Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Loving this series, have recorded that episode.
Does the award winning hotel behemoth heiress still get ignored by the clueless brink of bankruptcy amateurs who ask for help only to then say they know better?!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does the award winning hotel behemoth heiress still get ignored by the clueless brink of bankruptcy amateurs who ask for help only to then say they know better?!!

Normally by a stubborn 65 year old husband, determined to go bankrupt :wanker: .

This season, so far, seems to have sensible people who actually listen and act.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes watching this now.
I worked at this hotel about 18 years ago, I feel sorry for the plumbers working there.
Did you shit in your hat, punch it, and flush it? ???

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
My connection to the Star is an odd one, and it will always remain in my heart and memories...

I was 19, my friend's next door neighbour was a 25 year old, married, very pretty and very petite blonde - and she tagged along one night up the pier (Roxy) in Eastbourne. We got talking, she got flirty, that was that.

Next morning I get a phone call (she'd begged him for my number) from her saying she's actually divorcing her husband and can we meet so she can explain all.

We decided to meet at the Star in Alfriston as it was miles from her house (Normans Bay) and was quiet. I made it quite clear she was married, so I wasn't interested - but I'd go along.

We sat in a quiet corner, away from everyone, then after about an hour of deep conversation an old lady walked over to us and said "May I just say what an absolutely beautiful couple you make! You look so perfect together.."

6 Months later we were living with each other and madly in love. 4 years after that I left her as she was deranged.

Moral of the story - Don't listen to relationship advice from random people in the Star at Alfriston. Just enjoy your pint. ???:drink:

:needpics:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My connection to the Star is an odd one, and it will always remain in my heart and memories...

I was 19, my friend's next door neighbour was a 25 year old, married, very pretty and very petite blonde - and she tagged along one night up the pier (Roxy) in Eastbourne. We got talking, she got flirty, that was that.

Next morning I get a phone call (she'd begged him for my number) from her saying she's actually divorcing her husband and can we meet so she can explain all.

We decided to meet at the Star in Alfriston as it was miles from her house (Normans Bay) and was quiet. I made it quite clear she was married, so I wasn't interested - but I'd go along.

We sat in a quiet corner, away from everyone, then after about an hour of deep conversation an old lady walked over to us and said "May I just say what an absolutely beautiful couple you make! You look so perfect together.."

6 Months later we were living with each other and madly in love. 4 years after that I left her as she was deranged.

Moral of the story - Don't listen to relationship advice from random people in the Star at Alfriston. Just enjoy your pint. ???:drink:
As stories go - I hate to be blunt, but that was shit.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Love this series, also The Hotel Inspector, Alex Polizzi is great.

Would love a stay at their hotel on the fringe of Dartmoor, the Endsleigh.
We had a long weekend there a couple of years ago. The gardens were utterly stunning (Repton), the rooms lovely, and the food excellent - particularly the breakfast. I can give you a great recommendation for an evening meal if you want variety that's about a 45 minute drive away, should you decide to go.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We had a long weekend there a couple of years ago. The gardens were utterly stunning (Repton), the rooms lovely, and the food excellent - particularly the breakfast. I can give you a great recommendation for an evening meal if you want variety that's about a 45 minute drive away, should you decide to go.

Thanks, it’ll be a while yet.

I love that style of interiors, and gardens are my thing.

Digressing, have you dined at Gravetye Manor?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks, it’ll be a while yet.

I love that style of interiors, and gardens are my thing.

Digressing, have you dined at Gravetye Manor?
Yes, a few times, but the last time was several years ago now - I wouldn't be comfortable giving a current review.

However, an anecdote. Decades ago, I ran Rentokil's M&A department. The then CEO took his senior team out for dinner at Gravetye. He wanted Chateaubriand, which, as usual, was for two people. It was clear that no one else was up for it, so I said I'd share it with him.

Over comes the waiter...

CEO: "He and I will share the Chateaubriand please"
Waiter: "Excellent choice, sirs - and how would you like it cooked?"
CEO: "Well done"
Waiter and I involuntarily wince
Waiter: "No"
CEO: "Huh?"
Waiter: "No. The chef won't cook it like that"
CEO starts to get agitated
Me to waiter: "then as well done as the chef will cook it please"
Waiter: "Medium rare. Excellent, sirs" and walks off to place the order.

It was an excellent Chateaubriand.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Her Hotel series is a decent watch but as far as Alfriston Hotel concerned no big deal. Just another Hotel purchased by her wealthy family. She is able to market it well so sure it will have a good start. Can certainly stay in a couple of other decent hotels there a lot cheaper

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, a few times, but the last time was several years ago now - I wouldn't be comfortable giving a current review.

However, an anecdote. Decades ago, I ran Rentokil's M&A department. The then CEO took his senior team out for dinner at Gravetye. He wanted Chateaubriand, which, as usual, was for two people. It was clear that no one else was up for it, so I said I'd share it with him.

Over comes the waiter...

I remember the Mr 20% Clive Thompson era.

We’d probably do a lunch, highly recommended and yes of a hit to the flexible enemy.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I remember the Mr 20% Clive Thompson era.

We’d probably do a lunch, highly recommended and yes of a hit to the flexible enemy.
Notwithstanding his lamentable subsequent demise, Clive Thompson was one of the most impressive CEOs I’ve worked for.

Each divisional head had to do a quarterly review of financial performance in front of Clive. The first slide was the the same for each division. A stupidly detailed, extremely busy mess of about 200 numbers/stats.

Every time, the GM would start his presentation. Every time, Clive would say “No wait. Give me a minute”. He’d then stare at the slide. A minute later he’d ask the GM the single most pertinent, single most insightful question based on the data. The GM’s head would sink, he’d sigh and say “ah, yes, well…”.

I saw him do it to every GM of every division in every quarter for 4 years. He was remarkable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Notwithstanding his lamentable subsequent demise, Clive Thompson was one of the most impressive CEOs I’ve worked for.

Each divisional head had to do a quarterly review of financial performance in front of Clive. The first slide was the the same for each division. A stupidly detailed, extremely busy mess of about 200 numbers/stats.

Every time, the GM would start his presentation. Every time, Clive would say “No wait. Give me a minute”. He’d then stare at the slide. A minute later he’d ask the GM the single most pertinent, single most insightful question based on the data. The GM’s head would sink, he’d sigh and say “ah, yes, well…”.

I saw him do it to every GM of every division in every quarter for 4 years. He was remarkable.

Innate talent. No flannel.

Leadership the water companies could do with.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Over comes the waiter...

I thought it was a wine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports