Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister and the class of 2018-19

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I wonder what changed? I presume it’s the analysis which is key, as the data must be available to others. I think the club have said this. I also presume Bloom/Starlizard analyse the data? Did Bloom get better? Did the club bring in a better analyst?

Agree completely, everybody makes mistakes but the trick is being smart enough to learn the right lessons from making them.

We must (upon getting some of these players in) have realised that we’d failed to take some characteristics into account, and added checks on previously uncombined measurables.

I guess the recruitment team got better at using the data to filter out the long-shots, and give us a greater quantity of high-probability prospects. I don’t have any information though, and I’m not expecting the club to put their hard-learned lessons in the public domain.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I wonder what changed? I presume it’s the analysis which is key, as the data must be available to others. I think the club have said this. I also presume Bloom/Starlizard analyse the data? Did Bloom get better? Did the club bring in a better analyst?
I think it's far more that -- as the club's stated strategy indicated -- the first few seasons were about survival. The pools the club pursued fit into that, as did the requirements of the then manager, who has a very different approach to his successor and RDZ. Once we'd got through those first two seasons the transfer policy increasingly moved towards the longer-term, rather than pursuing first-team-ready players. Ali Mac was the first sign of that. If you go back to NSC at that point, it was full of posters questioning the strategy of investing in the future.
Bloom does long-term thinking, and part of that is identifying when to do pragmatic, and when to pursue a broader vision.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it's far more that -- as the club's stated strategy indicated -- the first few seasons were about survival. The pools the club pursued fit into that, as did the requirements of the then manager, who has a very different approach to his successor and RDZ. Once we'd got through those first two seasons the transfer policy increasingly moved towards the longer-term, rather than pursuing first-team-ready players. Ali Mac was the first sign of that. If you go back to NSC at that point, it was full of posters questioning the strategy of investing in the future.
Bloom does long-term thinking, and part of that is identifying when to do pragmatic, and when to pursue a broader vision.
Fair points. But the vast majority of the list did not become first team regulars. I counted 3 on the list.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mac Allister joined us in the January 2019 transfer window. It's incredible to look back at the players that joined us immediately before, and during, the 2018-19 season...

Date fromPositionNo.NameFromFeeJoining squadRef.
1 July 2018CF10Florin AndoneDeportivo La CoruñaUndisclosedFirst Team[24]
1 July 2018CB14Leon BalogunMainz 05Free transferFirst Team[25]
1 July 2018GK23Jason SteeleSunderlandFree transferFirst Team[26]
1 July 2018LB-Joe TomlinsonYeovil TownFree transferAcademy[27]
5 July 2018LB30BernardoRB LeipzigUndisclosedFirst Team[28]
9 July 2018GK-Hugo KetoArsenalFree transferAcademy[29]
16 July 2018GK27David ButtonFulhamUndisclosedFirst Team[30]
17 July 2018CM8Yves BissoumaLilleUndisclosedFirst Team[31]
20 July 2018ST26Percy TauMamelodi SundownsUndisclosedFirst Team[32]
25 July 2018RW16Alireza JahanbakhshAZ AlkmaarUndisclosedFirst Team[33]
7 August 2018LW-Billy ArceIndependiente del ValleUndisclosedAcademy[34]
7 August 2018RW-Anders DreyerEsbjergUndisclosedAcademy[35]
9 August 2018CB-Dan BurnWigan Athletic£3,000,000First Team[36]
9 August 2018LM-Peter GwargisJönköpings SödraUndisclosedAcademy[37]
9 August 2018RB22Martín MontoyaValencia£6,300,000First Team[38]
24 January 2019AMAlexis Mac AllisterArgentinos JuniorsUndisclosedFirst Team[39]
31 January 2019DMTudor BăluțăViitorul ConstanțaUndisclosedAcademy[40]
31 January 2019CFJan MlakarMariborUndisclosedAcademy[41]

With the departure of Mac Allister, late-bloomer Jason Steele is the only one of the 18 signings still at the Albion, and what a mixed bag it turned out to be.
That list includes seven players bought for the academy, none of whom ever played for the first team (not in the league anyway). I know selling on youngsters is part of the plan, but I wonder how well we did with those seven - we gave most of them away! Would loan fees have even covered the costs?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Jack Hinshelwood has been on the clubs books since ...2012. Started as a 7 year old !
I suspected that might have been the case… what an epic journey that boy has had ! hope he makes it (or continues his trajectory) and further embellishes the Hinshelwood Albion story as we journey into our exciting future…

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Mac Allister joined us in the January 2019 transfer window. It's incredible to look back at the players that joined us immediately before, and during, the 2018-19 season...

Date fromPositionNo.NameFromFeeJoining squadRef.
1 July 2018CF10Florin AndoneDeportivo La CoruñaUndisclosedFirst Team[24]
1 July 2018CB14Leon BalogunMainz 05Free transferFirst Team[25]
1 July 2018GK23Jason SteeleSunderlandFree transferFirst Team[26]
1 July 2018LB-Joe TomlinsonYeovil TownFree transferAcademy[27]
5 July 2018LB30BernardoRB LeipzigUndisclosedFirst Team[28]
9 July 2018GK-Hugo KetoArsenalFree transferAcademy[29]
16 July 2018GK27David ButtonFulhamUndisclosedFirst Team[30]
17 July 2018CM8Yves BissoumaLilleUndisclosedFirst Team[31]
20 July 2018ST26Percy TauMamelodi SundownsUndisclosedFirst Team[32]
25 July 2018RW16Alireza JahanbakhshAZ AlkmaarUndisclosedFirst Team[33]
7 August 2018LW-Billy ArceIndependiente del ValleUndisclosedAcademy[34]
7 August 2018RW-Anders DreyerEsbjergUndisclosedAcademy[35]
9 August 2018CB-Dan BurnWigan Athletic£3,000,000First Team[36]
9 August 2018LM-Peter GwargisJönköpings SödraUndisclosedAcademy[37]
9 August 2018RB22Martín MontoyaValencia£6,300,000First Team[38]
24 January 2019AMAlexis Mac AllisterArgentinos JuniorsUndisclosedFirst Team[39]
31 January 2019DMTudor BăluțăViitorul ConstanțaUndisclosedAcademy[40]
31 January 2019CFJan MlakarMariborUndisclosedAcademy[41]

With the departure of Mac Allister, late-bloomer Jason Steele is the only one of the 18 signings still at the Albion, and what a mixed bag it turned out to be.
And this is what the 'Brighton never get anything wrong with their recruitment' pundits don't see. We have got an awful lot wrong over the last few years. Have we just had a lucky run recently? I hope not, but I can't see how that would be totally out of the question.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair points. But the vast majority of the list did not become first team regulars. I counted 3 on the list.
Three?

I'd say all of Bernardo, Montoya, Burn, Mac Allister and Bissouma became first team regulars for periods of time, whilst Jahanbakhsh was very much a first team squad regular - he racked up 50 appearances in his time here, probably 2/3 from the bench at a guess.

I've also not included Jason Steele in my first team regular list - you could make a case either way. No - he was here for five seasons and only played one league game. Yes - he's played the last 15 consecutive league games.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And this is what the 'Brighton never get anything wrong with their recruitment' pundits don't see. We have got an awful lot wrong over the last few years. Have we just had a lucky run recently? I hope not, but I can't see how that would be totally out of the question.
I wonder if most years would look similar ultimately?

- A lot of kids, many who were loaned out before being sold on cheaply or released.
- A few senior players who featured in and around the first team squad for a year or two.
- A few breakout names who became established first team regulars, although they may have been bought to slot straight in from the off.
- One younger player who develops at an exceptional rate, becomes "the next big thing" and is likely sold on for mega money.

It might be worth doing a thread for each of the two or three seasons that followed 2018/19. If you go too far forward, there will be some incomplete stories, that could still play out in many different directions.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Jack Hinshelwood has been on the clubs books since ...2012. Started as a 7 year old !
I considered him, but you said lineup, so I assumed the 11 that started the game...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I wonder if most years would look similar ultimately?

- A lot of kids, many who were loaned out before being sold on cheaply or released.
- A few senior players who featured in and around the first team squad for a year or two.
- A few breakout names who became established first team regulars, although they may have been bought to slot straight in from the off.
- One younger player who develops at an exceptional rate, becomes "the next big thing" and is likely sold on for mega money.

It might be worth doing a thread for each of the two or three seasons that followed 2018/19. If you go too far forward, there will be some incomplete stories, that could still play out in many different directions.
Yes I think you're probably right. For every Mitouma, there are countless others that didn't make it. Pundits and other fans don't see that, they just see some young kid burst on to the scene from nowhere and wonder how the hell we keep doing this. I'd love to see how much profit / loss we made on all those signings as a total each year. Do we need one to make it to make money, or can we make money (or at least break even) buying and selling like that, without the first teamer that we then sell on for big money 3 years later emerging?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Three?

I'd say all of Bernardo, Montoya, Burn, Mac Allister and Bissouma became first team regulars for periods of time, whilst Jahanbakhsh was very much a first team squad regular - he racked up 50 appearances in his time here, probably 2/3 from the bench at a guess.

I've also not included Jason Steele in my first team regular list - you could make a case either way. No - he was here for five seasons and only played one league game. Yes - he's played the last 15 consecutive league games.
Fair point. I thought @Machiavelli suggested the model at that time was buying players to go into the first team. Burn and Mac didn’t go straight in i.e. only 3 successes. But I misunderstood his post.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair point. I thought @Machiavelli suggested the model at that time was buying players to go into the first team. Burn and Mac didn’t go straight in i.e. only 3 successes. But I misunderstood his post.
I said first-team-ready, as opposed to first-team-regulars. I could have been clearer.
I was saying that first-team-ready was distinct from our more recent signings, of which Mac was the pioneer, whereby they didn't come straight into the first team squad, but went out on loan having been bought. See also (roughly chronologically) Moder, Karbownik, Mitoma, Sima, Undav, Adingra, Enciso, Buonanotte, ... (who's next?)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I said first-team-ready, as opposed to first-team-regulars. I could have been clearer.
I was saying that first-team-ready was distinct from our more recent signings, of which Mac was the pioneer, whereby they didn't come straight into the first team squad, but went out on loan having been bought. See also (roughly chronologically) Moder, Karbownik, Mitoma, Sima, Undav, Adingra, Enciso, Buonanotte, ... (who's next?)
Adingra definitely, Koswlowski (possibly) , Sima likely to be another loan i think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here