Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aldi-v-The Big Four.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
I have purchased some stuff that tastes vile tbh. Some nice surprises as well though. I don't have time or location to do what you do.

I can't see how people can do a weekly shop in those stores. It's very limited in my opinion.

Lidl and Aldi philosophy is shop their for essentials elsewhere for extras.I shop their then use Marks or Waitrose and independent butchers and greengrocers, you can save money once you understand their product range.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The only shop I avoid is M&S, can't stand what they do to food and it's all essentially microwave ready meals in fancy boxes with slightly nicer ingredients. That and sugar loaded sweets, biscuits and cheesecake. I do like there mini poppadums though. Hmmm, I really fancy a bag of those now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lidl and Aldi philosophy is shop their for essentials elsewhere for extras.I shop their then use Marks or Waitrose and independent butchers and greengrocers, you can save money once you understand their product range.

I buy pretty much everything in Waitrose. Happy to be called a snob (because I am) but I'd honestly rather pay a little more, than fight my way through all the chavs in our local Tescos and Asda.

Truth be told, on a lot of staples its not even more expensive.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Aldi for me rather than Lidl. Before that I was a Tesco customer as it was the nearest to me. I find that where as Tesco will offer say six varieties of beans Aldi have one (not tried them yet) My buys and don't buys-
Buys - Wheatabix equiv. Shredded Wheat equiv. Rioja at under £6. White wine for wife at under £3. Indian meals for two at £3 when available (but buy two).
Don't buys - I'm not in to their meat or jacket potatoes despite the prices.
And for anyone who says that Heinz is the only ketchup then be amazed at the Aldi equiv. I'm hooked and thought I'd never change.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I buy pretty much everything in Waitrose. Happy to be called a snob (because I am) but I'd honestly rather pay a little more, than fight my way through all the chavs in our local Tescos and Asda.

Truth be told, on a lot of staples its not even more expensive.

To be fair, if i lived in a chavvy area, i would probably shop at Waitrose to avoid them :p

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be fair, if i lived in a chavvy area, i would probably shop at Waitrose to avoid them :p

I don't - the only supermarkets anywhere near us in Chandlers Ford are Waitrose, and a small Co-op. Tescos and Asda (and Sainsbury) are in Eastleigh - but our closest branches if we wanted to subject ourselves to them :thumbsup:

Also, I get my free latte in Waitrose every day - that's over £500 worth of coffee. I'd have to buy an absolute shitload of tins of Asda beans, at 3p each less, to make up for that!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Aldi for me rather than Lidl. Before that I was a Tesco customer as it was the nearest to me. I find that where as Tesco will offer say six varieties of beans Aldi have one (not tried them yet) My buys and don't buys-
Buys - Wheatabix equiv. Shredded Wheat equiv. Rioja at under £6. White wine for wife at under £3. Indian meals for two at £3 when available (but buy two).
Don't buys - I'm not in to their meat or jacket potatoes despite the prices.
And for anyone who says that Heinz is the only ketchup then be amazed at the Aldi equiv. I'm hooked and thought I'd never change.

Good post, too much vagueness on here, what is needed is specifics
Agree with the Rioja Reserva and the Shreddies and would add to the solid standard stuff some of their 'specially selected' stuff that is £2 cheaper than Tesco Finest AND better Stilton, Streaky Bacon, Salami & BUFFALO mozzarella and cows mozzarella frozen pizza £2 top drawer, 28 day aged ribeye and fillet steak, NZ sauv blanc & Pinot noir, sparkling Chardonnay as good as Champagne, tapas bites x3, luxury muesli NO DUST and avocados that you can actually eat the same day without the incompetent gits trying to be clever and shamefully marking up 'ripen at home' because they are too thick to organise getting on the shelves when actually ripe

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also, I get my free latte in Waitrose every day - that's over £500 worth of coffee. I'd have to buy an absolute shitload of tins of Asda beans, at 3p each less, to make up for that!

You'd get the free coffee even if you didn't do your shopping in there - you just need a card which anyone can get.

We shop at Tesco for the Clubcard points and vouchers which we always convert into Virgin Atlantic miles, but only when there is a promotion that offers an enhanced conversion rate. We seem to save a good £3000 - £4000 on upgraded flights each time we fly with Virgin so I can't see us changing any time soon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You'd get the free coffee even if you didn't do your shopping in there - you just need a card which anyone can get.

We shop at Tesco for the Clubcard points and vouchers which we always convert into Virgin Atlantic miles, but only when there is a promotion that offers an enhanced conversion rate. We seem to save a good £3000 - £4000 on upgraded flights each time we fly with Virgin so I can't see us changing any time soon.

That's an excellent incentive to suit your personal circumstances. I rarely fly anywhere (for pleasure) but need a nice coffee every morning!

(Though as you rightly state - I don't have to shop there, to get the coffee. In fact most mornings I don't - pop in sit and enjoy an almond croissant and a free coffee, then on to work)

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Agreed. "Mamia" they're called, and they're ****ing quality.

Aldi own brand nappies are around 50% price of pampers, and don't leak (compared to Sainsburys own brand which have nearly always leaked on the occasions we have needed to purchase them.)
Agreed. No idea about the food, but they've earnt a lot of goodwill from me with their top notch nappies!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This comment rather explains your " Brilliant stuff from David Cameron today " thread doesn't it ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This comment rather explains your " Brilliant stuff from David Cameron today " thread doesn't it ?

Not at all.

1. I've not voted Conservative for a long, long time.
2. The Cameron speech was clearly going to be a topic of discussion yesterday and as no-one else had started it, I did, if somewhat mischieviously.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
LIDL fresh vegetables are the best available in a supermarket, so a top chef told me. Better than Waitrose, Sainsbury and far better than Tesco Asda and Morrisons. The big draw back with LIDL in Burgess Hill is the queue to get through the checkout.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not at all.

1. I've not voted Conservative for a long, long time.
2. The Cameron speech was clearly going to be a topic of discussion yesterday and as no-one else had started it, I did, if somewhat mischieviously.

OK Bozza, I just hope that once in a while, I get an upgrade to a decent seat rather my usual position manacled on the rowing deck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here