the summer window.

Then enjoy the look of amazement and shock on the faces of fans other lower PL clubs when the headline comes up on SSN, 'Brighton sign Boca Juniors and Argentina playmaker'......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bit of a shame doing it now - SSN, desperate for any transfer news, are publicising his work permit and the fact that he is our player on loan to Boca. If only we could have left it a couple of months and done it when all focus would be on League titles, play-offs etc. - then announce his arrival at the start of the summer window.

Then enjoy the look of amazement and shock on the faces of fans other lower PL clubs when the headline comes up on SSN, 'Brighton sign Boca Juniors and Argentina playmaker'......

He signed a while ago. We’re recalling his loan.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I don't get it.

There are three separate things here, that seem to be morphing into one, in most people's mind.

1 The right to visit this country and include an extended stay.
2 The right to work in this country.
3 The right to become a citizen.

I don't know the exact rules, but most top footballers, would pass an economic test to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves during an extended stay in this country.
The right to work as a professional footballer is not limited by the EU but by the FAs rules on non-Eu footballers. This is why we see players, in other EU countries, that can not get permission to play in the premier league. The logic is we don't want cheap foreign players, blocking the progress of local prospects.
The right to become a British citizen and remain indefinitely, should not have any influence over players who come here to play. If some players choose to pursue this after an extended period of residence, that is entirely a personal decision.
The thinking is that when Brexit happens every EU player will also have to abide by the FAs rules for work permits making it significantly harder to sign an EU player potentially weakening the EPL. Unless the FA changes them to make it easier and if they did that they could hardly discriminate other countries. Though its the FA who knows what they will do.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The club and us supporters need a lift, I think we'd be stupid not to bring him over as soon as we possibly can. It seems that he has the green light to come so lets get him.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Will take some serious man management to get this to work, the downsides are significant.....however we need to roll the dice

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Will take some serious man management to get this to work, the downsides are significant.....however we need to roll the dice

Agreed. Cancelling the loan will upset the player, so expecting him to hit the ground running in a new country is a hell of an ask

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Olympic qualifying tournament runs until Feb 9th, potentially ruling him out until the Sheff Utd game anyway.

Last group game Jan 30th.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Agreed. Cancelling the loan will upset the player, so expecting him to hit the ground running in a new country is a hell of an ask

Not sure I agree with this. Any ambitious young South American should be willing to walk over broken glass to play in one of the top leagues in Europe.

If he has got anything about him, he should be jumping on the next plane to England.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The thinking is that when Brexit happens every EU player will also have to abide by the FAs rules for work permits making it significantly harder to sign an EU player potentially weakening the EPL. Unless the FA changes them to make it easier and if they did that they could hardly discriminate other countries. Though its the FA who knows what they will do.

OK thanks, I can follow that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I just don't see how you are so sure about this. Some article translated from Spanish saying he is happy at Boca? All players on loan say they are happy there.

I think it's a fair point that we can anticipate an adjustment period.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
not sure i agree with this. Any ambitious young south american should be willing to walk over broken glass to play in one of the top leagues in europe.

If he has got anything about him, he should be jumping on the next plane to england.

BOCA JUNIORS !!!

He is an Argentinian lad, playing at the equivalent of Chelsea or Man City in Argentina that he is also a lifelong supporter of. He went there with a season long loan in mind and has the possibility of winning the league title with them.

Absolutely it is our right to do so - but like I say, 21 year old lad...

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure I agree with this. Any ambitious young South American should be willing to walk over broken glass to play in one of the top leagues in Europe.

If he has got anything about him, he should be jumping on the next plane to England.

I agree, but it's not one of the top leagues in Europe; it's objectively the top league in the world right now and far superior to the Argentine first tier in quality, crowd sizes and global audience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports