Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aldi and Lidl

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd rather pay more for the hygiene factor though with wrapped produce! I simply do not trust people the amount of times I see them not washing their hands/dropping things and putting them back etc, when I eat stuff from markets and greengrocers I can almost taste the faeces and snot.

Hmm, have you tried washing the produce before you eat it? Personally a bit of dirt doesn't vex me. I'd rather eat a bit of grit or muck than the micro wax coating they put on 80% of fruit brought in supermarkets. I eat the berries off my fruit bushes straight off the bush, could be covered in anything, I've munched spiders and caterpillars by mistake before when they've been chilling out on a raspberry, glug of water and on you go.

I grow most of my own fresh fruit and veg on my allotment anyway. This year we've got Butternut squash, leeks, spuds, 3 types of beans, corn, onions, beetroot, courgette, cabbage and loads of berries. Find I don't need to buy much unless I want a change or something in for a special meal. You can usually do some trading down on the allotment too, I just swapped a bag of runners for a huge bag of rhubarb. Happy days.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Six (half litre) bottles of Bitburger Pils for €2.19 in Aldi (Saarburg).....what's not to like!

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Hmm, have you tried washing the produce before you eat it? Personally a bit of dirt doesn't vex me. I'd rather eat a bit of grit or muck than the micro wax coating they put on 80% of fruit brought in supermarkets. I eat the berries off my fruit bushes straight off the bush, could be covered in anything, I've munched spiders and caterpillars by mistake before when they've been chilling out on a raspberry, glug of water and on you go.

I grow most of my own fresh fruit and veg on my allotment anyway. This year we've got Butternut squash, leeks, spuds, 3 types of beans, corn, onions, beetroot, courgette, cabbage and loads of berries. Find I don't need to buy much unless I want a change or something in for a special meal. You can usually do some trading down on the allotment too, I just swapped a bag of runners for a huge bag of rhubarb. Happy days.

Fair enough Nibbler, I'm just a bit of a hygiene freak :lolol: For what it's worth I did look up the Falmer farm shop the other day, was no cheaper than the supermarket big boys and my strawberries were mouldy :( But I did enjoy the duck eggs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Fair enough Nibbler, I'm just a bit of a hygiene freak :lolol: For what it's worth I did look up the Falmer farm shop the other day, was no cheaper than the supermarket big boys and my strawberries were mouldy :( But I did enjoy the duck eggs.

Ah a duck egg is a wonderful thing. I certainly don't recommend caterpillar either :- O. I am moving to my field in Cornwall next March and a farmer friend already has a breeding pair of ducks earmarked for me. To be fair, I used to buy all my fruit and veg at supermarkets or markets but will be living off the land and pretty much only eating what I can grow or raise so spent the last two years learning how to do that. I find it rewarding but I'm a self employed, single man with no kids so I have the time, not everyone does.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I find the Co-op cheaper than Sainsbury's overall. Cracking own brand pizzas. Not such a good beer/wine selection tho. Have to hike it up the hill midweek to Saino's for the £2.50 big bottles of Punk IPA that are always cleared from the shelves of a weekend.

Fair do's my only experience of Co-op are seven dials and that hideous, pokey little hole up in Kemptown. That shop is soooo small it's laughable!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair do's my only experience of Co-op are seven dials and that hideous, pokey little hole up in Kemptown. That shop is soooo small it's laughable!

Can't be any smaller than the Fiveways one. Two customers trying to pass each other in the aisles invariably have to be freed by the emergency services.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can't be any smaller than the Fiveways one. Two customers trying to pass each other in the aisles invariably have to be freed by the emergency services.

Ah yes, I know that one too. No, seriously, the kemptown one is absolutely tiny. They actually have to shop the shut in the middle of the day sometimes to restock, but when they bring the stock trolley out you can't get any customers in so it has to shut!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have tried Aldi in Portslade. Produce is cheap and good. No variety on other goods. Difficult finding a parking space and getting in and out because of traffic. Most of the staff are East European ,not that it matters.they are polite and helpful.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Aldi:

Pepper Salami, Danish Blue cheese, Caster Sugar, fresh vegetables, all on price and quality.

Special offers, non-food stuff is not poor quality (e.g. Wilkinsons) and often have useful products that I cannot get in England easily. I'd be a bit careful though.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Ha ha! Don't be a Liddite. Don your hats/sunglasses if you need to and join us Lidl class!

Aldi/Lidl are giving the big 4 the biggest kick up the backside they have ever had. And I'm loving it (not to mention the massive savings in our weekly grocery bills but with no drop in standard of product).

Tragic that the Germans have had to show us how to do it but there we are!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Anyone used the Lidl in Worthing?
Certainly have and it's pretty good and the only place in town that I know of where i can get a frozen flamme keuche :thumbsup: Only ever been to one Aldi and that was in Newquay and was a hellhole (that may have been more to do with the town though :) ).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We tend to shop all over the place, picking things up from asda, sainsbury's, aldi's, London road market.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Germans do it better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aldi and Lidl or crap.

I wish everyone would stop using them, the queues are getting longer by the week.

Like too many short-sighted places (Brighton Racecourse springs immediately to mind here) it seems they'd rather lose out on a huge volume of potential sales than invest in a couple more minimum wage serving staff.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
When Surrey Jim Jnr is in disposable nappies (as opposed to reuseable) we always go for Aldi brand.

Half the price of Pampers and much better quality than Sainsburys/Asda own brand (cant comment on Tesco). We have started much more of our shopping within Aldi and Lidl, can see the saving but dont appear to be loosing quality.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Aldi are fine for fresh meat and fish. I always get their chicken breasts, Rump Steaks and Salmon for a huge saving, compared to the more established supermarket chains. I do stay well clear of their cheaper unbranded processed food though. I'm diabetic so I have to be a pit picky. Also I find their fresh fruit and veg isn't such good quality and the shelf life seems shorter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here