Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Clearly this is all opinions though.

Indeed. So while we're on opinions, I reckon

From Her to Eternity, Firstborn is Dead, Kicking Against the Pricks, Your Funeral..., Tender Prey is the best Nick Cave run, although like Bowie's 1970s albums you could pretty much take any series of 5 consecutive NC albums until the rather dull Nocturama screwed it up.

Edit: on second thoughts.

Your Funeral..., Tender Prey, The Good Son, Henry's Dream, Let Love In is the best run.

Drop Your Funeral... off the beginning if you want to include Live Seeds in there...

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

From Her to Eternity, Firstborn is Dead, Kicking Against the Pricks, Your Funeral..., Tender Prey is the best Nick Cave run, although like Bowie's 1970 albums you could pretty much take any series of 5 consecutive NC albums until the rather dull Nocturama screwed it up.

The Good Son all the way up to Boatman's Call is my favourite sequence although the next one along Henry's Dream to No More Shall We Part could sway me also. Abbatoir Blues to Dig Lazarus Dig and chuck in the 2 Grinderman albums and you've got a damn good set of 4 sequential albums too. That Push The Sky Away album though is a huge let down for me. Terrible Dad rock with only a few half-decent tracks on it.

I might look at Bjork albums....and then Tricky albums after this. I like this game!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

From Her to Eternity, Firstborn is Dead, Kicking Against the Pricks, Your Funeral..., Tender Prey is the best Nick Cave run, although like Bowie's 1970 albums you could pretty much take any series of 5 consecutive NC albums until the rather dull Nocturama screwed it up.

Edit: on second thoughts.

Your Funeral..., Tender Prey, The Good Son, Henry's Dream, Let Love In is the best run.

Drop Your Funeral... off the beginning if you want to include Live Seeds in there...

No live albums. Agree with you on Cave, it's only really Nocturama that interupts until present day.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
If you'll allow me the first one...I'd forgotten what a great run this was:

Chronic Town
Murmur
Reckoning
Fables of the Reconstruction
Lifes Rich Pageant

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
If you'll allow me the first one...I'd forgotten what a great run this was:

Chronic Town
Murmur
Reckoning
Fables of the Reconstruction
Lifes Rich Pageant

Drop Chronic Town off the beginning and add Document at the end and it gets 10x better in my opinion.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Drop Chronic Town off the beginning and add Document at the end and it gets 10x better in my opinion.

For whatever reason Document never landed with me. It just felt too studied and less emotionally honest and affecting. Long time since I've heard it tho so shall give it a spin.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
For whatever reason Document never landed with me. It just felt too studied and less emotionally honest and affecting. Long time since I've hear it tho so shall give it a spin.

When it first came out I was disappointed too, after the brilliance of Fables and Pageant. For many many years Fables was my favourite. But as time went by I found myself listening to Document more and more and it grew on me.

Now it's my favourite by far and gets played more than all the rest of my REM back catalogue combined. Funny how your opinions change.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
of Montreal - Aldhils Aboretum, Satanic Panic In The Attic, The Sunlandic Twins, Hissing Fauna Are You The Destroyer? , Skeletal Lamping
Sleater-Kinney - Call The Doctor, Dig Me Out, The Hot Rock, All Hands on The Bad One, One Beat (The Woods makes it six and two listens in I reckon the new album will make it 7)
Led Zepplin - 2,3,4, Houses of The Holy, Physical Graffiti
Prince - Take your pick from Dirty Mind to Sign O The Times

I reckon Bradford Cox and Lockett Pundt of Deerhunter have their own personal ones across Deerhunter and their solo projects.
Campfire Songs gets in the way of one for Animal Collective.
Have U2 got one? I count 4 up to and including Joshua Tree.... (*awaits flaming*)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Autobahn, Radioactivity, Trans Europe Express, The Man Machine, Computer World.

This is some run and includes the hugely hugely influential Trans Europe Express. A full artistic masterpiece and in some people's minds, mine included, the starting point of modern electronic music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have U2 got one? I count 4 up to and including Joshua Tree.... (*awaits flaming*)

Had they not bothered with Rattle Hum they'd have the full 5 as Achtung Baby is a damn fine album. As is Zooropa.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fela Kuti - Why Black Men Dey Suffer, Open & Close, Shakara, Roforofo Fight, Gentleman (done in 3 years, doesn't even include my favourite album - Confusion)

Can't get one out of Beck, suprisingly, Midnight Vultures gets in the way.

Last edited:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
When it first came out I was disappointed too, after the brilliance of Fables and Pageant. For many many years Fables was my favourite. But as time went by I found myself listening to Document more and more and it grew on me.

Now it's my favourite by far and gets played more than all the rest of my REM back catalogue combined. Funny how your opinions change.

I rarely play REM these days - it's all too familiar. I hate that tipping point where a album can offer you few if any surprises or new insights. When I do play REM it's most likely to be Murmur or Reckoning but that's more to do with nostalgia than anything else.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fugazi - Margin Walker, Repeater, Steady Diet of Nothing, In on The Kill Taker, Red Medicine
Brian Jonestown Massacre - Their Satanic Majesties Second Request, Thank God For Mental Illness, Take It From the Man, Give It Back, Strung Out In Heaven (done in 2 years!!)
Talking Heads - 77, More Songs About Buildings and Food, Fear of Music, Remain In Light, Speaking In Tounges (this might well be my favourite one yet.)
Roxy Music - Roxy Music, For Your Pleasure, Stranded, Country Life, Siren
Iggy Pop/ The Stooges - The Stooges, Fun House, Raw Power,The Idiot, Lust For Life

Can anyone make a case for Dr. John?
The Great Escape gets in the way of one for Blur doesn't it? (Haven't actually listened to that album for 15 years or so.)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I rarely play REM these days - it's all too familiar. I hate that tipping point where a album can offer you few if any surprises or new insights. When I do play REM it's most likely to be Murmur or Reckoning but that's more to do with nostalgia than anything else.

Nothing wrong with Reckoning. My fondest REM memory of all is seeing them at the Hammersmith Palais in 1985 and the amps failed about halfway through the set. They did a mind-blowing unplugged version of So. Central Rain whilst the techie people fixed the problem. Beautiful.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Nothing wrong with Reckoning. My fondest REM memory of all is seeing them at the Hammersmith Palais in 1985 and the amps failed about halfway through the set. They did a mind-blowing unplugged version of So. Central Rain whilst the techie people fixed the problem. Beautiful.

Wow - jealous. Was that the tour when Stipe was peroxide blonde with no eyebrows and (when I saw them) had 'dog' written on his forehead? I get them mixed up but if so I think I saw them at Rock City and they were on fire. Good times.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Neil Young...6 cracking albums in 6 years. Mental.

Everybody Knows this is nowhere
After the Goldrush
Harvest
On the Beach
Tonight's the Night
Zuma

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Super Furry Animals: Radiator, Guerilla, Mwng, Rings Around The World, Phantom Power.

And they kept it going with Lovecraft and Hey Venus too.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Wow - jealous. Was that the tour when Stipe was peroxide blonde with no eyebrows and (when I saw them) had 'dog' written on his forehead? I get them mixed up but if so I think I saw them at Rock City and they were on fire. Good times.

Peroxide blonde certainly. Don't remember the eyebrows or 'dog'. But then I was drunk for much of the 1980s, so my memory isn't guaranteed perfect...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here