Album of the Year 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Thank goodness it's not only me. I have heard of about half a dozen and they are pretty random entries, bit of a 60's/70's re release. It's like I'm in a parallel universe.
Mind you most of El Pres's, Uncle Hiney and Wozza's, Chappers etc. and all the other music buffs, selections to me are like music from a parallel universe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'll have a bash at my top 10 or 15 or even 20 a bit later but I notice there are no Cashier No 9, David Lynch, Robag Wruhme, PlanningToRock, Austra, Zola Jesus, Sea of Bees, Garden and Villas, Dengue Fever, the Battles.

And looking at Rounder Records' list I'm not sure the Holy Ghost should be on there. It's a 3 or 4 track EP I think (I have it and it's good but let's not bend the rules...). The Beastie Boys album is a bit 'meh' in my opinion, Mogwai's album is superb and deserving a higher place.

I'll see if Resident Records have announced their topalbums yet. I think I'm probably more in tune with those guys than Rounder Records when it comes to what I like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was talking to a muso mate about end of year lists the other night - his is already complete (M83 topped it if I remember correctly), whereas I've got a stackload of newish albums to get through before I'll start contemplating my list of 20 (including Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Justice, Little Dragon, Malkmus, Yuck and Rounder's runner-up, Suuns).

I'm surprised Modeselektor's album made Rounder's 50 yet Apparat (who together form super side project Moderat) failed to do so.

Also, whilst it probably won't be making my own list, I can see that the SBTRKT album is going to feature high up in virtually every record store and music publication's charts.

And a good shout for the Apparat album, I forgot I have a gold embossed delux version of The Devils Walk album...I'll give it a whirl. Saw him play The Haunt a short while and loved it.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Have to say that being a member of the Rounders club, have heard of most in the list. Surprised at SUUNS and Ford & Lopatin being so high as they were my least favourite of the 11 they've sent so far this year. The War on Drugs album is splendid but my favourite so far has been the Peaking Lights one. Very reminiscent of the Caribou album which was at the top of many lists last year.

Of the more mainstream stuff, enjoyed the Ghostpoet album.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
hmmm, I've only bought the Beastie Boys and Mogwai ones on that list but do hanker after the Horrors (who hail from Sourhend of all places). I'd add to those 2 the following most pleasing purchases of 2011 releasesmade by ggodself in sunny Perth;
Computers & Blues - The Streets
Zonoscope - Cut Copy
Beady Eye - Different Gear Still Speeding
The Strokes - Angels
The Go! Team - Rollling Blackouts
Cake - Showroom Of Compassion
Death In Vegas - Trans-Love Energies (even if the fuckers cancelled their Perth show and gave no reason for it)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
EMA and Dangermouse's Rome are two more cracking albums from this year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to say that being a member of the Rounders club, have heard of most in the list. Surprised at SUUNS and Ford & Lopatin being so high as they were my least favourite of the 11 they've sent so far this year. The War on Drugs album is splendid but my favourite so far has been the Peaking Lights one. Very reminiscent of the Caribou album which was at the top of many lists last year.

Of the more mainstream stuff, enjoyed the Ghostpoet album.

You don't rate SUUNS? I think it's an excellent album. Agree on War on Drugs.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
1. The Vaccines - What did you expect from the vaccines?
2.The Kills - Blood Pressures
3. Pj Harvey - Let England Shake
4. Metronomy - The English Riviera
5. Bombay Bicycle Club - A different kind of Fix
6. Radiohead - Kings of Limbs
7. Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See
8. The Strokes - Angles

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1. The Vaccines - What did you expect from the vaccines?
2.The Kills - Blood Pressures
3. Pj Harvey - Let England Shake
4. Metronomy - The English Riviera
5. Bombay Bicycle Club - A different kind of Fix
6. Radiohead - Kings of Limbs
7. Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See
8. The Strokes - Angles

The Arctic Monkeys album is good. I also rate Alex Turner's Submarine soundtrack. In fact, I think he/they have got better over time as I didn't like the first album.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
hmmm, I've only bought the Beastie Boys and Mogwai ones on that list but do hanker after the Horrors (who hail from Sourhend of all places). I'd add to those 2 the following most pleasing purchases of 2011 releasesmade by ggodself in sunny Perth;
Computers & Blues - The Streets
Zonoscope - Cut Copy
Beady Eye - Different Gear Still Speeding
The Strokes - Angels
The Go! Team - Rollling Blackouts
Cake - Showroom Of Compassion
Death In Vegas - Trans-Love Energies (even if the fuckers cancelled their Perth show and gave no reason for it)

oops, to complete my top ten I forgot about Katalyst's excellent 3rd original effort, Deep Impressions

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
DJ of the year goes to Huey Morgan, ex Fun Lovin Criminal and now Radio 6 jock. Great accent, great music and great chat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports