Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond - History?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Unless I'm missing something crucial, despite the No vote Salmond is the real winner here. The Yes lot didn't even expect it, in their immense arrogance, to be close

A marginal no means devo max, which is actually probably better than independence and may well act as a further stepping stone to it.

He may have lost the battle here but he's winning the war.

I don't think Devo Max is part of the deal but the irony of the result is that Salmond will be much better off following the No vote. He'll be getting more powers and he won't have to face the consequences when the Yes voters found out that he couldn't deliver anything that he promised.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
While I'm glad it's a 'no' vote, he does have a point. The demographics are pretty clear: the older Scottish voters said no to independence, but the younger ones overwhelming voted yes.

This side of the border, we see a similar breakdown in UKIP voting - the young are overwhelmingly pro-EU, while the over-65s are against.

So, for the same reasons that UKIP will disappear in the next decade, I can see independence for Scotland being back on the agenda within 20 years

That's a pretty fair summary.

Although responding to the initial question I would hope that the gloating toad is consigned to history sooner rather than later I suspect his only loyalty (and genuine concern) is for himself and he will hang on bleeding the British (predominantly English) taxpayer for a livelihood for years to come.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’m all for devolving more powers to Scotland. It’s a positive idea in terms of the Scots having much more say in policy and management of their wonderful country. The other huge positive from all of this, is the SNP will have less and less room for reeling out the olde it’s ‘Westminster to blame’ tired excuse. More powers locally/nationally means the SNP as elected representatives will need to get it right, or they’ll be out. I suspect in time, it’ll be the latter. I for one will take great pleasure in that outcome. This process has served Mr Salmond very well, it's also served to rear the ugly head of bigoted nonsensical insular hatred. Them and us, us and them... sigh.

Kosh

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think Devo Max is part of the deal but the irony of the result is that Salmond will be much better off following the No vote. He'll be getting more powers and he won't have to face the consequences when the Yes voters found out that he couldn't deliver anything that he promised.

Precisely. I'm sure he's hurting but it really isn't the end of the world for his cause.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Edinburgh has just about the highest proportion of young people of all the regions, and also had one of the highest 'no' percentages..........

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
There's nothing set in stone but I imagine it will be some time. When the pressure builds for one, I suppose
A generation is generally thought to be approx 25 years, you can be sure it wont happen before then. Of course by then there will be even less oil and gas in the north sea, effectively scuppering the core foundation of a Scottish Independence economic justification.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hate the English, love the Barnett Formula!

Attachments

• cryingscot.jpeg
    cryingscot.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 130

Aug 23, 2011
Unless I'm missing something crucial, despite the No vote Salmond is the real winner here. The Yes lot didn't even expect it, in their immense arrogance, to be close

A marginal no means devo max, which is actually probably better than independence and may well act as a further stepping stone to it.

He may have lost the battle here but he's winning the war.

I think that is exactly what he wanted anyway, i don't think he wanted to win per se as this way he can twist it to his advantage

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Alex Salmond resigning as Leader of the Scottish Parliament would be the best thing that could happen to David Cameron and the worst thing that could happen to Scotland right now.

Salmond forced Cameron and the other Westminster leaders into a staggering U-turn on devo max, and he is EXACTLY the man to ensure the UK PM delivers what they promised. He will remain a thorn in the side for the UK until those powers have been granted, at which point he can retire a contented man.

Salmond fought a good campaign and his leadership skills are excellent, he's earned respect from Westminster. Sturgeon, by comparison, will just come across as an annoying boot-faced, whining, whingeing Scot and the moment will be lost.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Alex Salmond resigning as Leader of the Scottish Parliament would be the best thing that could happen to David Cameron and the worst thing that could happen to Scotland right now.

Salmond forced Cameron and the other Westminster leaders into a staggering U-turn on devo max, and he is EXACTLY the man to ensure the UK PM delivers what they promised. He will remain a thorn in the side for the UK until those powers have been granted, at which point he can retire a contented man.

Salmond fought a good campaign and his leadership skills are excellent, he's earned respect from Westminster. Sturgeon, by comparison, will just come across as an annoying boot-faced, whining, whingeing Scot and the moment will be lost.

He's resigned, believe he said previously that he would hand over the reigns to Sturgeon even if they had won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here