Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...and if you're still not convinced by that last Shamir track then this will swing the deal, guaranteed. Reminds me of Calvin Harris's first album.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ones I wouldn't bother with...

Brandon Flowers new one. It's rubbish. Total rubbish.
James Bay. Thinks he's something special. He's not.
Marc Almond. Never reaches above 6/10 and more often hovers around 4/10
Major Lazer. Law of diminishing returns. Joke is getting flat.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am really enjoying Django Django's new one, not that it's much of a progression from the first.

Their debut amazed me on its first few plays but slowly began to get boring. Then I played it again a few weeks ago in preparation for getting the new one and loved it again.

Born Under Saturn is undoubtedly more of the same. It's sort of Beach Boys meets baggy with a touch of The Beta Band thrown in for good measure (unsurprising given the family / area links).

First crack at the new Hot Chip one this evening. Needs a few more plays but again found it very enjoyable without breaking new ground.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've also just got the new Unknown Mortal Orchestra album on Spotify / Sonos ahead of a very likely purchase (like, almost imminent). A sort of trippy Prince / Bruno Mars meets electronica delivered as a concept album about a polyamorous break up. Which is a good thing. I think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Their debut amazed me on its first few plays but slowly began to get boring. Then I played it again a few weeks ago in preparation for getting the new one and loved it again.

Born Under Saturn is undoubtedly more of the same. It's sort of Beach Boys meets baggy with a touch of The Beta Band thrown in for good measure (unsurprising given the family / area links).

First crack at the new Hot Chip one this evening. Needs a few more plays but again found it very enjoyable without breaking new ground.

Totally agree with your views on both albums (doesn't Django Django work well loud and when it's sunny? Great stuff) Hot Chip is a grower for sure; Hurache Lights, Dark Night, Need You Now and the title track all get better with repeat plays. If you can see them live then do as they are on top form.

As an aside, I listened to Made In The Dark for the first time in a long time and it felt slightly dated after listening to the new one and seeing them live. Especially Ready For The Floor which was a powerhouse of a track the night before.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I've also just got the new Unknown Mortal Orchestra album on Spotify / Sonos ahead of a very likely purchase (like, almost imminent). A sort of trippy Prince / Bruno Mars meets electronica delivered as a concept album about a polyamorous break up. Which is a good thing. I think.

And on rather splendid pink vinyl.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Another album that I would advise avoiding is the Cathal Smyth 'A Comfortable Man'. He's better known as Chas from Madness so it was a surprise to hear this largely acoustic, folky album by him. It comes across as a middle-aged man having a midlife crisis, hence the title I guess but the subject matter - his general inability to be happy despite being materially well-off, his angst at world politics is delivered in an incredibly trite and obvious way. His songwriting skills on this album barely lifts above sixth-form. There's a song called "Goodbye Planet Earth" where he does actually sing "...mother Earth is dying in pain...". How did that get past quality control? It's an appalling line from a woeful tune on a very bland album.

Marina and the Diamonds 'Froot'. - I'm not particularly an afficionado of Ms Diamond but does all her music sound like the UK entry for Eurovision?

Blow Monkeys 'If Not Now When?' - not ever, if this comeback album is anything to go by. Pub rock at best.

Barbarossa - 'Imager'. I've been a fan of James Mathe for some time and he does (or used to) do a great line in lo-fi electronica, up until now he's recorded mainly DIY and with Casio binatones and the like but with a new record company he's taken a slightly more, I want to say 'grown up' but that's not the right word, mature(?) attitude and his music is now fuller, deeper and bassier. It's still very soulful though and his falsetto singing is as good as ever. Anyways, I do like this album.

Ceremony - The L-Shaped Man'. Ah, now this is more like it. The band name is a big clue as to their influences and you'll hear early New Order riffs, delivery similar to the Editors or Bauhaus and some no-nonsense drumming.

Shilpa Ray - 'Last Year's Savage'. Nick Cave has raved about her and with good reason, she tells a great story and delivers it usually with keyboard, organ, harmonium accompaniment. Her stye is sort of Rock Opera, that Amanda Palmer, Fever Ray kind of sound but she sounds a lot like Debbie Harry to my ears so it gives it a very strange and pleasant sound.

Du Blonde - 'Welcome Back to Milk'. Beth Jeans Houghton has re-invented herself and no more angry folk singer with acoustic guitar. She's got the full band behind her and now a fully-fledged rock chick. It works really well for her.

Soley - "Ask The Deep'. One of my favourite Icelandic singers returns with more of the same. Haunting melodies, ethereal charm...

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I've been listening to a LOT of new albums of late (was loaned a load of promos) and might try to summarise a few on here although I stopped last time as I wasn't sure anyone was reading them and so I thought I was just wasting time and energy.

I am pretty confident that your recommendations and views are highly regarded by many on here.
I often end up purchasing some of yours (and others) suggestions that I would never have come across if it wasn't for this thread. That said, you won't see me sticking up any of my own ideas unless NOW THATS 90 is your bag :wink:

It's an invaluable thread for finding new and interesting stuff and it costs me a small fortune.
Keep up the good work guys.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Du Blonde - 'Welcome Back to Milk'. Beth Jeans Houghton has re-invented herself and no more angry folk singer with acoustic guitar. She's got the full band behind her and now a fully-fledged rock chick. It works really well for her.

I really like her, I think she's super talented and was totally on board with the first record.

This one is a solid effort, I'll reserve full judgement til I see it live, I reckon it'll be really good. Dramatic move to ditch the name though, I think people would have understood if this was released under her own name, it's not as if the debut was meat and potatoes fare. I just thing its a shame for her that she's going to lose some of her audience and momentum.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am pretty confident that your recommendations and views are highly regarded by many on here.
I often end up purchasing some of yours (and others) suggestions that I would never have come across if it wasn't for this thread. That said, you won't see me sticking up any of my own ideas unless NOW THATS 90 is your bag :wink:

It's an invaluable thread for finding new and interesting stuff and it costs me a small fortune.
Keep up the good work guys.

Thanks v much for the kind words. I'll continue then!

One album I've listened to a few times and won't be returning to is Florence and the Machine 'How Big How Blue How Beautiful'. I guess that her style just isn't my bag. I've read reviews where they say she's ditched the theatrics and homage to Stevie Nicks and Kate Bush but I genuinely can't hear much difference between this and her previous output. There's loud tunes and there's quiet tunes. The loud tunes invariably have a quiet opening and then build to the crescendo at between the 1 minute and 1 minute 30 mark. The quiet ones sound like she's going to get loud any moment but she holds back. Maybe her voice is as much a curse as it is a gift but I'm not sure after listening to the new long player 3 or 4 times that I could pick any of the tunes out in a line-up with her earlier stuff. In fact, there's nothing too memorable about any of the new tunes. They're loud or quiet.

But one that I would recommend is Bop English 'Constant Bop'. He's a Texan and it shows but add to the country boy some glam rock, some Southern blues, some funk too. Imagine asking Marc Bolan doing the soundtrack to a Smokie and the Bandit film and you'll get an idea of the all-round smiles and lack of pretension that the album has. It's one of those feelgood bands that get you doing air guitar around the kitchen or nodding your head to whilst driving. This is what I'm rambling on about:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Another one here who mostly lurks and learns so carry on everyone please. [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] I've been all over that Shamir album today. Love it :thumbsup:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Bop English is playing Sticky Mike's in Brighton on Tuesday, can't wait. Always enjoyed Petralli's stuff with White Denim.

Also got tickets for UMO later in the year - need to give the new record a listen. Couple of really great tracks at the beginning of II but the rest left me a little disappointed, hoping for more consistency from the new one.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Talking of World Music, the Owiny Sigoma Band are back with a new album shortly and have released this as a taster of what to expect. They're a Kenyan/London band with the Londoners being jazz, techno, funk musicians and the singers being Kenyan. It works and works very well, their first album a few years back was an absolute belter.

[yt]RzKk7LWFItM[/yt]

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Another one here who mostly lurks and learns so carry on everyone please. [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] I've been all over that Shamir album today. Love it :thumbsup:

Another lurker here, keep up the good work Buzzer and the rest of you :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Nocturnal Sunshine (Maya Jane Coles alter ego) has been played a lot and if dubby techno is your bag then this might interest you.

I actually thought I'd found this one by myself but there you go mentioning it three or four pages back. Absolutely right up my street. House does dubstep does techno with vocals. Bloody brilliant.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
There's a few Fall fans here isn't there? What are we making of Sub-Lingual Tablet?

A good Fall album, the best since Your Future, Our Clutter, imo.

The third and easily best album they have released on Cherry Red. Although Re mit and Ersatz before that were, even in ME Smiths admission, pretty mediocre. New live favourite Dedication not Medication sounds better in the flesh but is still one of the stronger tracks. Quit iPhone contains typical Smith ranting and Auto Chip is ten minutes of brilliance. Probably the best they have done since Fall Heads Roll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here