Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know I would say this, but MY WORD this new Bowie album is good. Love his NYC jazz backing band and that partly makes it for me. James Murphy was involved on a few bits as well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Everyone wants that. It's almost too crazy for me though.

I like the homemade sounding percussion, it reminds me of Feels and Sung Tongs (my faves) but I hesitantly agree with you. I've given it a number of listens now as well.

This could be a repeat of what happened with the Panda Bear album last year, which then ended up being one of my favourites.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I know I would say this, but MY WORD this new Bowie album is good. Love his NYC jazz backing band and that partly makes it for me. James Murphy was involved on a few bits as well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Do we all remember when everyone pretended to like the last Bowie album because they were glad he was back but it was actually pretty boring?

Yeah, not that. This one is much more like it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Do we all remember when everyone pretended to like the last Bowie album because they were glad he was back but it was actually pretty boring?

Yeah, not that. This one is much more like it.

And the ones before the last one which were actually shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi music geeks :wave:

This jingle jangle snoppy doggy dog stuff isn't really my thing.
I can't think of the last gramophone record I bought but it was probably from Woolworths.

Anyhoo Dan Deacon he of the album Gliss Riffer, has popped into my very small non music orbit.

I'm curious to know if NSC is aware of his music and any opinions.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Listened to Black Star for the first time tonight and it didn't grab me on just one listen. I'm not a great jazz fan which probably didn't help. I also find it difficult with any artist that has been around for sometime, in that their earlier stuff is very familiar due to having listened to earlier albums very often over the years, that a new album really needs to be outstanding rather than good to stand a change what would be viewed as classic albums.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If you don't like jingle jangle plinky plonk electronic music then you won't like Dan Deacon. Personally I'm a big fan but amongst him, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Atlas Sound etc I can get burnt out on it.

I got Gliss Riffer when it came out, didn't like it persisted and came to love it, listened to it pretty much exclusively for a month.

Dan Deacon live is extremely fun, lots of audience participation and arm and leg flailing. I've never been sweatier then at one of his gigs.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Hi music geeks :wave:

This jingle jangle snoppy doggy dog stuff isn't really my thing.
I can't think of the last gramophone record I bought but it was probably from Woolworths.

Anyhoo Dan Deacon he of the album Gliss Riffer, has popped into my very small non music orbit.

I'm curious to know if NSC is aware of his music and any opinions.

Dan Deacon is ome of the best acts to see live on the whole planet. Thought his schtick would. E getting boring by now but his Haunt show last year was one of the best gigs I've been to in Brighton.

Not quite such a big fan on record as I think his albums tend to have a fair bit of filler. Always a few belters though - listened to Feel the Lightening ad nauseum last summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you don't like jingle jangle plinky plonk electronic music then you won't like Dan Deacon. Personally I'm a big fan but amongst him, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Atlas Sound etc I can get burnt out on it.

I got Gliss Riffer when it came out, didn't like it persisted and came to love it, listened to it pretty much exclusively for a month.

Dan Deacon live is extremely fun, lots of audience participation and arm and leg flailing. I've never been sweatier then at one of his gigs.

Dan Deacon is ome of the best acts to see live on the whole planet. Thought his schtick would. E getting boring by now but his Haunt show last year was one of the best gigs I've been to in Brighton.

Not quite such a big fan on record as I think his albums tend to have a fair bit of filler. Always a few belters though - listened to Feel the Lightening ad nauseum last summer.

Well chaps he popped into Stat World via this weeks The Complete Guide To Everything podcast, Ska With Dan Deacon.
http://tcgte.com/episodes/

DD went to school with one presenter and his first band contained the other.
He comes across really well, if you like his music I'd definitely recommend you check out the show, although there's no music!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here