Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I went on an album buying spree recently and am working my way slowly through them but so far:

Bjork - 'Vulnicura'. I was emailing Hans Kraay Fan Club about this album after a review that I tweeted and I said it was quite experimental but this morning I'm going to take all that back. As background music it doesn't really do the music justice, get yourself some headphones and listen to it properly and it becomes one of her most accessible albums for years. The production is top-notch and so many wonderful surprises that you instantly want to go back and listen again to hear the bits you missed the first time round. And it's incredibly sad, even for Bjork. Listen to this in the wrong mood and you'll be blubbing like a baby. There is a back story to many songs on the album so quite understandable but Bjork has that knack that very few performers: Sinead O'Connor, Nina Simone, Daniel Johnston, Mark Everitt are others that come to mind where you feel they are revealing their biggest darkest secrets with their songs.I reckon this album will probably go down as one of her greatest, it's certainly turning into one of my favourites already.

Diagrams - 'Chromatics' Not so much a band as a singer/songwriter from Streatham, there's a darkness to the album that I like a lot. It's very much in Belle and Sebastian territory with the delivery of the tunes (especially with tracks such as Gentle Morning Song and The Light And The Noise) and the female harmonies behind the guitar ballads. I have listened to the album about 4 or 5 times now and I tried and failed to find any fillers - every single tune stands out on its own as potential for a singles release. It's not just twee though, because there's other heavier and edgier influences too. Listen to the track 'Brain' and there's a big love of Ian Brown coming through too.

Marks out of 10? I'm nervous of scoring these too highly but if pushed I'd say Vulnicura is a 9/10 and Chromatics is a very solid 8/10. It's been a very good year so far for music and I've yet to listen to Viet Cong or Sleater Kinney.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Nipping into Resident records before the match for the Viet Cong album.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been giving that Viet Cong album a listen this morning and I'm happy that it's dispelled some of my preconceptions. I was worried it was another Royal Blood type affair with crunching guitars throughout and little variation but there's a fair bit more to it and am enjoying being pleasantly surprised.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've been giving that Viet Cong album a listen this morning and I'm happy that it's dispelled some of my preconceptions. I was worried it was another Royal Blood type affair with crunching guitars throughout and little variation but there's a fair bit more to it and am enjoying being pleasantly surprised.

Do you know the rhythm section were in Women, who released one of my favourite guitar records of the last 10 years in Public Strain? It is the antheisis of Royal Blood's amped up bludgeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_1eHJOpe8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmwy_ZU6zQ

And a beauty from their first album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DptUR5kz3jI

They had a massive onstage bust up and split in 2011. Their outstanding guitarist Chris Reimer died in 2012 at the age of 26, which ended any hopes of a reunion. Awesome live band - I expect the Viet Cong show at Green Door on the 8th is going to be special.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I didn't know, cheers. Thanks for the info!

...and you're spot on about them NOT being Royal Blood. No offence to the Royal Blood fans but just not my cup of tea.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Took delivery of the Tamen Shud album this weekend. Whilst there is an expected drop-off in intensity from the live show it still holds up very well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Only managed one listen so far- the seven tracks fitted perfectly well into my return car drive to work. Really enjoying it. Not really familiar with Women so will give that a belated listen too.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm going to be quite contrarian here:

The Viet Cong album: sounds like The Mission, Interpol and The Rapture in a blender. That's not necessarily bad, but is mostly a mess. Interesting rhythmically, sonically often reminds me of hearing tests I take on a regular basis. I ended up longing for some kind of memorable tune - the one that sounded the most like Interpol got closest to it, but would have stood out on Interpol's third album. Actually found it diverting and enjoyable the first time, but less so on each repeated listen. That last track - Death - goodness me: the sound of the worst support band in the world outstaying their welcome on stage whilst you dream of the main act.

Diagrams: that is not a Streatham accent, Buzzer! Anyway, really like the first track, the rest IS filler, albeit very pleasant filler. Vocals become boring after a while - it's a 6 out of 10: file under easy listening. Could never appreciate Tunng either.

My wait for the first decent album of 2015 continues........

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

The Viet Cong album: sounds like The Mission, Interpol and The Rapture in a blender. That's not necessarily bad, but is mostly a mess. Interesting rhythmically, sonically often reminds me of hearing tests I take on a regular basis. I ended up longing for some kind of memorable tune - the one that sounded the most like Interpol got closest to it, but would have stood out on Interpol's third album. Actually found it diverting and enjoyable the first time, but less so on each repeated listen. That last track - Death - goodness me: the sound of the worst support band in the world outstaying their welcome on stage whilst you dream of the main act.

Diagrams: that is not a Streatham accent, Buzzer! Anyway, really like the first track, the rest IS filler, albeit very pleasant filler. Vocals become boring after a while - it's a 6 out of 10: file under easy listening. Could never appreciate Tunng either.

Ha! Yes. Sheffield! Apologies about that. I was thinking about a mate of mine from Sheffield who lives in Streatham. Very harsh reviews though!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Very harsh reviews though!

It's composing the consolidated year-end accounts - it's making me irascible and unsatisfiable. Only Chris O'Grady and Rohan Ince can snap me out of my deep blue funk. IFRS 10 and IFRS 12 and PwC are slowly poisoning my every thought. I have a diluted EPS number to calculate.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's composing the consolidated year-end accounts - it's making me irascible and unsatisfiable. Only Chris O'Grady and Rohan Ince can snap me out of my deep blue funk. IFRS 10 and IFRS 12 and PwC are slowly poisoning my every thought. I have a diluted EPS number to calculate.

So glad I gave all that up. Systems accountancy is the way forward.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

The Go Team have been recording again. Out in March.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Q: Is there any Hip-Hop songs from 2015 so far that can hold a candle to Lupe Fiasco - Mural?

http://genius.com/4729627/Lupe-fiasco-mural

A:

tumblr_lz9izkRW5R1r3zat8.gif

Lupe is BACK. Tetsuo & Youth his best album since his legendary debut Food & Liquor. 8 minutes of straight fire.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
New LP March. Komedia April. Huzzah!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Is it just me or are Viet Cong the new F#ck buttons? Good to see Ghostphoet back too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here