Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion's Wembley Hoodoo

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
  • Albion have failed to score in four of their six games at Wembley and are yet to win there (D2 L4). It's the most times any club side has played at the stadium without a victory. (BBC website)

Having witnessed all of our non-victories, and based on other visits there, I can't stand the place:

• artificial Americanised environment designed to screw every last penny out of you
  • masterplanning around the stadium, ditto
  • travel a nightmare
  • too f-ing RED
I understand the FA did a deal to fund the rebuild that includes semi-finals being held there for eternity, but particularly for Northern clubs (like the other SF) it makes no sense at all. the only decent thing is the escalators!

Until the next time.....

PG

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's not just the stats it's the hard luck stories and heartache.

I was musing on my trip back last night .... Jimmy Case, Dean Wilkins and Solly March. All Brighton players, famously pictured in tears post match at Wembley Stadium.

Maybe one day we'll be dancing with joy there.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
  • Albion have failed to score in four of their six games at Wembley and are yet to win there (D2 L4). It's the most times any club side has played at the stadium without a victory. (BBC website)

Having witnessed all of our non-victories, and based on other visits there, I can't stand the place:

• artificial Americanised environment designed to screw every last penny out of you
  • travel a nightmare
  • too f-ing RED
I understand the FA did a deal to fund the rebuild that includes semi-finals being held there for eternity, but particularly for Northern clubs (like the other SF) it makes no sense at all. the only decent thing is the escalators!

Until the next time.....

PG
Been to them all. Played 5, draw 1 lost 4.

We haven't even scored since Notts County over 30 years ago!

At least I know its not just me, they'll be loads of other 5 time jinxers.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I’m either a bad fan or my memory isn’t what it once was.
Man U drew
Man U lost
Notts C lost
Man C lost
Man U drew then lost

What’s the game I have forgotten please
Presumably Spurs league match when they were playing there.
You’re correct. Don’t remember it. We lost 2-0.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

• travel a nightmare
  • too f-ing RED

Until the next time.....

PG
We didn't get back to Worthing till nearly 11 in the Love Bus, so lord knows what time the northern based supporters got home? (all on effectively a school night)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Presumably Spurs league match when they were playing there.
That doesn't count though does it.

The other 5 we had earned it on merit in cups or play offs, a regular league match in a temporary stadium isn't the same or with the same "dumped out" Jeopardy.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Unfortunately this is why I've resigned myself to never seeing us in an FA Cup Final, the Wembley hoodoo. Sure I read that no other domestic team has played as many games at Wembley without a win.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Last meaningful scored there was the Gary Stevens equaliser in 1983.....
That's disheartening.

Wendy's goal was in injury time and already 3-0 down so nobody barely celebrated

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

• travel a nightmare
  • too f-ing RED

Until the next time.....

PG
Visually it looks crap and the surrounding area is an appauling mess of very cheap looking high-rises. Back in the day, Wembley Way with the twin towers at the end was iconic.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Been to them all. Played 5, draw 1 lost 4.

We haven't even scored since Notts County over 30 years ago!

At least I know its not just me, they'll be loads of other 5 time jinxers.
I'm one of the unlucky charms and so is my dad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, seen them all and the best by a country mile was the first one, which we should have won.

We have been denied the joy that Smith and Stevens goals brought us in every anti climax since. It is impossible to describe the joy in taking the lead or equalising at a Wembley game. Such a shame you have to beyond middle age to have experienced it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last meaningful scored there was the Gary Stevens equaliser in 1983.....
That's disheartening.

Wendy's goal was in injury time and already 3-0 down so nobody barely celebrated
Memorably a tearful Dean Wilkins even forgot about it himself in the post-match interview.

"I just can't believe we lost that game 3-0"
"It was 3-1 Dean. You scored"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here