Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion vs Charlton 1979

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bear in mind all Vinicombe's books are riddled with errors. It's definitely not Poskett in that photo.

I particularly recall one caption talks of 'Colin O'Sullivan' next to a pic of Sully...

'Twas indeed 2-0, Paul Clark (with a shot that nearly broke the net) and an own goal. The Clark one was in front of the North Stand. Crowd of over 30,000 as well and we KNEW then that we'd get promoted.

But I thought we only got big crowds after 2011 :whistle:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ahh Townsend Thoresen ferries and Panorama holiday board ads! Was the big one that used to be on the roof of the south stand Rediffusion??

You mean this?

westbrom.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Having looked very closely at the 1st photo with Lawrenson and then at the one in dispute, I think I may now agree with you. The player in the first and second pictures has a mud mark in the same place on the right sock in both photos, Poskett seldom got his shorts or socks dirty :smile:

Definitely Lawro.

Google images of Poskett and Lawro, show Lawro looked like that then with jet black hair then; Poskett didn't.

As to slimness, Lawro was young and slim then.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Best one against Charlton was 82/83
7-0 we beat undefeated Charlton that day bloody brilliant !!!
Great sight for a young lad of 14 to behold , his team mashing the league leaders and undefeated !! :albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign:

CANT WAIT FOR TONIGHT CMON YOU STRIPES !!!!:albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::bhasign::bhasign::bhasign::amex::amex::amex::amex::falmer::falmer::falmer::falmer:

Actually 1983/84 (season after we were relegated from Division One). We are a similar age, I was standing on the North Stand as a 15 year-old.

Jul 5, 2003
Actually 1983/84 (season after we were relegated from Division One). We are a similar age, I was standing on the North Stand as a 15 year-old.

Agreed, it was 1st October 1983 which coincided with my 25th birthday. I was talking to a Charlton supporter at work the following week and he said that it was the best disply of finishing he had ever seen. Case scored 3 that day.

It wasn't like we completely dominated the match, we probably had eight chaces and scored seven of them. We were just so clinical.

I used to love being in the North Stand and that day was extra special.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
To be honest I was an East Stand lad then used to stand right next to the away supporters in the corner !
Can't remember why I was in the North that day ?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Those menacing spikes on the fences in 79. Treat people like animals and they will behave like animals.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here