[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister: Albion legend?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Alexis Mac Allister an Albion club legend?

• Of course he is!

Votes: 144 52.6%
  • Nah.

Votes: 130 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Football is all about opinions, and there are plenty of wrong ones on this thread.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Legend, would not normally say that after a relativity short time but the man, the footballer, the way he dealt with challenging times and conducted himself, his respect for the club etc makes him a legend in my eyes. Genuinely lovely guy. And a wold cup winner that didnt give it the bigun on his return, most would

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
It's a tough school for a young player to stay with us for 5 years (a relatively long time considering our model), and not be considered a legend for not spending enough time at the club. I guess we wont be seeing any 'new' legends for some time as they'll be gone before hitting this arbitrary threshold.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As our only WC winner he has to go into this category. If it wasn't for that, I'd say NO

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I've changed my vote twice since reading this thread. Currently a no for the time being:moo:
This thread has definitely helped answer it for me too. As much as I'm sad that Ali Mac has gone, he's a great, not a legend. I wouldn't even say Gross is a legend, although I know many would slate me for that. Only legend in the squad currently is Dunky. And RDZ, who has secured ledge status already.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Yes, I think that Alexis will be in Albion legend.
His incredible achievement as Brighton's first world cup winner and the excellent service to the club will be remembered.
I don't think that legendary status is based upon longevity, instead will his name be featured in Albion stories for decades to come, and I believe so.
Future generations will admire to him, showing how you can reach football's greatest prize whilst being at Brighton.
He has elevated this club even further, another step forward, towards great success.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Hope this works - video from early in the year of the legend, the medal and some awe struck young fans.

It's that sort of conduct that contributes to him being club legend. We can all talk about the lack of longevity but how many players bring their world cup winners medal to the club, then gladly take the time to stop outside the ground to let a few star struck kids (and frankly, adults) have pictures with him and the medal?

The man's conduct whilst at this club has been first class.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
On the fence. He has conducted his transfer with dignity. Obviously he wanted a 'bigger' club and Liverpool will pay him well for his services. But he never threw his toys out screaming for a move. Would imagine TB sat him down and they agreed that new contract with a buy out clause, being in the best interest for both him and us. Legend? He is a World Cup Winner and that is instant legend status in him home country. For us, well he was a superb cog in a legendary wheel but not sure a cog gets legend status.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This thread has definitely helped answer it for me too. As much as I'm sad that Ali Mac has gone, he's a great, not a legend. I wouldn't even say Gross is a legend, although I know many would slate me for that. Only legend in the squad currently is Dunky. And RDZ, who has secured ledge status already.
RDZ over Gross?

Christ on a ruddy bike.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would suggest that this seasons squad is legendary for being the first to qualify for europe, to do so deservedly, to do so with a style that earned praise from so many in the game, even if individual members are not. He will always be looked at with fondness and respect for tremendous achievement as a member of the legendary squad that first earned us European football (and for me, that holds true for all the members of this squad).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lawrenson’s an odd one. When here he was sublime, especially as a centre back, his marauding runs WERE the stuff of legend.

However after he left he pretty well airbrushed us from his past, in the eyes of many of us. His love was for Preston and Liverpool and he made no bones about it. I think we (well me certainly) got a little precious about it but recently, as we are on the up again, he happily links himself to us when asked :lolol:

As said before until a season or so ago he was recognised by us old timers as probably our best ever Albion player (seen in the flesh)

Alexis, so far in thoughts towards the Albion, seems the complete opposite. Let’s wait and see what his thoughts on his past are when he’s won a few League titles and a couple of CLs :wink:
Yes, agreed. Probably like you (and others) I have no hesitation in saying that, up to this current era, Lawrenson was overall THE best player I ever saw at the Albion. But I can never really call him a legend, partly because when he was here he always seemed a bit aloof, and partly because after he left he always has been a bit dismissive of us. Certainly, unlike Ali Mac, he left without a backward glance.

It's obviously a subjective and nebulous 'thing' to work out who gets legend status and who doesn't. FWIW I rate Mac Allister much nearer it than Lawrenson and I completely understand those who say he (Mac) is one. Certainly I couldn't bring myself to vote 'Nah'.

EDIT: And I would say length of service is only part of the criteria.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't think so. You can't be a legend unless you stay a LONG time (at least ten years) or you are so much better than everyone else during your time here. Or you break the goalscoring record or something.

Great player, one of our best ever. But if you're not even the best player at the club and only stay for 3.5 seasons, then you can't be considered a legend.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Club Legend is a step too far I think. An amazing player, and of course a World Cup Winner, he will go down as one of the best to [play for us, but a legend? This season he has been lauded, rightly so, as a very good player, but had he put in the exact same performances without the World Cup medal, would we be seeing the same plaudits from elsewhere ? His previous seasons with us have been good, and he has been fantastic since the WC, but is 2 1/2 solid seasons and 1/2 a fantastic one enough to eleveate from one of the best to Legend?

As Boza says, the term Legend is thrown around to often, lets see how we think of him in a seasons time, or 3 or 4. Will we feel the same as we do about Zamorra, Ward, Dunk,? He will be fondly remembered and will get a great ovation when he comes back with Liverpool, but I dont think in a few years time he will still be mentioned in the same way as those other players . He may well go from strength to strength at Anfield, and become one of the best in the world, but it will be in a red shirt that will happen, it didnt happen a blue and white one.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Makes me laugh all this legend stuff. Objectively a number of players involved in the last 6 seasons will go down as legends much the same way as older supporters would list Ward, Horton, Foster as legends.
The idea that someone who won the World Cup (and was just a great player and a lovely guy) won't in 30, 40 years be regarded as a legend is ludicrous. Imagine a teenager now, and how they'd look back, misty eyed, as they watched an Albion play dominate the final of a World Cup and lift the trophy.
Same with Dunk and Gross, for different reasons. Same probably for Enciso given those two goals. There's a huge amount of metrics to measure a legendary player but I guarantee you there will be players in the current squad (and recent departees) that thousands of supporters will talk about for years and years to come.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think people overly complicate the use of the term legend to describe players.

Legend by definition is something that is spoken of and passed down through generations.

If MacAllister and his achievements are still spoken about for generations to come then he is a legend.

Which midfielders will 10 year olds hear about from their grandparents in 30 years time? Gary Gardner? Steve Thomson? Denny Mundee?

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I voted no. I get what people are saying about legendary status not necessarily being reliant on longevity and that it can be about big moments or achievements (eg. winning a World Cup).

However, are we not currently raising the bar quite significantly for the heights our players can hit by virtue of being the sixth best team in the country? It could be that when our current period of success comes to an end, Macca’s status regards what he did an Albion shirt doesn’t stand out so much? Obviously appreciate that’s a bit of a hypothetical, but think it’s worth some consideration.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't think so. You can't be a legend unless you stay a LONG time (at least ten years) or you are so much better than everyone else during your time here. Or you break the goalscoring record or something.

Great player, one of our best ever. But if you're not even the best player at the club and only stay for 3.5 seasons, then you can't be considered a legend.
Not sure I agree.

Robbie Reinelt must be a legend, and he only played 44 games for the Albion.

Hans Kraay only appeared 23 times.

In my eyes, both are legends. Not greats - far from it. But definitely legends for very different reasons.

I don't think legend and great are on the same continuum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports