Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alcohol is far more dangerous than ecstasy

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article1207619.ece

This is the first ranking based upon scientific evidence of harm to both individuals and society. It was devised by government advisers - then ignored by ministers because of its controversial findings

1. Heroin
2. Cocaine
3. Barbiturates
4. Street Methadone
5. Alcohol
6. Ketamine
7. Benzodiazipines
8. Amphetamines
9. Tobacco
10. Buprenorphine
11. Cannabis
12. Solvents
13. 4-MTA
14. LSD
15. Methylphenidate
16. Anabolic Steroids
17. GHB
18. Ecstasy
19. Alkyl Nitrates
20. Khat

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
5: Alcohol (Legal)
STREET VALUE: £2.25 pint of lager

:lolol: Which f***ing street is that then?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Dougal said:
only 800,000 Coke users . . .no way , I know more people that do than dont these days
Same here.

That is a very misleading list, whoever made it has obviously never taken any of those drugs. I can see where they're coming from, but the only reason that alcohol is so high up is because people don't respect it's powers, and therefore it has damaged society. All drugs are safe if you respect them and don't abuse them. By the same token they will all f*** you up if you take too many, some worse than others, and definately not in that order.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Billy the Fish said:
Same here.

That is a very misleading list, whoever made it has obviously never taken any of those drugs. I can see where they're coming from, but the only reason that alcohol is so high up is because people don't respect it's powers, and therefore it has damaged society. All drugs are safe if you respect them and don't abuse them. By the same token they will all f*** you up if you take too many, some worse than others, and definately not in that order.

The analysis was carried out by David Nutt, a senior member of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, and Colin Blakemore, the chief executive of the Medical Research Council.

I'd be pretty certain they know what they are talking about.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
this is all common sense. alcohol abuse kills thousands a year in the uk but an easily taxable drug. ecstasy however is much safer in comparisson and as for mdma (pure ecstasy) i have never once heard of a related death or a bad trip. it's purely scare tactics and the ability for government to extract as much tax as possible. has noone here seen the film human traffic?!
:smokin:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Benny Seagull said:
this is all common sense. alcohol abuse kills thousands a year in the uk but an easily taxable drug. ecstasy however is much safer in comparisson and as for mdma (pure ecstasy) i have never once heard of a related death or a bad trip. it's purely scare tactics and the ability for government to extract as much tax as possible. has noone here seen the film human traffic?!
:smokin:

I no someone who had a bad trip MDMA. ended up in hospital.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Les Biehn said:
I no someone who had a bad trip MDMA. ended up in hospital.

Probably wasn't MDMA he was sold then.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Dougal said:
only 800,000 Coke users . . .no way , I know more people that do than dont these days

40% of the poluation are over 65 or under 16, that leaves about 36 million.

That makes 800,000 about 2.2% or 1 in 45 of the adult population.

I'd say that sounds about right to me.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Titanic said:
40% of the poluation are over 65 or under 16, that leaves about 36 million.

That makes 800,000 about 2.2% or 1 in 45 of the adult population.

I'd say that sounds about right to me.

I'd say much more than 1 in 45. Depends what they mean by 'user'. If they mean a regular user then I don't know, but people who have used I reckon more like 1 in 10 at least.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Commander said:
Please accept my apologies.

No problems you sexist pig. Its the 21st C, girls are allowed to do drugs to now ya know!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Les Biehn said:
No problems you sexist pig. Its the 21st C, girls are allowed to do drugs to now ya know!

Yes but usually when they are plied with them by gentlemen!

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Also from the same article: "More than a third of people claim to have taken illegal drugs during their lifetime, and 10 per cent say they have done so in the last year."

A quick scan of the report...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/31_07_06_drugsreport.pdf

would suggest that people were asked about the last month, the last year or in their lifetime... so I'm guessing 'users' mean in the last month.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
another few intersting factoids:

Factors identified as being associated with Class A drug use include earning less than £5,000 and earning more than £30,000. There was found to be no difference between Class A use on council estates and non council estate areas.

People who were educated to A Level (but not degree) reported the highest levels of general drug use.

And the top factor associated with drug use? Simply being a young, single, man who goes to the pub three times a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here