Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2023

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm behind with this one (as I am with most album releases these days) because it was released last year, but Riderless Horse by Nina Nastasia is one of the most profound albums I've listened to. I rarely focus on lyrics, but these are compelling. It's another Albini production/'engineering' (all, if not most, of her work is), and it's strip-backed, just an acoustic guitar and her voice throughout. If all of this is not for you, ignore; if it is, dive in. I'd say it's best listened to alongside the below article, although which you tackle first is up to you:

See also:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been listening to the new Teeth of The Sea recently. Very good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm behind with this one (as I am with most album releases these days) because it was released last year, but Riderless Horse by Nina Nastasia is one of the most profound albums I've listened to. I rarely focus on lyrics, but these are compelling. It's another Albini production/'engineering' (all, if not most, of her work is), and it's strip-backed, just an acoustic guitar and her voice throughout. If all of this is not for you, ignore; if it is, dive in. I'd say it's best listened to alongside the below article, although which you tackle first is up to you:

See also:

Interesting read. I’ll listen to the album this afternoon.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Like this debut LP from new band 'Genn'. Seem to be getting decent word of mouth on the street too.

Attachments

• genn.jpg
    genn.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 23

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I often have music on in the background, and use it as background. To appreciate it, you have to give this album your attention.
I mianly listen to music in the background as I listen whilst working. But I also make/tale time to listen to albums with nothing but a tea or coffee....I'll do this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Blind River - Bones for the Skeleton Thief.

This is the third Blind River album, there was no 'second album syndrome' with Made of Dirt and this certainly isn't a 'difficult third album' with this one. Outstanding hard rock, thoughtful and angry lyrics, powerful band live, if you like it fast and loun give this one a listen.

Particularly like this track

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Everyone's favourite Chilean pysch band Follakzoid have a new long player out today, it's called V and continues their journey into electronic areas. Upon first listen it is superb. Coffee and Chilean psych is the perfect way to start the day.

Vinyl is on order and a vinyl repress of the second album arrived yesterday. Happy Friday indeed.
Not quite sure what’s occurred here, played that V album on Spotify and it rattled through a 17 minute track in about 60 seconds. What gives?

Edit: I’ve just gone back into it and it’s playing fine now.
Very strange

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not quite sure what’s occurred here, played that V album on Spotify and it rattled through a 17 minute track in about 60 seconds. What gives?

Edit: I’ve just gone back into it and it’s playing fine now.
Very strange
Weird, I had issues with Spotify yesterday for the first time ever; it stuttered a number of times.

What do you think of V?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I often have music on in the background, and use it as background. To appreciate it, you have to give this album your attention.
I gave this a listen last night; just me and the album and no distractions. I agree, it's profound but also very compelling and moving. I am glad I read the article you posted before listening as it provides complete context; in this case I really do think enhanced the listening experience. I'm listening again now.

Thank you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having listened it’s the sort of thing I like, I instantly refer to Lemon Jelly. However it is long but I will listen again probably on my bike or a motorway drive.
:thumbsup:

It's worth checking out their back catalogue as they started off many years ago as quite a scratchy krautrock pysch band and their sound has evevolved cosiderably.

I know then name Lemon Jelly but have not knowingly listened to them.....I'll rectify this over the weekend.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Everyone's favourite Chilean pysch band Follakzoid have a new long player out today, it's called V and continues their journey into electronic areas. Upon first listen it is superb. Coffee and Chilean psych is the perfect way to start the day.

Vinyl is on order and a vinyl repress of the second album arrived yesterday. Happy Friday indeed.
Everyones favourite Scandi psych band Goat deliver another banger today, 'Medicine'

So gutted to have been away when they played Chalk earlier this year....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I gave this a listen last night; just me and the album and no distractions. I agree, it's profound but also very compelling and moving. I am glad I read the article you posted before listening as it provides complete context; in this case I really do think enhanced the listening experience. I'm listening again now.

Thank you.
You're welcome, and glad it's not just me. It's also a timely reminder of how humans can come out of horrendous situations shining.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The reissue of Maxinquaye by the mighty Tricky is ready collection of as tomorrow.

Lovely.
He lives here these days, often spotted in his neighborhood doing his supermarket shopping and at the local bakery.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m liking the new Teeth of The Sea long player. I believe I have it on vinyl….a load of vinyl recently arrived from the UK, America and Germany which I have yet to open. It’s the fancy dinked version.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
CASISDEAD - Famous Last Words

10/10 - do NOT listen with your kids nearby or probably even your other half. One of the best rap albums to come out of this country. Uncompromising, dark, humorous. Incredible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here