Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion /Union SG - Europe Question

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
According to a past article on The Athletic, the precedent is that the 2 clubs are fine as long as the same person doesn't have 'decisive influence' over both. Although Tony Bloom owns the majority of USG shares, his voting rights are less than 50%, so he doesn't have 'decisive influence'. It's clearly been thought through well in advance.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has anyone actually read the article (or should I say couple of paragraphs)? It's evidence of crap journalism. There is no evidence presented to suggest Uefa are even looking at this. The 'hack' has just pointed out one of Uefa's rules.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I have to say I have always been a bit uncomfortable with the relationship with USG. If another PL team had been doing this (and I suspect there are) I’d have been having a go. whilst I am sure we get good advantage from it, I think it’s something that probably needs closing for the good of the game.
There are loads of current and former Prem clubs with similar in place…

Man City,
Chelsea,
Leicester,
Sheffield United,
Notts Forest,
Watford,
Brentford,
Bournemouth,
Southampton,

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
There are loads of current and former Prem clubs with similar in place…

Man City,
Chelsea,
Leicester,
Sheffield United,
Notts Forest,
Watford,
Brentford,
Bournemouth,
Southampton,
Also, RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg played against each other in the Europa League 5 years ago, so there's precedent to allow Albion and USG to compete.

In order for this to be allowaed, both clubs made changes to separate club staff into roles supporting only one of the two clubs each. As far as I'm aware, Albion and USG operate completely separately, with no sharing of resources, so this already is not an issue.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No mention of RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig
There is. The article says:

In 2017, Uefa investigated Red Bull Salzburg and RB Leipzig after they qualified for the Champions League due to their links to the energy drink giant.​
The German and Austrian clubs were only permitted to play in the competition after they underwent “several important governance and structural changes made by the clubs [regarding corporate matters, financing, personnel, sponsorship arrangements, etc.]”, Uefa said in a statement.​
Once the changes had been made “the CFCB deemed that no individual or legal entity had anymore a decisive influence over more than one club participating in a Uefa club competition”.​

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is. The article says:

In 2017, Uefa investigated Red Bull Salzburg and RB Leipzig after they qualified for the Champions League due to their links to the energy drink giant.​
The German and Austrian clubs were only permitted to play in the competition after they underwent “several important governance and structural changes made by the clubs [regarding corporate matters, financing, personnel, sponsorship arrangements, etc.]”, Uefa said in a statement.​
Once the changes had been made “the CFCB deemed that no individual or legal entity had anymore a decisive influence over more than one club participating in a Uefa club competition”.​
My bad.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Trying to look at this fairly it just doesn't seem right that 2 clubs owned by the same person should play against each other in a competition. Sorry Bloom may not make decisions on a day today basis but as the person who bought the club if he rings them up They will listen. There is only one person who would have agreed to a playing budget etc.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Trying to look at this fairly it just doesn't seem right that 2 clubs owned by the same person should play against each other in a competition. Sorry Bloom may not make decisions on a day today basis but as the person who bought the club if he rings them up They will listen. There is only one person who would have agreed to a playing budget etc.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Do you really think a guy like Tony Bloom would risk anything like that and see one of us or USG miss out on Europe. He knows the rules and that’s why his co-investor Alex Muzio is the chairman, he is the one who will have final say on everything. Tony has absolutely no input into the day to day running of the club and there is no link at a boardroom level. The shares Bloom owns in USG are in no way linked to Brighton. This is an extension of personal/private portfolio.

As a poster above said this seems nothing more than click bait and given previous allowances given to the Red Bull clubs I’d be incredibly surprised if there was anything to worry about.

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
Do you really think a guy like Tony Bloom would risk anything like that and see one of us or USG miss out on Europe. He knows the rules and that’s why his co-investor Alex Muzio is the chairman, he is the one who will have final say on everything. Tony has absolutely no input into the day to day running of the club and there is no link at a boardroom level. The shares Bloom owns in USG are in no way linked to Brighton. This is an extension of personal/private portfolio.

As a poster above said this seems nothing more than click bait and given previous allowances given to the Red Bull clubs I’d be incredibly surprised if there was anything to worry about.
Villa owners had to make changes yesterday after a 2day Uefa meeting, shame they couldn't clarify our position yesterday as well. Another two nights bed wetting for me then. Like you Joey Jo Jo Jr I would be really surprised if Anything happened but then we are talking Uefa!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
We are the higher ranked club in this instance so USG would be kicked out!

UEFA rules say that in the event of two teams owned by the same entity qualifying for European football the team who qualify for the more prestigious competition would be given the place and the other side forfeit their place. The next qualifier would be the side that finished higher in their domestic league, so in the incredibly unlikely case that UEFA do decide there is an issue with the ownership we’d be the ones missing out.

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
UEFA rules say that in the event of two teams owned by the same entity qualifying for European football the team who qualify for the more prestigious competition would be given the place and the other side forfeit their place. The next qualifier would be the side that finished higher in their domestic league, so in the incredibly unlikely case that UEFA do decide there is an issue with the ownership we’d be the ones missing out.
Kin ell!!!...Nurse, fetch the meds please

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Surely just a quick sale of his shares to his son or any other of his trusted board members would navigate the issues

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Surely just a quick sale of his shares to his son or any other of his trusted board members would navigate the issues
If needed I imagine Alex Muzio would find himself the majority shareholder very quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here