Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums 2022

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not 2022 but just got listening to the latest turnstile album from last year 'Glow On' really a fantastic album.

Black Country, New Road release their new album tomorrow, another off the Speedy Wunderground catalogue and I've really enjoyed the lead up singles as well as their first album (although the re-recorded singles were much worse than the originals). Their lead singer has left and they've said that they will continue as a band but won't play any of the previous songs, a shame as I really like the ranting style of the lead singer. They are meant to be performing at Primavera Sound that I'm attending in June so might get a look at the new sound then.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not 2022 but just got listening to the latest turnstile album from last year 'Glow On' really a fantastic album.

Black Country, New Road release their new album tomorrow, another off the Speedy Wunderground catalogue and I've really enjoyed the lead up singles as well as their first album (although the re-recorded singles were much worse than the originals). Their lead singer has left and they've said that they will continue as a band but won't play any of the previous songs, a shame as I really like the ranting style of the lead singer. They are meant to be performing at Primavera Sound that I'm attending in June so might get a look at the new sound then.

I'm looking forward to it too, and heard a few of the songs when they played at End of the Road, which all sounded good. Thanks for the tip about the singer, who was also their guitarist. Think they'll sound very different without him.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm looking forward to it too, and heard a few of the songs when they played at End of the Road, which all sounded good. Thanks for the tip about the singer, who was also their guitarist. Think they'll sound very different without him.

He said in the statement it was for mental health reasons, so I hope he can find his peace elsewhere, or maybe even return. I heard some of their new stuff at Wide Awake (despite the god awful sound), they played more new stuff than old actually, not sure I was fan of the live show on such a big stage. Had tickets to see them late November at Chalk but they cancelled very short notice which was a shame.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He said in the statement it was for mental health reasons, so I hope he can find his peace elsewhere, or maybe even return. I heard some of their new stuff at Wide Awake (despite the god awful sound), they played more new stuff than old actually, not sure I was fan of the live show on such a big stage. Had tickets to see them late November at Chalk but they cancelled very short notice which was a shame.

Yes, we had tickets for Chalk too, which isn't my favourite venue.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, we had tickets for Chalk too, which isn't my favourite venue.

I don't mind it, when I was 18 I used to go to the haunt it seemed almost weekly to see a gig, so it has that nostalgia, I've seen some great gigs there, but I think I prefer Concorde or The Dome or even smaller venues like Green Door

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't mind it, when I was 18 I used to go to the haunt it seemed almost weekly to see a gig, so it has that nostalgia, I've seen some great gigs there, but I think I prefer Concorde or The Dome or even smaller venues like Green Door

Yes, those are my three favourites. They were probably before your time, but used to really like the Freebutt and Hanbury Ballroom which, like your list, served very different purposes/styles.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The new Eels album is out and is decent enough. Odd couple of tracks to start to be honest but there's a few great tracks on there, my favourite being Grandfather Clock Strikes Twelve. 6.5/10

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I only have a blue hat, which has got a white logo on it :smile:
I was back left-hand corner by the door. What do you make of them?

Have only really heard a few bits. Not heard the album. Enjoy their energy, and the singer is engaging. Think they'll do very well.

Radio 6 are certainly determined to champion them, which is big. And I've heard them popping up as background music on FIFA22 when my lads have been playing - that is probably quite the big deal?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Summer At Land’s End is the fourth in a series of interlinked albums released by San Francisco-based songwriter Glenn Donaldson under The Reds, Pinks & Purples name. It shows him to have perfected his articulate, emotionally intelligent guitar-pop and provides a set of soft, warm songs in which to find comfort and support

https://youtu.be/YlzIJwK_kJs

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Have only really heard a few bits. Not heard the album. Enjoy their energy, and the singer is engaging. Think they'll do very well.

Radio 6 are certainly determined to champion them, which is big. And I've heard them popping up as background music on FIFA22 when my lads have been playing - that is probably quite the big deal?

I think being on FIFA is huge for them, when I first started getting into music, my favourite songs were always fifa tracks, Bloc Party - Helicopter, Club Foot - Kasabian for example, even more modern stuff like a couple of royal blood tracks.

Absolutely adore Glow On. It was my album of the year for 2021 and deserving every bit of the adulation it's got. Love how its roots are still in hardcore, but it breaks so many genre barriers and puts them in a unique spot where they could easily be playing a show alongside the likes of Hatebreed and Knocked Loose one night, but then on stage at Coachella the next day and not looking out of place at all. It's also meant that "Time & Space" has finally clicked with me since going back to it.

Seeing most of those songs live at their Kentish Town Forum show last night only re-enforced how great it is. Just the coolest band and Brendan Yates has such an amazing stage presence. One of the few shows I've been to at the Forum where it was non stop movement across the entire floor section of the venue from start to finish.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
First mix of 2022 can be found here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/sounds-of-the-airing-cupboard-72/

Tracklist:
1. Plague Pits - Golden Age of Carnage
Teutonic darkwave/synthwave
2. Die Kleine (Avant Garde) Hardchor Operette - Eskimonogamy
Baroque grunge-metal operetta(Lead vocalist is a professional opera singer) - their words not mine
3. Pyrophoria - Little Red With A Gun
Mix of metal, hip hop, pop and rock - sometimes all in one track
4. Isserley - Entrails of a Virgin
Doom/sludge metal/electronica
5. Soft as Snow - Rubber Boy
Warped industrial club pop
6. Not In Da Club - Interrobang
Brutal deconstructed electronica
7. Claire Rousay + More Eaze - Same
Abstract electronic pop
8. Exko Bazz - Mmaso
Ugandan MC blends grime, dancehall and hip hop
9. La Roche - Figuyr
Experimental electronica from DR Congo
10. Dominowe - Zulu in War
Electronica from South Africa
11. The Soundcarriers - All The Time
Cinematic 60s psychedelia
12. Tanya Tagaq - Teeth Agape
Inuit folk singer channels Suicide to rage at the injustice against her people
13. Human Susan - Double Dutch
Perky all girl post punk group
14. Jura Elena Sedyte - Shokti
Ambient electronica with improvised vocalising
15. Sign Libra - There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)
The Eurythmics track gets given an organic ambient makeover without losing its pop origins

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here