Alex Pritchard

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
They might be if Norwich are simply posturing after the McCormack bid failure and Brighton turn their attention elsewhere.

Hypothetically, if Norwich got a sniff of a deal for a quality striker they might spend their money elsewhere and immediately drop their interest in Pritchard.

However, Norwich is the sort of club that will sign Spurs' cast-offs and be loaned Spurs youth players so I'm sure Levy would like to preserve a working relationship with that club, whereas the Albion are something of an irrelevance in that regard as we'd struggle to muster a bid / wages package for any of the Spurs squad players.

I only see this problem getting worse the more money that pours into the Prem and the wider the gap with the rest of the Championship.

a cursory glance at the championship and I see only 7 teams that have never been in the Premiership. Not sure how long the parachute payments last for 3 years? I think Newcastle got 90 million for being relegated... and as you say we will not be able to compete financially with these clubs however impressive our facilities are. Sad times. Those 2 goals against last season could live to haunt us for a very long time.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So now Norwich have Hoolahan, Naismith, Maddison and now Pritchard vying for similar positions.

Did they really need him , like really !!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This is why we look abroad and the lower leagues most of the time, and try to keep things quiet.

It's harder for colossal pricks like norwich to scupper deals.

Still, if this guy's head was turned so easily at the thought of a few more quid (if we are to believe he had already agreed terms with us) then perhaps it's for the best.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Norwich, wages, parachute payments. That's all you need to know.

Indeed. And it will only get worse next year with the new TV deal when PL clubs will get 100 million just for existing. If say Bournemouth, Palace and Burnley get relegated next (this) season their financial clout means they'll be able to piss all over little* Championship clubs when it comes to the wages they can offer.

*For 'little' you can substitute 'all'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So he's starting a new life at Norwich. Good for him. Break a leg son.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Where has this Oliver Norwood rumour come from?

Would be delighted with him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
a cursory glance at the championship and I see only 7 teams that have never been in the Premiership. Not sure how long the parachute payments last for 3 years? I think Newcastle got 90 million for being relegated... and as you say we will not be able to compete financially with these clubs however impressive our facilities are. Sad times. Those 2 goals against last season could live to haunt us for a very long time.

Newcastle are spunking cash like Peter North on payday, Villa burn £12 mill on McCormack, Norwich hoover up Pritchard and add him to their Sheikh Mansoor-sized stable of midfielders that already includes Naismith, Hoolahan, Brady, Tettey, Mulumbu, Howson, Dorrans and Matt Jarvis.

The season's over before it's begun Marshy! :(

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is why we look abroad and the lower leagues most of the time, and try to keep things quiet.

It's harder for colossal pricks like norwich to scupper deals.

Still, if this guy's head was turned so easily at the thought of a few more quid (if we are to believe he had already agreed terms with us) then perhaps it's for the best.

To be fair , he is technically a "proven" championship player.

We can probably beat half the sides to a signature based on our pull but we are 90% of the time going to lose out to the bigger clubs. We still need to be in for them. Sounds like we got close although the cynic in me says Pritchard had no intention of coming here.

Was a brilliant thought while it lasted.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If we do turn out to be signing Norwood, then all the fears about Stephens' future are back out there....

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Does he know about the training ground?? Has anyone told him? Quick, show him a picture of the training ground for God's sake

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Newcastle are spunking cash like Peter North on payday, Villa burn £12 mill on McCormack, Norwich hoover up Pritchard and add him to their Sheikh Mansoor-sized stable of midfielders that already includes Naismith, Hoolahan, Brady, Tettey, Mulumbu, Howson, Dorrans and Matt Jarvis.

Reading that is utterly depressing. I can't help but feel last season was our best chance ever of getting promoted, pessimistic outlook I know but the best I can see this season is managing to get lucky in the play-offs. I hope the team completely surprise me as they did last season but I'm not convinced they will.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
To be fair , he is technically a "proven" championship player.

We can probably beat half the sides to a signature based on our pull but we are 90% of the time going to lose out to the bigger clubs. We still need to be in for them. Sounds like we got close although the cynic in me says Pritchard had no intention of coming here.

Was a brilliant thought while it lasted.

We didn't 'lose out to bigger clubs' we lost out to parachute payments.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Those 2 goals against last season could live to haunt us for a very long time.

Indeed..... I think last season was it.. the money has ramped up so much that I fear we will not seriously challenge again for a long long time...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

It proves that there is an unfair advantage, parachute payments were voted in by Premiership teams frightened they might have to play their way out of the championship on a level playing field instead of buying themselves out of it....

You know wot....

Feck em, and double feck em all....

I would love it, really love it......

Never mind, we know how it goes and ends....

Play offs at best again.

It just seems so unfair, and biased towards money, just like real life I guess and that sucks aswell....

I am depressed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports